Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery on thursday!

nursedina001nnursedina001 Posts: 235
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Ok..I'm having the Medtronic SCS implanted on Thursday. What is the recovery like? I've already had a single level fusion L4-L5 and a 360 fusion with revision to L4-S1.

I am worried about the pain involved with the placement since he told me he has to do a laminectomy to fit the stimulator in. I had a lot of thoracic pain just after the trial leads came out. I really have no one to talk to and I'm really starting to get scared. ANY words of advice or words of wisdom will help. I feel very alone! Thanks.....

• I have no words of wisdom, but I did want to drop in and wish you all the best!
    Please post when you are up to it and let us know how you went
    Good luck
  • Being scared is normal I believe with any surgery, but having a positive attitude helps not only with the surgery but recovery too. I have two close friends that have the Medtronic SCS and they both are very happy with the results.....at least 50% reduction in pain. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.:-) Remember, you are not alone....we are all here to support each other.
  • It sounds like you are having surgical leads implanted. I've had a lami before and that wasn't to bad for recovery. After my implant, I had some discomfort with the IPG pocket. Everyone has been different from easy to hard recovery.

I guess I really helped you out there, NOT. Good luck on Thursday, you'll do fine.

• I hope surgery goes well and the SCS will work good for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Dina-
    Congratulations on scheduling your surgery. I haven't ever had the spinal surgeries you have, but would assume recovery from SCS is MUCH easier. I was off 2 days, worked from home for 2 weeks, and then alternated being in the office and working from home for the next two weeks. By week 8, I was traveling for work (begging strangers to lift my luggage off the carousel at the airport). I am 14 weeks out now and walking daily, taking my son to the zoo, etc. The IPG pocket distracts me occasionally, but the stim is amazing.

Medtronic has been very responsive in reprogramming me when requested. I just send up a flare and someone's at my house that day or the next.

Got your grabber ready? Have you put things at arm's reach? You will do just fine. Take a deep breath. Tomorrow is the first day of being in control of your pain.
  • Thinking of you tomorrow - you won't be alone ♥
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • The recovery from implant surgery does seem to vary from person to person. Some have a very easy experience, while others aren't so fortunate. What seems to be normal for most, is that the first 3 or 4 days post op being the most uncomfortable.

The IPG pocket will tend to burn when shifting positions for the first few weeks and then less frequently after that.

I found that wearing comfortable clothing that doesn't put much pressure on the IPG to be one of the biggest keys to being comfortable early on.

A gel style ice pack is also a nice thing to have for those early days.

Let us know how everything went.

• Day 5 now. And I can tell you, it hurts like hell! I got a medtronic and they did a laminectomy. I was in so much pain, that I screamed every time I had to move. Even now that i am home, i am on valium every 4 hours, percocet every 4 hours along with my morphine and neurontin.

But I will tell you one thing, it covers my legs all the way to my mid back. Its like a miracle, a painful one, but still a miracle.

I can't even brush my own hair, or put on my own socks, but this will pass, and all will be good!

Right now i feel stoned out of my gourd and this has taken me an hour to type - im going to sleep.

Yes it hurts like hell, but yes, it is worth it!!
  • I'm glad to hear you have relief from pain in your legs and back. I hope you continue to heal well from your surgery and get your life back. Take care and prayers for your healing. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm so happy for you <:P I really hope this works for you too. It takes some time for the incisions to heal and for you to get used to everything. I had a Medtronic pain pump implanted around 5 months ago and it was around 6 weeks for the soreness to go away. Ask your doctor if you can use ice and/or heat on the painful areas; I was told I could use ice to numb the pain when it was really aggravating me and the muscle relaxers will come in handy as well. Take care and get well soon >:D<