Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So glad to finally become a part of this group!

texastigerttexastiger Posts: 48
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello to everyone,

The first thing I want to say is "thanks!" Thanks for all the encouragement that you give to each other. Thanks for all the honesty and thanks for all the advice. For those of us who are lurkers--it is truly helpful!

My story will be short so I don't bore anyone. My first fusion was at 19 years old. I had a L4/L5-S1 fusion with screws and rods. The corrected DDD, herniation, spondylolisthesis, curvature corrected to 24 degrees, and probably some other things that I don't remember!

4 sweet boys later (ages 11-2 1/2 right now), and I needed a cervical fusion at C5/C6. The pain in the arms and shoulders was excrutiating and I had begun to lose the use of my right arm from the nerve damage--difficult to take care of a newborn. So when the youngest was 8 months old, I had the cervical fusion and just like my doctor said woke up with NO arm pain! And I continued breast feeding through the experience--don't worry, I pumped out the pain meds--but thats a different story!

Last June, I was broadsided. Within several hours of the accident, my back was not right. After doing 3 epidural steroid injections, physical therapy, etc...my previous neurosurgeon decided I need to see a spinal deformity neurosurgeon. The level (L3) above the fusion has deformed. Practically no disc left, arthritis, etc... Pain in back, hips, buttocks and crazy pain going down the leg.

I am looking at surgery tentatively set for June 11, 2010--I need advance notice trying to arrange everything. The surgery will be from side and back. Replace L3 disc and possibly the level above. Remove hardware from L4/L5/S1 and fuse from S1 to L3 from back.

Yikes! I am scared out of my mind. The first fusion was in 1991--I was 19 and had no responsibilities other than myself. The Cervical fusion was not that difficult for me and I had such immediate relief. But for some reason, I am really freaked out about this one. Anyway, thanks again for everyone. I really have gained alot of knowledge on this site.

Although I hate that so many people are in pain, its nice to know that I'm not alone.

PS: Sorry it wasn't very short :)

• Welcome to Spine-Health. It's nice to have you here, but sorry about your long length of spine problems. And now, yet another. You'll find a lot of information throughout this site including articles and videos and the members on the forum are knowledgeable, friendly and supportive.

It looks like you've got a long road ahead of you, but your name seems to say it all - you're a fighter and will get through this. I think you'll find a lot of help here, whether it's support or answers to your questions.

I understand how scary it is to face another surgery, especially such a large one. But there are those here that have truly walked in your shoes and I hope you find comfort talking with us here.

It's nice to see someone facing something like you're facing but still keeping your humor and a good attitude. It's easy to let spine problems get to you and find yourself in a depression, but it looks like you're prepared to do what you have to for yourself and your family.

I'm sorry that I can't offer anything other than support because I'm not one who has been through what you're dealing with, but I'm here to say welcome and to be there when you need a fellow spiney friend.

Take care of yourself. Look around and post wherever you need to to get the answers and support you're looking for.

• It's natural to be scared because it's probably the biggest surgery that you're having to go through.

It's good that you've been reading the articles and experiences on this site, and we'll give you as much support as we can.

Keep looking forward and give yourself lots of little treats, and a bit closer to your surgery date, prepare things at home, such as cooking/freezing meals, etc. The sticky at the top of the page on post-op must haves has lots of helpful advice, especially the satin sheets.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in and decided to visit!! i am sorry to read you may be facing another surgery. i hope this is not the case. good luck to you and please drop in anytime! Jenny :)