Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks post op from my surgery

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
well this is the first day iv got to post, after my plif surgery. what a trip it has been to say the least. and to answer all the question never ever in a million years will would i go thru this again!!!!!!!!!!!!!. comeing out of sugery the pain was so intense, and i was blowing chunks for 2 days solid, had 4 iv holes 2 in each hand. was there 9 days. never could keep a bite of foods in either end. so ice water for 9 days. my room was cleaned a total of 2 times garbage, and floors moped. my bed changed 1 time in 9 days even tho i asked over and over. 2nd day after sugery i was put in a wheelchair, pushed up to the sink with a bag full of soapy washclothes and a towel, and told to wash up.
i couldnt move at all the pain was excruciateing so i sat there. well my legs are numb and burn like hell, cant lay in a bed to sleep, have pain so severe on both and feels like someone is pouring scalding hot water down them. i wake up screaming from the pain, so im in cased in my with pillows all around recliner cant get up unless someone is here oh and the potty chair beside my recliner, of which i fill with pedialite only since this is day 15 and still no food will stay in, my bowels began to hurt 5 days ago as if someone was digging them out with a dull knife. so called the dr. and went in for bloodwork and test, and ive got an intestinal virus called cee-death for short. now on anitbiotics for 2 weeks. ive lost 29 lbs from the no food.so weak cant get up or evn walk on walker. my skin is so sore its like haveing a3rd degree burn all over my body.
wow and i cant believe there are people who said they woud do this again in a heartbeat.was sent home with 7.5 hydros and vcalume for this pain which dont even touch the pain.
oh and my blood pressure reading is 48/86 hows that for feeling like im good, my primary sggested putting salt in a coke and drink it to get it up ha ha, what a doof.
so thats my story, hard to write thru the tears of pain and starvation.

• OMG what a nightmare of a hospital! I would be complaining! Im sorry you are having problems, BUT remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel, so I have been reading frm ppl who have had the surgery...try a bland diet, crackers, bananas, and believe it or not coke is soothing to the stomach...I have nausea probs and coke is the ONLY thing that takes it away, has to be room temp and flat so pop it in the microwave for a few seconds...

Hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • oh and call the doc and def get something stronger for your pain! If your anything like me I have been on some sort of narc for pain for 15 years and I have grown a tolerance so vic is not gonna do it for me...they better give me a morph drip for home...LOL!
  • Your story is the kind we never want to see. I am so sorry you are going through this. It sounds like a complete nightmare.

I gather you are out of the hospital? I remember the conversations about whether you could stay alone or if you should go to your son's. We just never know ahead of time how things are going to turn out.

I don't even know what to say. I will summon as much positive energy and thoughts as I can to send your way. Things have to get better from here on out.

I presume you are in contact with your surgeon on a regular, if not daily, basis.

Take good care,
  • Deebra, I'm so sorry to hear how horrible you are feeling and how terrible your hospital stay was. I cannot imagine having an intenstinal virus so soon after this type of surgery and feel for you. I hope you get some relief and feel better after a couple of doses of antibiotics.

I would also definitely call your doctor about your pain medication, if you haven't already.

Like you, I was unable to get comfortale in bed and have spent my recovery in my lovely recliner. It always was my favorite piece of furniture and now even more so.

Will think good thoughts for you and hoping you feel better soon.
  • My prayers are with you Deebra.
    I cannot believe they released you from the hospital. Of course, the hospital situation doesn't sound as if it was helping you.

I am not sure when you'll read this next but this is where your primary care physician needs to be your advocate. He needs to have you checked back into the hospital and hopefully one that he has access/afffiliation to. If that primary care doesn't help, then call an ambulance and tell them you need to go to the ER. Your vitals sound frightening to me.

Do you have a visiting nurse that stops by?

I'll keep you in my prayers. I have no idea where you are but I knew you were within an hour, I'd figure out how to help you even if it was to make some phone calls on your behalf.

