Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two Week ACDF C5/C6 Post-Op

gharmenggharmen Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my two-week post-op doctor visit today!

Driving restrictions lifted as long as I do not take any pain medications (and no wearing collar). No released for driving into work. Not much problem for me, with laptop I can work anywhere in the world.

I got "fitted" with a Spinalogic Bone Growth Stimulator for my cervical fusion! Not much of a fitting. This thing was meant for lumbar fusions. Basically looks like a game controller steering wheel. It has a cervical "pillow" attached to it to make it useful for cervical fusions.

The good news about this thing is I only have to use it for 30 minutes a day. The bad news is that I probably have to be sitting still or laying down because I cannot see any way to attach it around my neck to keep it in place. It was not meant for cervical fusions at all.

Pain is still the same as I had months prior to my surgery after my car accident in January '09. Not as bad as the month prior to surgery. However, right arm went numb for a half hour yesterday after doing some home PT with the Thermaband exercises.

• I had the same stimulator after my ACDF and yes, you have to sit and lean back on it for the 30 minutes.

I'm glad you had a good checkup, but I'm concerned about something. Did the surgeon ok you to do the band exercises? Being only two weeks post-op, it seems to me that it's a little soon to be taxing those muscles. But if your surgeon ok'd it, you might want to mention the numbness that was the result of the exercises.

Take care,
  • They indicated to start a few days after surgery. I am supposed to do them lying down on bed! At visit today I indicated doing the one where I have to stretch the band up over my head on the left caused more pain.

Doctor said I could slow down on doing those for now and start back up when I feel ready.

The other two stretching exercises did not cause much pain at the time. But, I do not know if it was the cumulative of them all which caused the pain.