Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

THE NEW UK INCAPACITY TEST

strakerstraker Posts: 1,829
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:42 AM in Health Insurance Issues
HI ALL
this wont effect anyone other than all you in the uk .has anyone that is on the incapacity benefit had a brown envelope land on the mat yet? mine has come and i have filled it in ..BUT after watching a BBC1 NEWS report last night on the subject ..i was horrified at what they are trying to do to us ..that is get back to work regardless of your pain/ condition ..from what i could make of it ..the CAB citizen advice bureau.have been swammped by long term people with all types of pain and disability having there money cut off and them having to grovel to the DSS to get it back.they are contracting out the so called medical side of it to none medical people!! and they make a decision in less than 15 minutes {in some cases} on your ability to work ..they are sending people with advance Parkinson's and people that have just has open heat surgery back to work!! its madness.also they want the long term sickys back to regardless of there position {it because there may be a new government and its close to election time}i think that your medical problems should be taken in to account by your doctor and other medical people that have had contact and know you .rather than someone that dose not know you and wont have the full picture ..watch this space its going to be a nightmare over 60% of people have been rejected already
....DONT DO WHAT I DID GET SOMEONE FROM THE CAB TO FILL YOUR FORM IN
STRAKER
advertisement

Comments

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Very interesting (even from the US). Here in the US we have Social Security Disability which provides montly income for people who are disabled but it can take years to get the benefit. There are also employer based disability plans that are a bit easier to get approved but the medical condition is scrutinized a great deal. I am hoping they don't swing the pendulum too far in the UK in assuming someone has return to work capacity without some full review of tons of records.

When I worked in employer based Short and Long Term Disability we had to be able to show that someone had work capacity, so someone with advanced Parkinson's was never considered a return to work candidate. Others we'd have to examine the claim carefully to look at current condition, treatments, medications along with work and educational history. And there is a defined appeal process, hopefully that's something they'll have for anyone in the UK who finds themselves fighting for their benefits. I also worry for you that lawyers will crop up who aren't sufficiently trained who will try to get people who have been denied benefits to pay them large fees with a promise of "we'll fix it" that they can't keep.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Okay, this is officially depressing and I don't even live in the UK! Well, Tony, I'd invite you to move to the US but with the healthcare changes just signed into law today, our freedoms are starting to be systematically destroyed and who knows what's coming down the pike in the way of unfair treatment.
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled