Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

swimming after a MicroD

Amanda S YanisAAmanda S Yanis Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I am 3 weeks and a few days past my MicroD. Me and a friend just planned a last minute vacation for us and the kids and were planning on going swimming in the hotel. Now I know I can't do the hot tub because of the fentanyl patch, but I just now realized that I probably can't swim either! I still have a small hole in the middle of my scar that is just within the past few days starting to scab over. I know I should call my dr. in the morning before we leave and check, but it kinda isn't a big deal to me really. I don't expecially like to be seen in a bathing suit anyways LOL. My kids will be disappointed that I won't be able too, and I thought it would be good exercise. But if I shouldn't risk it, then I won't. Or does anyone know of something I can put over my incision to protect it?

• should check with your doctor, but there are waterproof dressings you can get.
    Unfortunately i'm not in the US so I don't know what names they go by there, here we call them Tegaderms, they're like a plastic skin and you can get them in different sizes.
    I know how it feels to disappoint your kids, so it would be nice if you could go swimming.
  • I personally wouldn't risk it. You could wade and what-not, but there are lots of nasties in public pools that you wouldn't want to mess with. You can still have fun I would think, just can't do breath holding contests :)
  • with the last post .keep out of pools for a bit ..i know how frustrating that may sound but you are not fully recovered from you op and that last thing you want is an infection .ALSO remember that its just a repair so dont over do it you dont want to be back in theater again please be careful..
  • I was told no soaking until the scar is completely healed over and no swimming at all until 6 weeks after I had my microdiscectomy. Swimming on your front apparently bends you back more than you should be at this stage of your recovery
  • check with your doctor but I too was told no soaking and I think most folks I heard from were told no swimming until after 6 weeks and it depends on your individual situation.

With my initial MicroD, I was not cleared at 6-weeks to do anything other than walk and/or stationary bike.

It stinks but I guess you can be the designated picture and video taker!
  • Hmmm I'm 3 weeks out of my open discectomy. I guess the surgeries are different because my scar was 100% healed after 1 week and Im already in PT. I also had clear/waterproof bandages that went over my steri strips and not 1 drop of water ever got through and I sometimes take 20 minute showers haha. Anyway, check with the Dr.. maybe you can at least wade into the low end for a dip and come out?
  • I skipped the swimming altogether, I just didn't want to take the risk. (plus I havent' figured out how to shave my legs yet either LOL) I did get to put my feet in the hot tub though. And the kids had a blast. I didn't want to wear myself out swimming either as we are going to the Children's Musuem tomorrow anyways and that will be enough for me! Thanks for all the replies though!!