Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update-Two weeks post-op

NaptownGirlNNaptownGirl Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone! I had an ALIF on the 10th and was supposed to have posterior fusion on the 12th, but it was postponed due to a blood clot. Apparently the surgeon noticed my foot was blue as they were about to sew me up. I had a blood clot in the iliac artery and was patched up with cow vein and put on a blood thinner. After surgery I was put in ICU for three days, then moved to the Ortho Unit for another two days before being discharged. I was feeling pretty good, all things considered, and was up and walking on my own before I left the hospital.

Unfortunately I was only home two days and ended up in the ER. A horrible, throbbing, unceasing pain in the left side of my belly woke me up out of a good sleep. Long story short, a hematoma was causing my pain. Some bleeding naturally occurs in most people after surgery, but because I was on the blood thinner I had a little more than usual. My kidney was swollen and the fluid was pushing on my ureter. I was admitted to the hospital for another five days. The docs scanned, x-rayed, dyed and probed me thoroughly. We will just let the fluid resolve itself over the next three months by utilizing blood thinners. The blood thinners are also a precaution to keep the fluid from pressing on a vein and causing a blood clot.

It all sounds horrible, but other than the temp. pain the first night back in the ER, I am blessed that I am OK. I am not using the pain meds much at night. I'm sitting up on the couch, in the car and walking for a few minutes at a time now. I am looking forward to what the next few weeks have in store for me and feeling even better.



  • Oh my what an unexpected twist but thank goodness your doctor was doing his job and keeping an eye out.

    It sounds like you are in good spirits and maybe best to let you recover some from the first surgery before having the 2nd. I know it doubles the recover in a way but maybe it's for the best so you can let your stomach muscles begin to heal before the 2nd surgery.

    Keep feeling better. Glad you are ok now.
  • Good to hear from you, and you've certainly been through a lot with the blood clots. Take it easy and move about as much as your body will allow. Hope the rest of your recovery will be uncomplicated and that you'll be feeling better and better as the weeks go by.


    XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I had been wondering how you were doing.
    Sounds like you had a complicated start to your recovery!
    Despite that, you sound in a very positive frame of mind.
    I hope that now, you will get onto a smoother road to recovery, and will keep moving forward in your healing.
    Do you have a new date for your PLIF yet?
    Take it easy as you recover. This is a slow process.
    Welcome back to your Spiney friends
  • Nap-it sounds like you are in good spirits-that helps so much with recovery!Take it one day at a time---and don't overdo!!!Jeannie
  • Good to hear you're home and Sorry to hear all what you've been through with your recovery. Hope from now on you'll continue to heal with no other complications. It just seems so difficult the first couple of weeks out from surgery and how there can be complex issues becoming part of the recovery process but you're sounding positive now and hope everything goes well with part 2 of your surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hiya Nap,

    I was wondering how you did with your surgery. I hate to hear about the blood clots. Those are really scary. But I am glad you were able to get the care you needed. I hope your recovery between surgeries goes well. And the 2nd surgery is easier.

    Best Wishes,
  • I am just being thankful everything turned out okay as well.
  • :D Thank you to all my Spiney friends for all the well wishes and positive thoughts!!

    I may have overdone it in the last couple of days, but I still feel pretty good. It is hard to stay positive today since it is 80 degrees in Indianapolis, and all the free Final Four activities are taking place less than 8 miles away! LOL. I'll be good and stay home with my feet up though.
Sign In or Register to comment.