Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recent Microdiscectomy and pain-free

gilbertoggilberto Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:42 AM in New Member Introductions
Dear All,

I am new to all of this and have joined the forum out of curiosity more than anything else.

I am male, 46 yrs old and from Yorkshire in the UK. I am 2 weeks post-op L4/L5 microdiscectomy, no meds, and completely pain-free. I have been walking up to 3 miles 3 times a day since day 4.
I only have some low-level residual tingling / cold / numbness sensation in my foot when lying down.

Reading the many posts, I cannot see anyone in a similar position, and I am wondering if this cannot last. Am I one of the success stories? Or is this the calm before the storm? I know I still have the risks of scar tissue and a recurrance to contend with.

Before I agreed to surgery, the neurosurgeon said back to work after 2-3 weeks, and normal physical activity after 8 weeks. He told me that he has had patients playing competitive contact sports after 8 weeks.

I am under no illusions that I will be one of these, and I have decided to take 6 weeks off work, and return to normal physical activity after 12 weeks.

I feel desperately sorry for anyone still in pain post-op, but can anyone relate to my situation?

Best wishes.
IG

advertisement

Comments

• I guess you should consider yourself blessed!

If you have read on the board, you know that everyone's story is a bit different...we all begin at a different point, our bodies heal differently, etc.

Some people are very happy with their outcomes after two weeks. Others are still in pain. Some continue to be happy with their results. Others develop problems. All you can do is follow your doctor's instructions as best you can and hope for the best.
  • You are one of the lucky ones! Good for you! There are success stories such as yours! you do see and hear more about those not as successful because people that have good outcomes move on with their life. It sounds like you are being smart, doing the right things and taking it cautious as a precaution. I think that the fact you are being careful to recover correctly and will be cautious will help you now and in the future. I hope once you are active enjoying life that you will check in once in awhile to let us know how you progress and give others hope.
    Keep up the progress!

Kathy
  • Thank-you for your kind words. It is early days and I will keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck to you all.

IG
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.so glad you stopped by. i have a good friend in Wales and another in Northern Ireland. there are spiney friends all over the world. :D it is so good to read of your excellent recovery. all the best and i hope you continue on the the path you have set out for yourself. :D stop by anytime!! Jenny :)
  • I had a microdiscectomy three weeks ago due to "foot drop" on my right foot. I, like many others have chronic pain. I am one of the lucky ones that have a high tolerance for pain (no meds...ever). The problem is, I am still having pain and the foot drop is not gone. I am having pain in my left leg now. I'm worried about foot drop on the left side now. My question is 1, will the foot drop go away? 2. can I get foot drop on both sides?

Thanks, JG

• welcome Judy G.!! :H i cannot help you with your problem but i am sorry your are having pain... i do hope you find pain relief soon. good luck! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to our forum. So pleased that you're pain free now. Fantastic that you can walk so much already - keep it up as long as you continue to feel well.

Hoping that the rest of your recovery is as good as it has been so far.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • See my post on BAck pain forum (Lumbar Lateral Shift)
  • Hi there..I will check out your other post.
    I wanted to say congrats on successful surgery and for being wise on being cautious.

I'm 3 months post op of revision Microd(the first one didn't work and I suspect it's because there was a piece that was out of site). I'm hopeful this one sticks!

I do know people that are anywhere from 2-10 years out and are still doing just fine with only occassionall tingling like you mention.
  • Hi Gilberto-

I had a microdiscetomy and felt great, walking 3 miles a day after a few days as well. I was back to work in a week and felt fantastic for a few months. But, I continued to play a lot of golf, which is what caused my problem in the first place. I reherniated the disc, and am dealing with it now. So, continue to work on strengthening and stretching, and don't do anything to hurt yourself!
  • Gilberto, I read your lateral shift post yesterday but I'm glad you added that you posted here because I'd forgotten your story. I'm sorry that you're back is having more problems - you didn't knock on wood when you posted here the first time, did you? LOL

UsedToGolf,
    I'm four months out from a 1-lvl TLIF and am cleared to golf. My PT taught me how to golf with my new fusion and hardware without hurting myself. My swing is totally different now and I'll have to do a lot of practice to get comfortable with my new swing and not being afraid to play.

There are special golf pros out there (many more than there used to be) that can teach you to play with a bad lumbar spine and how not to hurt yourself in the process.

Take care,
    Cath
  • I also used to play the best game in the world. I wonder if that contributed to my disc problem initially? I would like to go back to that at some time.

Have just about straightened up my spine now and need to book a flying medical to get the green light to go back to flying instructing. Wish me luck!

IG

advertisement