Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new and very worried

deshawn jacksonddeshawn jackson Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in New Member Introductions
im deshawn jackson and im new to this forum unfortunately however i am no stranger to back pain. i just typed up a long description of what im feeling in my back, i will post it in this thread. posting it here because im new here and its not necessarily pain all the time but mostly extremely uncomfortable.

• Background: For several months I have been exercising regularly without incident. Around January of ’10 I felt like my back was getting stressed out more than I was comfortable with so I cut out exercise til it felt better, but it hasn’t. I had a job that required me to sit for 8 hours a day, but lost it, and have spent the last months at home sitting all or most of the day. Around the same time I stopped exercising I felt like my seated posture was poor so I started trying to correct it. I feel like I lean to the right, my abdomen looks underdeveloped on the right side compared to my left side. I have also had spinal fusion surgery in the lower/middle of my back, not sure of which vertebrae specifically with hardware still installed. This surgery happened around 2005, and I haven’t felt anything spine related since, until recently.

Current: weeks ago I went to the emergency room because I felt a “pop” in my upper back, not where my surgery was. This pop was accompanied by burning pain, pressure in my chest like something was pushing against the inside of my sternum. There was also a creepy feeling in my neck like cold liquid was flowing up my neck into the base of my skull. Since this pop I have been very conscious of how my back has felt. After sitting for long periods it feels uncomfortable, not painful necessarily but uncomfortable to the point that I am very worried about the condition of my back. I can recount one time after sitting for a bit there was a spot in the middle of my back that had a sharp pain when I applied pressure to it but went away after walking around a bit. Standing seems to relieve the feeling. Laying down has mixed results, sometimes it feels like there is alot of pressure where my surgery was, almost like im hyper extending my back but im laying flat and sometimes it feels better. Its hard to describe the feeling I have in my back daily, ive done my best to accurately recount the feeling I get. I am very concerned that it will get worse and prevent me from living an active lifestyle.
  • Sorry you're having back problems again. What did the MRI say? Hopefully you'll get to see your Surgeon soon to see what's going on. Take it easy. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Welcome to Spine Health. Since you aren't working, are you still covered so you can get to the doc to see what is going on? When you went to the Emergency Room, what did they do for you or find? Were any x-rays or an MRI done to try and identify the source of the pop?

I understand the desire to want to remain living an active lifestyle. With your previous surgery and you current concerns, I would definitely see what the doc has to say before doing anything too crazy.

• Welcome to Spine-Health and sorry that you're experiencing more back problems. There's lots of us here who are willing to give you support.

Would encourage you to make an appointment with your neurosurgeon, if you haven't already. Did the ER do any scans?

Take it easy for now and do check in again soon and let us know how things are.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • thanks for the warm welcome everyone. the ER doctor was pretty livid about having to treat someone at 2am, and treated me as if i were some sort of drug addict looking for a fix. why is it that everytime i go to a hospital i leave feeling like i made a mistake going? anyway they did an xray which came up with nothing. figures.

yesterday i was feeling better until later in the day when i was rubbing a painful spot on my back it seemed to get worse. feels like a really bad bruise, and hurts when i lean forward. this is seriously turning into a nightmare. ive made an appointment with a chiropractor, i feel pretty skeptical about chiropractic care, but my fingers are crossed that this guy can bend me better. i have this foreboding feeling that hes going to tell me to see a real doctor to get surgery again, which would be absolutely devastating considering i am without health insurance, and its starting to look like its going to be hard on my body to get it.

thanks again everyone
  • I would see your Primary Dr. first and get an MRI. You could ask the Chiropractor for him to order the MRI of your back but I would wait to get the results before any chiropractic treatment. My Chiropractor wouldn't touch me with a herniated disc other than order TENs and massage therapy for me. Not saying that you have the same issue I had but best to get seen by a your Primary first and an assessment. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN