Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

severe back pain after surgery

Jamie97JJamie97 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I am 31yrs old, I was born with congenital kyposis, I had back surgery in 1999. I was much better after surgery until 2003 when injured back, since then I have gotten severly worse. I worked 2 years at an office job, and was unable to cope with severe pain. I am unable to sit for more than 20-30 min, I can't stand for long period due to dizziness. The pain in my back is in the middle where rods were put, and can't bend without severe pain n feel like its going to give out. I also have hip pain and severe pain in sacroliliac joint, been to orthopedic surgeon who sent me for bone scan w radiation. Results were non specific, also had a MRI and didnt show anything. Said surgery not an option, and if did surgery might come out worse than I am now. I can't take narcotic med due to stomach, colon problems. been to chiropractor didnt help, did hydro water therapy made it hurt worse did tens had stinging, and also, severe muscle spasms even on lowest setting. I don't know what else to do. I frequently cry due to severe pain,


  • Jamie if your tests arent showing a physical problem maybe it is nerve related. You might have a pinch that isn't showing because of the angle or you may have nerve damage.

    A neurologist is the one to treat this not an orthopedist who looks for a problem they can touch. Nerves are a very hard thing to deal with because it is not as easy as this = this.

    I would get a recommendation for a good neurologist and then start keeping a log of date, where you are, what you are doing and what you feel. The doctor needs more than general info to make a good guess at your problem.

    Let us know how you do.
  • Kris,NY
    Thank you for writing back, I went to neurologist seen Dr. for two minutes, didnt do physical exam, or referr for testing. Thinking of asking primary care dr to send for nerve study, cause bone scan showed increase radiation, from test were back pain is but result was non specific.
  • The key to good medical care is to never give up. There are good doctors and bad doctors and even the good doctors have bad days like the rest of us.

    Try another neurologist. A GP is not going to know enough to properly treat you. There are many drugs that can be tried that may offer relief. Neurontin is a nerve relaxant that can be used to calm the nerves. There are also muscle relaxants that can calm muscles that are spasming. You may not even know this is happening.

    Once you find a good neuro (not a surgeon) you need to find an excellent PT. They are the best as isolating problem areas since they spend so much time hands on.

    It is not easy to find good care. But don't be discouraged. It took me three surgeons to find the right one and that was due more to a recommendation from my ortho who I have know for years. Ask your doctor and his staff and ask your friends. But remember everyone has different taste so a doctor your friend loves you may hate.

    While we can't recommend doctors in posts where are you located? Maybe there is someone on here close to you who could make some suggestions.
  • Thank you for writing back, I have went to chiropractic hurt worse, had inj in neck and sacroliliac joint, also did hydro water therapy but hurt a great deal, said shouln't hurt in water, n after water did tens n even on lowest setting felt burning or ting and muscle spasms
  • I dont consider a chiro a real doctor. You have severe back problems and need a board certified ortho and/or neurologist. Anything else is a waste of time. And trying other treatments could cause further damage. Please be careful - you only get one body.
  • Kris, NY
    Thanks, I am definitly going to ask my primary Dr. I've definatly, have been scared cause keep tellimg me to do this try that, and I do them cause I don't want to make it look like I'm refusing treatmnt, got denied last march for ssd, and had to get a lawyer, so I've been doing what Dr. tells me. But I get scared cause they don't even knw the cause of my pain and afraid its going to get worse. Just covering symtoms isn't going to help nothing has so far, my range of motion in right side back, hip leg is 30%. Thanks.
Sign In or Register to comment.