Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

has anyone experienced this?

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had ADR and ALIF on May 11, 2009. I have been taking Vicodin 3 to 4 times a day ever since. I have recently been weening off the pills(2nd atempt) and am down to 1 a day. Im noticing pain and stiffness not only where the surgery was performed but up my whole spine. Now its not overwhelming pain and lets just say I dont have the greatest posture.I had my husband run his fingers down each of the vertebrae and some spots are more tender than others nad some days are worse than others. I did not have this before the surgery. Has anyone experienced this?

• you have had a big operation and it was not done that long ago
    you are bound to have sensitive areas in your spine .i would say that you need to rest and it will take at least a year for you to start to feel better.but as always if you are feeling unsure or unwell go and see your Doctor
    good luck
    PS it took me 3 years to recover {as well as i could} from my last operation
  • One thing that caught my eye was when your wrote that your posture isn't always the best....everything in your body is so inter-related and it all begins with your skeletal system. When you hurt, Your brain tells your muscles to "guard' that area. Your muscles around the painful area will tighten up and stay that way. I'm not sure if you exercise but imagine holding a push up or a plank for minutes, hours,days...that's what your body is doing.

When this happens, it not just the "guarding" muscles. They pull all they other muscles off balance, therefor,now your entire muscular-skeletal system is off. This begins a whole pain cycle that is in addition to healing from your surgery (soft tissue, nerves etc).

Maybe take some time to stand in front of a full length mirror with minimal clothing. Take a look at your shoulders, are they even? is one slightly higher than the other? If you have a spouce can they look are the lines behind your knees? are they equal? When you lay down, are the bottom of your feet equal? If not, stand in front of the mirror and slightly shift your weight until your shoulders are aleigned.

Do you feel well enough to begin some simple yoga or pilates? Are you taking a muscle relaxer for spasms?

I hope this is helpful for you and I hope you are feeling better! Hang in there and take care! Shari
  • Yes, I have pain and cramping in the area above my fusion when I have to sit still for longer periods.

In the hospital I was given simple flexibility exercises as well as some to strengthen the core muscles. I do lots of walking every day and have started a strengthening exercise program with the physio. To help my upper back, I do exercises with very light hand weights and have started including a few Pilates exercises.

Hope you'll be feeling better soon.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008