Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

All of a sudden.. it hit the fan..

scmgurusscmguru Posts: 103
Almost 8 weeks out of surgery and all of a sudden yesterday, things got a whole lot worse, for no apparent reason.

As many of you know, I've been fighting leg radiculopathy now since my surgery.. Over all, things haven't been great, my left leg is a mess, but my right leg was quiet at least..

Was sitting in a car, felt like an Ice-Pick was shoved into my right gleut and all of a sudden my leg lit up like a Xmas tree.

Nothing would help it.. it was burning and I felt the hot and cold water feeling on my foot and the paresthesia up my leg...

Went to my 1st off site PT session today.. pool exercises, followed by a hot pad and TENS machine..

Felt ok in the pool.. once I was out, it got worse as the day went on.

PT wanted me to lay on my stomach and prop myself up on my elbows.. REALLY bad idea..

She said it may hurt but do it for 3-5 min a day..

I tried it this afternoon and my leg and lower back went nuts.

I don't remember either of them burning like this in a long time..

Called my surgeon's office.. he said if it still feels bad after another week, he'll make an appt for an MRI.

• SCMGuru...gosh, it sounds like you were doing so good but have hit this 'wall'.

I am just starting PT tomorrow but I know what exercise you are explaining. You are about 1-2 weeks further out on recovery than me. I would contact the surgeon and ask about that exercise. I used to use that one before I blew my disc and it helped. I would lean up on elbows and then exhale letting my lower back/stomach sink to the floor. It used to feel great and worked to relief sciatic nerve issues. Just before I blew out my disc (5 days) I was having sciatic issues and this actually hurt more. So I would check with your surgeon to see if this is safe. The PT person should know but your doctor will know if the 'pain' is good or bad pain.

I would tell the PT person that you are concerned with that exercise and ask why they want you to do it or if there is a modified version. I believe there is that you can against a wall that offer similar relief/stretching but with a little less pressure. I'd have to go look it up but PT should be able to tell you.

I hope all is ok.

• Saw a the physiatrist associated w/ the PT facility this week.. he's really concerned about my poor range of motion and pain.

He ordered an MRI to see what's going on..

As soon as I get the results, I'll post back.
  • Please let me know how you are doing.

Glad you are getting the MRI!
  • Not so hot.. pain is still there.. I posted my post op MRI here..

Waiting for the radiologist report.. but it looks like I either re-herniated or they missed something..

Hopefully I'm reading it wrong..

Hope all is well with you :)
  • I can't see the images in that post (though read it). When is your follow up appointment? Or is the doctor going to call you?

Remember, there might be scar tissue that looks like disc. But if they missed something or you re-herniated, don't get discouraged. It's a statistical possibility, especially in the 1st 3-months.

I'm doing ok.
    Still a slow recovery but compared to last time, better (of course I'm wiser now so have taken all the learnings into this go around).