Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone with similar symptoms,...

buckeyebackbbuckeyeback Posts: 384
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I hope someone has similar issues and can tell me what their docors think it is.

I had a Micro-d Feb 09 and then another in Sept 09, but it was with a laser and scope approach. I have had intermittent burning on the top of RT foot since the second surgery and have been getting that "numby" feeling at the soles of my feet. Intermittent tingling/numby feelings in the toes of both feet. When sitting for very long, blood pools in my feet (you know like when you press on your skin it turns white for a second, but looks like it's a little sunburn otherwise) Here's the kicker, not much in the way of back pain. Some mild hip pain though. My symptoms are relieved for the most part when laying down and reappear when standin/walking/sitting.

I believe that the disc at L 4/5 just can't keep it's rigidity and consequently my nerves are being compressed.

My latest MRI states foraminal narrowing at that level, but they used the word "mild." No mention of scar tissue.

Flexion/extension xray (laying on my side on the table) was reported as "normal."

Steroid pack calmed things down some until I got off of it.

Dr. wants to do a triple phase bone scan to see if I have CRPS/RSD. And he is sending me to a neurologist.

I believe there is still some compression going on from that disc level and that is what is causing my symptoms especially since weight bearing makes them much worse and steroids take the inflammation out of the area. Does that make sense?

If it was RSD, wouldn't it be constant without regard to weight bearing?

Thanks for your opinions.

• Hi,

I'm not familiar with the achronyms you are using (forgive me). I guess it means I probably can't offer advice but can you give me insight on what CRPS/RSD stands for? I searched the internet and I think it may be Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy but let me knwo if that's right or not.

You mention you had 2 microdiscectomies. Were they on the same level or different levels? Just curious.

Is the numbness new? It seems like you have a plan of action which is always encouraging and clearly your doctor is taking you seriously.

It sounds like your doctor wants to rule it out. I don't know much about it but I wonder if rulling out the disorder you mention is easier than confirming whether or not have nerve damage.

If he sends you to a neurologist they will do tests to see they can identify the source of the nerve pain that the MRI isn't showing.

Again, I am just speculating, not a doctor.
    Your intermittent burning pain seems to be like my nerve pain (though my numbness is constant, the pain is worse if I sit too long).

Hopefully others will comment. Glad you are working to get an 'answer'.

• If you doctor noticed the "mild sunburn" effect on your feet, I imagine that is why he might suspect RSD. But I agree with you -- I would think that it would be more constant and not just when standing or walking.

Have you had these symptoms since surgery or have they come on recently?
  • DNice, Yes RSD is Reflex Sympathy Dystrophy and CRPS stands for Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. They are same thing. Basically a malfunctioning set of nerves, as I understand it. I would assume that they would malfunction ALL the time and not get much worse while standing or sitting. Hopefully this Neurologist has some intuition also. I'm getting a bit tired of doctors and feeling frustrated like everyone else who goes down this road. I hope I don't become a hostile patient at some point... Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Hey Gwen, the "numby" feelings and blood pooling symptoms have come on slowly in the last couple months. I forgot to add cramping feet and twitching toes to my list of symptoms. The twitching hints of motor nerve involvement. I think it is just more compression. I really don't waant a fusion due to fear of adjacent disc disease, but I may have to have it. If I have a choice, I think I would rather have an ADR by an experienced ADR surgeon. Thanks for asking. :)

• Same level. The second was a laser surgery (Accurascope) to remove scar tissue that was encasing my nerve root. That numby feeling has slowly come on in the last couple of months.