Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Willykade247WWillykade247 Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all,

I glad to have found this place. Here is my story in a nutshell. I just hady first surgery. A fusion at L-4/5. I have multiple. Well three more herniations in the L spine. The L2/3 being the worst. Mod/Sev dessication/degeneration in these areas also. Also in the C spine. I have multiple levels of compression. No herniations, but ad I call them. Headaches from hell. Just pure evil.

Now saying all I have. I also want to say thanks. I have been here lurking since a few months before my surgery. I have found some very helpful information. I hope soon to be on a better situation to participate more, and hopefully be more helpful to those that need. Thank you all again.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. Since you've been lurking, I suspect that you know the wealth of information throughout the entire SH site and the value of the forums.

How are you recovering from your fusion? When was it done? I had an L4/5 TLIF in early January and am doing pretty well.

I think it's admirable that in your first post you're anxious to get to a point where you can help others. But in the meantime, we're here to help you if you need it so feel free to ask questions or vent if you need to. We'll still be here when you're in a better situation.

I look forward to hearing more about you and how you're doing.

Take care,
  • Thank you for the kind words. I don't really know what I would be able to offer. Except for maybe an ear to listen. Sometimes that is all I feel I have needed, and not have had available to me. I had my surgery on the 10th of march. I seem to be ok as far as recovery goes. A few what I consider minor setbacks. Also for what was done I know I left some info out, but I thought also that all who have been thru this know what that is. Mainly the hardware, screws, and some steel rods etc.

I have gained alot of info from this site. I think I have been lurking for about a year. I am not exactly sure how my original injury happened, but have some strong ideas. The pain has been ongoing for approximatlt four years. About ten years ago I had a motorcycle wreck. I got lucky enough to walk away from a hi speed crash. Also I am sorry if my typing isn't too great yet. I am still as said having a few minor issues.

I will ask one more question if I can. I will state some info afterwards, but this is the question. How likely is there more surgery in my future?
    I have three other herniations in the L-spine. The worst is the L2-3. The fusion done at L-4/5.

What I have learned is say a 50/50 chance. If I understand correctly. A fusion will weaken the areas around it. If I am wrong correct me please. Yet this is why I post the question about future surgery. Again thank you for your response. If there is a more appropriate place to post this. Please let me know. I typing this out on my Iphone as right now I just don't feel like getting out of bed to use the computer to much. Goodday alll.

• So, you're still really early in your recovery. Spine surgery is a very long road, I'm sure you know.

As for the possibility of surgery in the future, there are too many factors to know. When I talked with my surgeon for my three month checkup this last Tuesday, he said that generally, the degeneration of the levels above and below a fusion is about 3% a year. Frankly, I don't really believe that, but what I'm guessing is that if you have healthy discs above and below, this might be the case. Unfortunately, many of us have DDD which probably raises the percentage of degeration requiring surgery. I'm not a medical professional of any kind, so that's my opinion only.

But, from my experience, I had severe cervical problems in 2008, had a 3-lvl ACDF and four months later, my lumbar problems started and now I'm three months out from lumbar surgery. One didn't have to do with the other, however, so I'm one of those with two separate issues.

My doctor, surgeon and I all believe that my spine problems began with a very bad car accident I was in 30 years ago and with that accident, the discs started degenerating and collapsing at a slow rate until I started having symptoms in 2008. I truly believe that I'll have more spine surgery in my future, particularly on my C6/7 which still shows movement after 1-1/2 years after the fusion. I have pain in the back of my neck every day, but until I have radiating symptoms in my arms, if I ever do, I'm not going to address this problem. My surgeon knows this.

With all that being said, it's possible to heal bad discs and herniations with conservative measures so there may not be any more surgery for you. But only you and your surgeon will know with time.

What is so wonderful about the SH forums is that the people here understand what you're going through, where our loved ones and friends don't have a clue. As hard as they might try to understand, only a spiney can understand what another spiney goes through. I think it also helps to keep us from complaining and venting to our loved ones that get tired of hearing how much we hurt. We can say it here without someone telling us "enough." My hubby will always listen if I need to talk, but I don't want to burden him further. Additionally, my pain has become very personal to me and I keep it to myself.

I think you'll find you'll have more you can do here than lend an ear. We get many new members or even some that have been here a while, that are facing surgery for the first time. Those are the ones that need us the most, to understand what they might be facing, what they might need to get ready, what recovery might be like, etc.

Anyway, I ramble. Sorry about that. I wish you the best and feel free to PM me any time. I'm glad you finally joined - you'll find a lot of support and knowledge here.

• My surgeon and regular doc believe my problems all started with an injury as a teenager. I also started with cervical problems and then developed lumbar within a year, however I don't believe they were related except for an injury 30 years ago. I believe that further surgery can at least be delayed if you are careful and behave yourself(not my strong suit)

Many of us have major degenerative problems that will require further surgery down the line, however this is not true for everyone.

Make sure you listen to you surgeon and your odds will be better.

Welcome and don't be afraid to post, even if just to give encouragement once in awhile. I know I mostly just lurk and read but occasionally post if I think I can be of any help

• Gary,

It has been nice to meet you here, and Miss Cath. Thank you both for the wonderful words of encouragement. Thru all of this. The one thing that worries me most. Even with the prospect of possible future surgery. Is the c-spine issues.

BTW I do believe I forgot to mention that the Dr did allude to the fact I was liekly to need further surgery in the future. The L-2/3 is in bad shape, but as he said not quite bad enough to work on yet.
    Again thank you both, and to all whose posts I've read that have helped me in my search for answers. Goodday to all...

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you decided to drop in and stop lurking!! we want to get to know you.. :D i do hope you are feeling better soon. good luck! =D> Jenny :)