Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Shoe advice

Gretchen1GGretchen1 Posts: 105
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had TLIF w/instrumentation and decompression at L5-S1 on 2/2/10. Am hoping I will be released to go back to work at my next follow-up appointment on 4/2/10.

Am wondering if any women out there have any suggestions for shoes that are easy on/off, comfortable, good traction on soles, and stylish enough to wear to work in a law office that is "business casual."

I've been wearing my slipper crocs and I see they have an entire line of more work appropriate wear. Anyone have any suggestions on what are easy on/off (slip on preferably), are comfortable and will not have me worried about slipping on any surface?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

• Hi there,

I live in my Merrils. They are fantastic, lots of styles, though many would be way too casual. I usually get them through cabela's, but they do have their own website, I believe.

I am a stay at home mom, so no dress code for me. Not sure if any of their shoes would meet the criteria of "business casual".

Most are slip on, have excellent traction, and very comfortable.

Good luck, hope you find something, Lisa
  • I have found I now can only wear flat shoes. I mean PERFECTLY flat shoes. Thankfully most stores do carry nice slip ons .

I love summer as then I can wear really cute flat sandals lol ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Rockport sports slip ons are very comfortable and light with good tread on the bottom. Recently though I bought Skechers shape-ups and you land on your heels which are made of memory foam and they make you 2' taller. They look smart with slacks they have rhinestones. Similar to MBT shoes. Good luck ad hope you find a good pair that works for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Gretchen,

Google the following, I think you'll find some nice looking, comfortable, supportive shoes (I've had luck w/ these manufacturers):

Merrell (Like Lisa, I swear by them, thy wear like iron, great support/traction. They do have a few styles that don't look like you're going hiking/camping)

Hope this helps.

• Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check out tomorrow when more awake.

I really do appreciate the advice. For some reason shoes seem to be my office managers sore point. Wear a totally inappropriate halter top, no problem, but wear a pair of tennis shoes or flip flops and you'd think the world was going to end.
  • I buy all my shoes from Footsmart. They have all brands of compfy shoes. I have a awful time with shoes because I have Neuropathy in my feet and legs which was brought on by nerve damage. I had a fusion in just about the same place on my spine as you have.
    Footsmart has a web site if you want to check them out.
    Good luck
    Patsy W :H
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I actually juust went ahead and ordered some crocs that look like clogs, or slippers. I know they are ugly but don't care. I find them comfortable and they are definitely easy on and off.

I just decided I'd get a shoe note from my doctor if I have any problems with the office manager.

Thank you again for your suggestions.
  • Just as an aside. You can get stretchy laces and a long shoe horn. Then you can wear running shoes and get in and out of them reasonably well.

I've just forced myself to get them on and off by changing how I do it. It works for me and that way I can wear whatever I want.

Me, I'm a New Balance fan. Own about 6 pairs of them. Then a couple of pairs of Pilotti's. Not he best walking shoe but good driving shoes.

I'm going to look into these Merrell's. I've heard the name thrown around here a lot.
  • Ugh I hate having to wear flat shoes!!! Comfy is great and after this surgery, I am wondering if I will ever be able to wear heels again. I miss them!!

Good luck finding some shoes that work for you Gretchen :)

• You can find many closed shoes that have elastic across the top that make them easy to slip on. Now is a good time to find them as they are more a winter shoe so the discounts are very nice on them. I need a full shoe so there is never a concern that I walk out of them or stumble in them. Some of the tennis shoe manufactures if you look on their web sites you can find shoes that under a pair of pants no one would know they are tennis shoes in reality.

I like the comment about the halter top, as it so true. In a office your feet are under a desk and you would think they would be more concerned about your dress on the upper body than what is under your desk.