Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post fusion sitting pain

fusionkidffusionkid Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, I had an L5S1 fusion a year ago in January. Since the surgery I've had serious tailbone area pain. My tailbone never, ever bothered me before surgery. I'm currently taking close to 900 mg of naproxen/day. I've sought a second opinion and had another series of MRI's and x-rays but nobody can see anything. The fusion didn't help the back pain either and a 3rd Doc has said that it was most likely the wrong indication. The Surgeon I'm seeing now is trying to isolate the nerve to see where the pain is being referred from. I'm going crazy. I've read alot on tailbone pain but....I decided to jump in and see if I can get some feedback. I appreciate your comments. Thanks

Also-pre-operative indications-annular tear and restricted disc heighth compressing sacral nerve.. ALIF with cage, plate and pedicle screws. pre and post op epidurals in various places and 3 nerve blocks in tailbone area with the 3rd providing some relief for about a month.

Improper screw placement???. I had an L5S1 fusion and continue to have pain. When I look at the films, one of the L5 screws is placed in the disc space an not in the vertebral body. The surgeon says the screw is placed correctly and because of the cancellous bone and blah blah blah. The only reason I grew suspicious was because a 2nd surgeon I sought out for an opinion said the screw wasn't placed correctly. I went back to the first surgeon and he said nonsense. I can't find however, any pictures of a fusion where a screw is placed in the vertebral space during a fusion procedure. btw-I was told I have a solid fusion and the point would be moot anyway. but....

• Have you had a "hardware block?" I'm not convinced how effective they are, but you might ask your new or "second opinion" doctor if that might be a way to determine whether the hardware is causing your pain. It is like an injection containing a numbing agent that is put in more or less on top of the hardware...the theory being that you then do the things that normally cause pain immediately after the injection and for several hours thereafter. If there is no pain, they assume hardware may be playing a role in your pain. If you just have pain like normal, then they conclude the hardware is probably OK.

Also, are you seeing a combination of orthos and neuros? If an ortho did the surgery, you might want to get a second opinion from a neuro spine surgeon, or vice versa.

Have you had any type of "bodywork" or that sort of therapy where they work with soft tissue, the fascia, trigger points, etc? It may be that you have a tight psoas muscle that is pulling your tailbone area out of position, or something similar. I'm just trying to think of some alternatives to the fusion itself....
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are having problems after your surgery. i wanted to just say hello and hope your recovery goes smoothly for you. :D i do hope they can work out your tailbone problem. good luck and drop in anytime! Jenny :)
  • Thank You. I should have registered sooner. I think this will be rewarding.
  • Thank You. I've not had a "hardware block" but am going to ask about it. An ortho did the surgery and currently I'm working with a doc who is known for operating on patients while they're awake-so to speak. The identification process involves injecting a numbing agent into an area and see how much pain reduction one has. Once the area is isolated he operates on the nerve sheaths and periodically awakens you to get feedback on the pain/pain reduction. The initial test on the left lateral lumbar area proved succesful but the 2nd test in the tailbone area was not very productive as there wasn't much pain reduction. I'm going for a 3rd test in April but I don't know where else he could inject to reduce pain that we haven't already tried.

This particular doc is a hand and neck surgeon. I have not been able to get a neuro to render a second opinion. They review the films/symptoms and take a pass.

I'm going to look more into your suggestion about bodywork. The area gets so tender when I press around it briefly though but maybe there's an adjacent area they could work on to relieve the pain. No to go on but I appreciate the feedback. Take Care