Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PLS tell me you're kidding

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 3 1/2 weeks post 360 L4-5 fusion and I have been experiencing abdominal pain that is low on the left side and under my insicion. In addition, I have had some nausea, sharp stabbing pain and last night woke up with intense pain all deep and low on the left side.

I now have a 3:00 CST appointment with my internal medicine as I have the classic signs for a inguinal hernia.....

During the PT today we had to stop, I was rowing and all was good until the 2nd to the last rep of 30, I got sharp stabbing pain, the kind that takes your air away and tears in your eyes....She iced it and wants to put me on hold until we know what's going on.

Gosh, I hope this turns out to be nothing......:(

• I'll be praying for you. I know that feeling of desperation. It seems like we take alot of backward steps during recovery.
  • I'm so sorry you are having this pain.Weren't you having some swelling issues near the incision and did you ever get that resolved? What kind of rowing are you doing in PT? Just doesn't even sound like something I could be doing in a weeks time. I hope everything is all right, you certainly don't need any other complications. Hang in there, just another speed bump! Lynette
  • You are in my prayers , please keep us posted..; )
  • I am so very sorry you are having all this trouble, I hope they figure out what is going on and get you fixed right away. Thinking about you and praying for you. Hope you are ok hon!

• Sending positive vibes and anti-hernia vibes.
  • well my doc is worried and thinks it is highly suspicious for a hernia. So, I see the general surgeon tomorrow. Most likely this is what it has been all along, I just thought the pain was coming from the insicion until yesterday.

PT is now on hold as this has to be fixed first. Lynette I was doing the rowing with my arms only and with very minimal weight, maybe 10 pounds. My surgeon has a very specific protocal that he sends to the therapists. I was going to start aquatics today~if I had, we wouldn't have realized this.

The risk of not getting this fixed in time, is the hernia could "strangle" the intestine.

Evidently, it is uncommon in women, but when they do see it, it is in cases like this, post abdmominal surgery! ugh, so frustrated. and the pain is intense!!!

Thank you for the prayers and support! Shari
  • Wow an inguinal hernia in a woman is rare. I have never heard of one. I know that it is really common in men because before they are born the testes are in the abdominal cavity and they lower. It is at this area that men are susceptible for developing them. I hope everything is okay for you. That's all you need right now. I know during my pre-op labs my urine showed calcium oxalate in it. I freaked cause I have had 8 kidney stones. And that is what they are made out of. They are the worse pain I have ever felt.
    I will keep you in my prayers!!!

• Tonya, she did say they are rare in women, but when you see it, it's offen following and abdomenal insicion. With the pain meds and anesthesia creates constipation/straining.....ugh, I am so bummed!

I have heard from OB/GYN's that kidney stones are more painful than labor.....ugh!

Thank you for thinking of me! Shari
  • I hope all goes well if you need surgery for your abdominal hernia. Thinking positive thoughts and prayers for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Bummer! I'm hoping it is something much less serious. I had a "puss pocket" infection that hurt after surgery, and hurt much more with exercise. It was treatable w/ Keflex antibiotics. That would be far better.
    Good luck, Jim :)))
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Oh Shari,

I am so sorry you are going through that kind of pain and possible surgery again. Good luck with the surgeon. I am sending all kinds of good vibes your way.

• shari! you can't drink beer with me if you have this problem,so you can't!!!Seriously,I so hope everything is ok-please keep us posted=Jeannie
  • and well wishes!! I have read your posts Shari and you have gone through so much. I hope you can get through all this soon so that you can focus on your recovery and start healing.

I wish I could do or say more to help but just wanted you to know I was thinking about you.

Take care,
    good luck,
  • Big time ugh!!

I'll be hoping for the best - do let us know and best of luck! No more surgery!!!!
  • Thank you all so very much for your prayers and well wishes!

I just can't help but wonder how far back this will set me! So bummed!
  • I'm sorry this had to happen to you at this stage of your recovery. I guess it's never a good time to get a hernia huh? We're here for you and pray that you get better soon. Take care
  • Sorry you're having to face more trauma. Let us know how you go with the surgeon.

In the meantime, here's a big hug.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thank you everyone so much for your hugs, well wishes and prayers! I'm trying so hard to be positive. I'm kind of faking it for my hubby's sake as he feels so bad for me. Maybe if I fake it long enough, it will rub off and I'll really start to feel positive.

I hate going to a new doc. I have such security with all my others, we've been through so much.

I researched the surgeon I've been referred to. We went to the same college and med school, but several years apart (I'm older:)). So....I'm wearing a college sweatshirt, figure, it wil give us something to break the ice with and a common bond. Hope it works!

It's time to go! Shari
  • Wow! Just what you need right now! I will be sending good vibes your way. Good luck at the dr. today.

• Sending more hugs, well wishes, and prayers!

You've been through so much and you've handled things so gracefully. I'm hoping that you get better news than you expect today.
  • Shari, I am thinking of you. I hope your appt goes well and there is no need for surgery. Good luck with the sweatshirt, that ought to help any uncomfortable, getting to know you chit chat. LOL

• It is with the most unimaginable pain that I ask you all for prayers for myself and my family. I have just been told that my nephew has passed away. My family is all extremely close. My sibling and I all choose to live here in this city together and to not ever move so that we could raise our families together. We spend alot of time together and vacation together

We are all very, very close. I don't know how we will ever be ok. Words can't describe the pain.

My parents are working on flying here.

My nephew would have turned 24 in 2 days, my other neices/nephew are teenagers, my daughter is only 13.

My faith is greatly shattered! Please keep us all in your prayers, we definately need them.

My back is so sore from crying. Thanks Shari
  • Shari...I'm so sorry and I will say special prayers for you and your family. What a tragedy and I cannot imagine. I'm hurt for you.

Please know you are in my prayers.
  • I am so sorry for your loss, words fail me right now. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
  • I am so sorry for your loss. Will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.Ohh just feel so bad for you. Hang in there. Lynette
  • I am praying for your family.

• Oh Shari, I am sooo sooo sorry for you and your family's loss. How devestaing. I don't pray much, but I will pray for and your family.

Extra Hugs,
  • I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew. I'll pray for you and your family to get though this most difficult time. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew - he was much too young to die. I know you're shattered but keep asking God for strength to cope. This tragedy won't help your pain either.

Sending you a big hug and will say a prayer for you.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • So sorry to hear of the pain, And the tragedy Shari. All prayers are for your family and wellness :(