Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

shelle007sshelle007 Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
What pillow or pillow type does everyone use? I have used a lot of different types. I have even made my own pillows. Some pillows work awhile for me then for some reason seem to cause me pain. The one I use now I made and works fine if I am on my left side but if I roll to my back it kills me. When I first made it, it was great.

So I am now in the market for a good supportive pillow. I am probably going to check into a new memory foam neck supporting pillow. I just hate to pay big bucks for something that doesnt work for me or works for a short time. I have literally spent hundreds of dollars on pillows.

What works for you all?

• My pillow is a Tempur-pedic pillow that's made for back and side sleepers. It's about two to three inches thick and tapers down on all four sides. I forget exactly what it's called, but I had gone to one of those stores that specializes in products for spine sufferers and tried a bunch of different pillows. This particular one keeps my spine straight while I sleep on my side (my husband checked while I was testing it out) but is also comfortable when I'm on my back because of the tapered edges.

It was pretty expensive ($125), but that, along with my sleep number bed, have helped me sleep better than I've ever slept before, even before my spine problems.

Good luck find one that works for you. If you're interested in which pillow I'm talking about, please PM me and I'll give you the details.

• Hi,

I have back and neck issues. I use a neck support pillow (its shallow in the middle), I guess it would be called memory foam. Since my last surgery and new neck problems, I can only sleep on my sides. I also put a square pillow between my knees, just a regular pillow. I can't remember what I paid for my neckie pillow, but it makes sleeping more comfortable.

Good luck with your search, Lisa
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hello,

I've tried many different pillows over the past couple of years. I always loved my down pillows, but since my neck has been giving me problems, it's not enough. I've tried regular polyfil pillows, tempur-pedic and other mem foam brands, but finally found a combo that works for me. I have a smaller u-shaped buckwheat travel pillow that I use on top of my down pillows. Now I also use my mattress genie to raise the top of mattress head a bit, two sets of soft down pillows on top of each other, and this buckwheat pillow on top of that. The little buckwheat pillow is not too soft, but not too stiff either. It's moldable just enough but still give me enough neck support. I usually even sleep on my sides with it as weird as it might sound. For the most part, it's helping to keep my head/neck from bending back while I sleep or in another position that causes symptoms. I really think it's a matter of trial and error.