Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

blazerblazer Posts: 785
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi to everyone hopefully someone can help with answer. i have 22 staples which are scheduled to be removed 3/31 well will it be safe to start a walking routine before then or wait and talk to my doctor and if so how far should i walk and how many times a day. hopefully my questions arent stupid and maybe they will help someone else out who is in the same situation as me and a lot of other folks. i bought a cane to lean on for when i get tired, dont want to use walker if i dont have to want to build muscle strenght back up.

• Blazer it is great that you want to walk. What did you have done and when was surgery. In most cases you can walk as long as it feels good. Listen to your body is the most important thing. Start slow and build.
  • surgery was 3/19 had a 2 level fusion l4l5/l5s1 with 2 rods and 6 screws. 54 y/o male truckdriver by trade. with 3 great kids that are exrtemely helpful.
  • I had my staples out today.

I have been walkng since I got home. On a nice day, I walk outside which feels great. I don't go far yet. About 5 mins in total but I've been told to build it up slowly. I try to get up each hour and walk around the house a few times ( during the day)

I've heard that lots ofshort walks Re better than one long one.

Hope that you are recovering well
  • I'm surprised your surgeon didn't tell you to begin walking right away. Walking is the best exercise after surgery. It gets freshly oxygenated blood flowing to the surgical area, and, more importantly, it stretches out the spinal nerves. It is important that the nerves are stretched as it helps to prevent scar tissue from attaching to the nerves.

Even if you have to use a walker, it is important to get up and walk several times each day. At the beginning I timed my walk to my trips to the bathroom.
    Distance is not important. It is better to take a number of short walks every day than worrying about how far or how fast you are going.

When you aren't going for your little walks, it is best to recline. Sitting should be limited to about fifteen minutes at a time, being sure to use good posture. Sitting actually puts 30% more pressure on the discs than standing or walking, so it is best to limit the time. Even once you are healed, you should still get up every hour and stretch or take a little walk.

But you are very early in recovery. For now, walk and rest and learn to listen to your body. Try to find that sweet spot between doing just enough to challenge yourself but not so much that you overdo and cause a flare.

Good luck.