Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Extremely Nervous! :-(

aka_angelic37aaka_angelic37 Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am SOOO nervous and scared that my Neurosurgeon will decide not to operate on me! App. is Monday...I have been told for 15 years that I was too young or that it wasnt bad enough to operate! I cant imagine having to endure this for 10 more years!

Need as many prayers as I can possibly get! I hope you all are having a PAIN FREE day <3 :-)

Will keep you all posted! And thank you in advance for the help you have given me in my many questions, it is much appreciated!

• My prayers are with you....God Bless....
  • I'm sending prayers your appointment goes well on Monday. May you get some pain relief soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hope your appointment goes well on Monday. Be absolutely blunt with your surgeon - describe the pain levels and what quality of life you've got now. I remember saying to my surgeon that the pain was controlling me and I didn't want to have a "slow death". I ended up seeing three neurosurgeons and the last one agreed to operate. Now I'm walking and enjoying life.

Let us know how you go with the surgeon.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I hope the appointment goes well for you on Monday and if the surgery is what you need to get better that they will do it and help rid you of this pain. I know surgery is scary (I go on 4-1) but dealing with the pain for 15 years (6 years for me) is ENOUGH already. God will give you the strength you need to get through it.

Stay strong and praying for you!

• Good luck...I agree with Trish, be blunt about your pain, don't try to undermine it but be honest.

I found out that it is key. The NS will try to protect you as best he can from surgery b/c there are risks associated with that. But if you explain your history, what you tried, your pain, your quality of life, you expectations for the future...he can give you his honest opinion on if now is the time or not. And if the time, how much surgery.

I wish you the best...good luck
  • I hope your appointment goes well on Monday. You have been suffering a long time with your pain and I really hope this doctor will be able to help you.

Please let us know how your visit goes.

• Thank you everyone for your posts! I appreciate it, I do have a good outlook on it the only thing Im worried about is that my Mom is going with me and she is scared of me getting this surgery, maybe I will leave her in the waiting room...haha! Yeah I plan on making sure that he knows that my pain is controlling my life and that is absolutly not ok with me...My pcp has me on Vic 5mg and it barely touches the pain, so I am not getting any sort of pain control at all!

Does any of you know if Neurosurgeons only do operations, cuz I am hoping he wont tell me to go the injection route, have been getting them for 10 + years with the only relief lasting a few weeks....His website says strictly brain, spine surgerys so I am assuming that is all he does??
  • I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
    Sounds like you have been fighting this pain for a long time using conservative methods.
    Hope there will be a solution that will deal with it for you.
    This is a BIG surgery to face
  • Sending you well wishes for Monday. It is so hard to have "all your eggs in one basket". I felt that way too and it's an overwhelming feeling.

Do you have any motor pathway(weakness, tremor, brisk or absent reflexes) symptoms in addition to the sensory pathway (ie pain, tingling, numbness)?

As Jellyhall gently reminded, this is a huge and difficult (but do-able :)) surgery. Which is probably why your mom is worried. If I were in her shoes and my daughter needed this surgery, I'd worry too. :0

What time is your appointment? I will definately keep you in my thoughts and look forward to seeing your post after! take care Shari
  • Thanks you guys....Yes I will let ya know as soon as i know, app is at 11:30am, bringing my laptop so i can look at my MRI which is on a C/D...

I did have nerve damage in my right leg, but havent had a test to confirm it in a few years...

I get more nervous the closer it gets to tomorrow, but i am hopeful!

thank you again for remembering, it means ALOT! *HUGS*
  • Well I am back from my appointment, and the only two options are vertebroplasty, and a spinal cord stimulator, which is not covered by my ins, so the vertebroplasty is my only option, he feels that a spinal fusion or discectomy is too progressive at this point! At the end of my rope, I am going to give the vert a go and see what happens but i may have to get a second opinion or a third for that matter, not willing to live a sedintary life yet, I am only 37....
  • Can you tell us what that is Angelic?
    How invasive is it?
    I really hope that it will give you the much needed relief.

Take care
  • Oh sure :-) it is where they will cement my compression fracture, it is done in his office thru IV sedation, he will make 2 small incisions and inject cement right inside of the bone to stabelize it, he says i have a 60% chance of success, dont know how much pain it will take away if anything but I sure hope so since he says this is my only option at this point...
  • I am glad you are willing to give the vertebroplasty a try, as it might reduce a lot of your pain by providing stabilization within your vertebra.

What's nice about vertebroplasty is that it is minimally invasive. That's always a big, huge, gigantic... plus!

Try to think positive. If this can reduce your pain, you won't have to go through the horrific recovery time of thoracic fusion. Thoracic fusion is a long recovery time and you are extremely sedentary for quite a while.

What areas are you going to have treated?

Hang in there. You are making progress right now.

Thinking of you,

• Sounds like your DR is on top of things. If he can do a"cement job" without anesthesia and only IV sedation you're in luck. Hope that this works for you. It sounds similar to what I'm having next week but mine will be a bit more invasive but no General Anesthesia, so I feel that this is a big plus.

Keep us posted to let us know how this works out for you.

Take good care of yourself. MArsha

• I'm sorry you've been in pain all these years and I know it's no fun at all. At least now there is a chance that the vertebroplasty will relieve some of the pain and hopefully give you a better quality of life. I think it's also a good idea to get a second or third opinion so that you feel comfortable about what you want to do. Please keep us posted and take care :H
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Consider getting a consultation with an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon (who only does spine work). Thus far all my spine surgeries have been done by an OSS and I've had good satisfaction with their approach, technique, etc.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos