Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in New Member Introductions
New to the forum.

Have several discs all messed up in my back.

Currently working as a light/heavy duty truck mechanic.

I work in SW Ontario.

Currently taking percocet and on a 50mcg/h Fentanyl patch. Had cortisone epidural injection done today.

Still in unbelievable, blinding pain.

Getting to the point where I am going to have to live with it until the end of time.

• Was nice having you in chat the other day. Hope the cortisone injection helps you.

Best wishes,

• I hope the cortisone injections help a little. Ice them afterwards. It's finally 2 years and a 3rd PM Dr. and my 6th epidural and facet joint injections I had 3 weeks ago is helping somewhat. Take care fellow Ontarion. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Again Welcome to the Site!!! Enjoyed meeting you and chatting with you last night. I hope that the shots are of help from your constant pain. Please drop into chat again. You are good people, again Welcome aboard!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hello all. I'm new to all this. My name is Breanna, I'm 26 years old, married 7 yrs, mother of 3 ages 3, 5, & 7. My problems with my spine are pretty recent. It started Aug 30th, 2009. I woke up real light headed and nauseous, with pain in my upper left chest. Went to work, got sent home, went to the ER twice, family doc, neurologist, orthopedic, and finally to pain management. They started out believing it was Costocondritis, then changed to post herpetic neuropathy (without ever having Shingles), then to intercostal neuropathy, and finally, after seeing an orthopedic, got a correct diagnosis. I have 3 bulging discs, T6-T7, T7-T8, & T8-T9, that are degenerating and have strained my facet joints to the point that it has caused thoracic/intercostal neuralgia that runs from the middle of the left side of my back, completely around my left rib cage. I am feeling every touch as pain, have not even been able to wear my bra since this started. It is a constant pain, very severe, with throbbing, stabbing, sharp, and burning pain. I am in pain management being treated with Methadone and Lyrica at this point. I have had one set of facet injections, which led to test injections last month for radioablation that I am to have done tomorrow. The doctor said that if my problem had have been any higher up or any lower down, this procedure would last 5-7 years, if not longer, but that where mine is located in the middle of my spine, it will have to be repeated every 9-12 months. I have been off work since the end of Aug last year, with no idea of when or IF I will be able to return. I was very healthy before waking up like this on Aug 30th. I was in a car wreck in 98, which the docs think might have caused the initial problem, and over the years it has progressed. I would love to hear from others that are going through this or a similar problem. I've very confused and depressed with all this. My husband works out of state, so I am having to suffer alone while taking care of the house and our children. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You for your time!
  • dear Breena, hi and welcome to the forum! you have come to a great place to make new friends for support and to get any questions answered you might have.. i am sorry you are in so much pain. i do not have your problem but one of my problems is such that i find it hard to wear a bra as well. i understand your around area there is very tender making it difficult. the bra just pulls on my back so much that it causes me to bend over after a couple of hours wear.. you have quite alot to handle by yourself with the house and the children. having pain and dealing with all of that is an awful burden without your husband there to help. i wish that was different for you. i think you could use help.. i mean a few hours a day even a couple of days a week, so you could rest and recharge yourself from the pain.. it must just bear down on you.. perhaps friends or relatives or high school girls at an inexpensive rate.. i wish you the best of luck. know i am here to chat anytime..get your rest when you can..good luck tomorrow with your procedure!!! i will be thinking of you. please let us know how it goes for you!! don't worry tonight, just rest!! Jenny
  • Thanks Jenny! It's nice to be able to talk to people that know what's going on, because I surely don't right now. This was just kind of dumped in my lap. I've had problems out of my back on and off for years, but that usually cleared up some with physical therapy and tens units, nothing like this. This was a real shock to learn that #1:There is no cure for this condition, only pain management, and #2: I will have to be under the care of a pain clinic for the rest of my life. I'm real worried that after they find out how much, if any, pain relief this procedure gives, they are going to tell me that I won't be able to return to work and they'll want me to file disability. I'm too young to have to sit at home the rest of my life "drawing a check." And as for help, I really don't have any. My father lives an hour away and is on disability himself for diabetic neuropathy, my mother works 50+ hrs per week and has a disabled husband at home, and my 2 sisters that live in this state both work and have their plates full as it is. I really am pretty much on my own. My younger sister is going to come and sit with me for the next few days after this procedure, but after that, it will be back to the way it is now. And with my husband gone working in FL, my pain has gotten to the point where the meds aren't helping, and all that does is make me more depressed. I don't want any more narcotics than what I'm already on, but at the same time, I don't know how much longer I can stand the pain with everything I have to take care of. This whole situation has me so scared and upset. I don't understand how something this serious could happen to me pretty much overnight. I'm so confused??????
  • Welcome to our forum. Unfortunately I can't help you because I haven't had bulging discs in the thoracic area. I do have mild costochondritis caused by scoliosis in the mid back.

It's such a shame that you're on your own most of the time and your family is so far away.

I hope the radioablation helps your pain. Do keep in touch and if we can give you support or just a hug, we will.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Well I'm not sure you will have to live with ur pain for ever or at least I hope you don't. Was nice having u in chat yesterday hope to see u in there again.
  • Breanna, hi!! :H i am sorry to read there is not much chance for any help, that does make things alot more difficult for you! having SH nearby will be a welcome relief. you can pretty much count on someone being around 24 hours a day either online or in chat. :D good luck to you! Jenny :)