Gentle hugs that things improve once your stomache bug clears up.
  • It just sickens me to hear of this kind of health care especially being a nurse. I just watched something on TV about the increase in hospital aquired infections and c-diff(the intestinal bug you have ) is one of the fasting growing hospital transfered infections,and it sounds like with the conditions of lack of cleanliness you probably got it there!! At least you are on the antibiotic now so hopefully you will be able to keep some nutrition in. Work on your hydration as much as you can with small frequent sips of anything, popcicles ,soda(sitting out for a while without too much fiz)gatorade etc, losing all those fluids will get you back in that hospital. I hope this will pass soon for you!! Lynette
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    So sorry you've had such a hard time with the post-op experience. It seems that no one was listening in the hospital when you were telling the doctors and nurses what you were experiencing. They should have been giving you stronger pain meds and all kinds of anti-nausea meds. Something is not right, I don't think your surgeon realizes the outcome so be sure to verbalize it to him and take some family member along with you to have a serious discussion with the doctor and/or his nurse.

I can tell you that when I had some low blood pressure problems I was told to eat saltines and drink coke and it did help.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I am sorry to hear you are doing so bad after surgery. I had my issues too while in the hospital and filed a formal complaint earlier in the week per my surgeons recommendation. I am also a nurse and it amazes me how people are treated sometimes. Do you know no one ever asked me if I wanted to brush my teeth the whole time I was in the hospital? On day 4 I asked my husband to help me do it. I also am having lingering nerve pains post op. It is only in my left leg. I am now almost 4 weeks out. I am improving everyday. I had trouble with nausea for 3 days after surgery. They tried 4 different IV medications and nothing seemed to work. It was exhausting.

You are in my thoughts and prayers,
  • I was in a sim sitation altho I balled up and told them that iam going for a shower on the third day, i told them that i would bring my own damn sheets from home if they didnt change mine, and i also got outta bed on my own on several occasions to get and do whatever i needed and wanted...it sucked but it's done..i feal for you but you should now concentrate on healing..best of luck
  • Deebra...I was thinking about you and just wish there was something I could do. Would your surgeon prescribe a 'rehab' facility for you?

I know hip replacement surgery will generally release their patients to a rehab facility. It's like a hospital b/c there is medical staff there but it's an interim place that you could get cared for until you are stable. Can you call your insurance to see if that's an option.

I'm praying for you. Just remember, if you can't take it....call the ambulance and have them take you to the hospital. You have way too much to worry about....so if you cannot control the pain or you can't keep food in you, please don't hesitate to get to the hospital.

I hope to hear soon that you have turned the corner and are feeling progress.

Gentle hugs!
  • Wow! You have had a really rough start to your recovery!!
    How are you feeling now?
    I really hope that the antibiotics have got the stomach bug under control and that your pain levels have also now got under control.

This is a tough surgery to recover from, but it sounds like your recovery has been much tougher than most.

I really hope that things have greatly improved and that you are feeling more hopeful of a good resolution of your problems now.
    We are here Deebra, so vent away your emotions and let us support you.

Keep resting
  • Hey Deebra, it sounds like you really have your hands full. I hate that the hospital staff was so lousy..that really sounds like a 3rd world standard of care!

Are you anywhere close to Memphis? I'm about 4 months out from my fusion; I can get around and I'll help you out if I can and you're in the mid-south. I don't want to hear that you're stuck so ill and by yourself. I ain't kidding. If you're reasonably close (I think I can tell you're in the South), and you need something I can do, I'll do it.

Aloha, and better luck
  • I CAN'T BELEIVE WHAT YOU WROTE! WHERE IS THIS HOSPITAL? Could they really treat you so poorly. Where the heck were your doctors while this was going on? There should have been someone to complain to. Was anyone from your family with you? When I had a problem several months ago with antibiotics, thank g-d my husband was there to talk to the dr. and get some texts done to find out what was wrong. I suffered with intestinal problems for 2 months afterwards because it turned out that I was alergic to the antibiotic.

I'm going for PLIF on the 7th and I'm so scared, I feel like cancelling. The problem is that I have no options if I don't do this. Can't sleep, can't think clearly and the pain is so much worse I'm just nopt functioning anymore.

What precautions can take I do to make sure that this doesn't happen to me?

Hope all is better now for you and this passes quickly. Take care, I'm praying for you.... Marsha