Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 year Post ALIF Surgery Pain

RickCRRickC Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi All,

I had the ALIF procedure last March 2009. The surgery went fine, and I was off wrkd for about 7 weeks (desk job). The surgery helped to relieve my "drop foot" and leg numbness symtoms and I'm a walking machine now. That's all good!

I was wondering if anyone still has post surgery pain after 1 year? This pain is located at my lower back where the surgery site is. This is not constant oain, but occurs after I sit for a length of time. The pain is not sharp, rather a tight/sore feeling.

My surgeon commented that low back pain at this point is likely related to generalized degenerative changes commensurate with aging and altered mechanicnal demands to my back. He recommended I start with an anti-inflammatory such as Motrin or Naprosyn for this condition. And if intractable, I may require a minor analgesic, as needed.

Does this make sense to others?

Any related comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Often times the disk above cant take the added pressure. And may become degenerative to the point it's impinging on nerves. Which was the case with me 2 times. Ask for an MRI to make sure you haven't knocked the next disc up out
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • If like me you should have some pain stay on your antiinflamitorys keep active dont over do it but keep your chin up

• j.howie said:
    Often times the disk above cant take the added pressure. And may become degenerative to the point it's impinging on nerves. Which was the case with me 2 times. Ask for an MRI to make sure you haven't knocked the next disc up out
    Good luck, Jim
    Thanks for your input. My surgeon said something like what you described may happen, although in the years to come, not only one.
  • wasacarpenterjohn said:
    If like me you should have some pain stay on your antiinflamitorys keep active dont over do it but keep your chin up

Thanks for your comment. I will take the anti-inflamatory medication. I guess I need to watch out for over-doing it. Yesterday, I know I did more spring yard work than I should. My back is really sore today. On other days it's just "kinda" sore.

I've over-done a few things since surgery and really have to remind to pace myself. That's hard because before surgery, I did as much activity as possible.

New body parts, new life styles. Old dog needs to learn new tricks.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.