Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

backpainsarabbackpainsara Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Recovering from Surgery
anyone have any suggestions on what to do with weaaring pants with a back seam, such as jeans. Everytime I wear a pair i seem to have pain at my scar area, especailly near my tailbone. i am returning to work in a few weeks, dress code is casual, but all i seem to comfortable wearing is sweatpants, or those wind suits. thanks in advance.

• I would suggest trying a pair of good quality knit pants that pull on (without a front zipper). They make some that look like regular dress trousers and with a blazer or jacket or pull-over top, you can't tell they have an elastic waist. Otherwise, novel thought, how about a skirt? or casual dress? Then you wouldn't have any seam at all.

I had fusion two years ago and I still can't stand to wear jeans. Every time I try, I make it from the bedroom down to the first floor and am already wanting to take them off.

Good luck with your return to work.

• I've been wondering about clothes and shoes, for work, myself the past few days. I always was a fan of stretchy pants, the kind that look like work pants but am having a hard time getting mine to fit over my brace. Guess I am going to have to make a shopping trip this weekend if I get release to go back to work at my follow-up on Thursday.

I tried my elastic waist skirts and they seem to get caught up in the velcro on my brace. Don't want to be flashing everyone at the office or on the downtown streets.

I really wish I could just wear my sweats or pajama bottoms to work. Think I could get the doctor to write that up as a work restriction? Wouldn't that be great!
  • That wearing some nice khakis or women's cargo pants work great. You can shop around and find some that can be dressed up or down and have stretch and non stretch versions.

• lol gretchen. I've been trying to shove a towel down the backk of the jeans, but it seems to add more pressure. How long will you be wearing your brace, mine will be on for 3 months when i return to work, i was hoping I wouldn't have to wear the brace to work.
  • stuff i can ware is baggy shorts {cut down sweat pants] not very trendy ! its been like this since my last operation .i would like to put me nice clothing on but as i have nerve damage i cant stand anything on my leg ..so i wear shorts all YEAR and i carn ware shoes ..so i have to wear crocs ..as my feet hurt ...what a sight i look !! i hope that you manage to get in to some nice stuff soon
  • I've only had the brace since my 4 week follow-up. I wasn't given a brace at discharge from hospital. My xrays showed the top 2 screws had moved a tiny bit, hence the brace, and the past 4 weeks of staying on restriction. I wasn't given a specific time frame for wearing it and will find out this Thursday about that. I kinda like wearing it since it reminds me not to do the BLT's and think I probably would wear it to work, at least for awhile. Am still having the same pain I was at last appointment so I'm not sure if they will release me for work. Depends on if screws have stayed put and more bone has grown. I couldn't tell from looking at my xrays since I don't have a light box.

Luckily the weather is getting warmer and I do have some longer linen skirts with elastic waists. I may just have to jump into full summer clothing earlier then the weather. I guess that's better then me just rolling out of bed and going in in my pajama's, which is what I'd really love to do. I'm also trying to figure out how I can get my boss to let me bring my recliner in since I still am unable to sit for longer then 15 minutes at a time. Hmmm... maybe I could get one of those massaging recliners out of him. Will have to see how bad they've missed me at work!
  • I have great yoga pants and black pants with lycra in them are comfortable instead of jeans. They look dressy yet comfortable. I haven't had surgery so don't know if these will help but the waist is so much softer than jeans. Take care and good luck with your getting back to work. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Sara,
    Dresses, Dresses, and more Dresses! I had my fusion of the L4-S1 3 years ago this month, and since I have been unable to wear anything that presses on my incision site. About once to twice a year I try a pair of pants, and so far no go. I've even tried a pair of farmer bibs, and that didn't work. Yesterday I tried again with capri's 2 sizes to big. I lasted 2 hours. It sucks not to be able to wear pants. I wonder a lot about what men do with this problem? They don't for the most part wear dresses. Thing that make you go, Hmmmmm?

I was also wondering about dress shoes. I always wear slip ons with no heel. Something I don't have to bend over to tie or zip. I usually wear crocs year round. Good thing I don't have a lot of feeling in my feet, or they'd get cold. lol! Sorry, but sometimes you have to laugh at yourself. It's better then crying! So what kind of shoes do you all wear that has good support, little to no heel, and looks good with a dress?

Bobbi Jo
  • I don't own a dress and don't know the last time I even wore one. I may need to look into them.

I've been wearing the crocs with the fuzzy material in them. They really do look like slippers though, that's why I ordered the plain, black, clog style ones. Well, and so I'd have a package delivery to look forward to!