Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Pain Center

ryan23rryan23 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Chronic Pain
hello i was wondering if anyone out there has been to this clinic or heard any good or bad things about this place. i have spinal stenosis, 3 degenerative discs, and a year and a half ago I got an epidural and ever since then have had severe sciatica pain. I am only 28 and have been dealing with chronic pain for 10 years. Surgery is not an option for me, and my parents are making me go to an inpatient center for varioius reason so I need some INPUT GUYS!!! im having trouble finding info on the web. i would like to find a place that trys to tie both eastern and western together if that make sense. thanks for the help!! ryan

Using institutions name is not permitted on spine-health edited per Tamtam.

• opps sorry... can somone pm me with any help on this subject. thanks ryan
  • Hello Ryan,
    At best a pain clinic will help you deal with what you have and attempt to find some balance of perception, changing and adapting what is possible and learning to live with what is not.

How do you feel about not being a surgical candidate, when you say making you go, what expectation do you have that they can help you cope more effectively, what do you want to do. I like that option for openness in finding a solution as this is the foundation to all potential improvement.

Epidurals predominantly only mask the symptoms and not the underlying origin of the pain, the success of any institution is about inter relationship and finding what works for you alone. Much evidence is written on the methods of improvement and you would need to determine if this process may prove beneficial for you.

Take care and good luck.

• thanks john for the comments! let me try and answer some of your questions. first off.... my parents are making me go to an inpatient center for a couple of different reasons; for the past 3 years i have been smoking medical marijuana instead of taking meds( pills make me feel sick and arent good for the body!! and yes marijuana really helps take the mind off pain, reduce anxiety, improves moods, and helps me sleep so it has done wonders for me!!). my parents just recently found out about my smoking and are having marjor problems with it...... im also unable to work a normal 8 hour a day job due to pain, and they don't believe me. (and yes ive been to doctors around here , one writing a note saying i was physically unable to work, guess they dont want to see the truth) so basically im in a family crisis and they say this is the only way to solve it so thats why im going to a clinic ...... i would love to stay around home and do yoga ,core strengthening, accupuncture, chiro, and massage therapy as i find those to give me great relief but thats not an option right now. so i have to do this no matter what and was just wondering if anyone out there has been to a good one or has any suggestions of good places . thanks and sorry for the poor grammar half my keys are broken on my keyboard haha
  • i found most of the pain clinic's useless and the staff obnoxious .but there was one clinician who was very sympathetic ans eh treated me with respect and tried her best to help me ..so my advice shop around
  • Hi Ryan,

At 28 no one could make me do a thing I didn't want to do. Are you still living with your parents? Not that I am judging. It's not a good move for anyone to make you do something. That's not likely to result in a positive outcome. It seems you already know what works best for helping you control your pain. Maybe a better alternative to a written note, would be to have your parents or 1 parent accompany you to a Dr's appointment and have the Dr explain your situation.

I am just not hopeful with someone forcing an adult to go to an inpatient program. Unless you plan to go with an open mind. Here in the states there is little eastern philosophy used. I am all for new technology but as you can see in my signature, I am a child of western medicine. I wish many times I had gone a different route to start with.

Best of luck with your treatment,
  • if you are over 18 and your parents can't make you do anything. if you mean east and west medicine, why would you want eastern medicine? i think it along with chiropatric medicine is bogus. western medicine is based on science and research. i guess you can eat some bark off of a tree and it would help somewhat but people in the orient don't live as long as westerners. a guy i worked with had the flu and almost died when he went to an eastern doc. he went to his regular and he lived. look up pain clinic on the web site or ask a doctor. a lot of people have mild stenosis and degenerative discs. how were these diagnosed? did you have mri's or x-rays or nerve tests or discotectomy? these are things that are used to diagnose back problems. you did not mention any test you had. what caused these problems? car wrecks or constant stress from use like running or football cause these. how did you get them and how do you know you have sciatic pain? a doctor has to do a physical to diagnose these problems. you can't say i have sciatic pain without a doctor examining you. before you can get help from this site, you have to tell people and answer these questions. these problems just don't appear out of the blue and no doctor will help you without tests. please let us know what is going on without these general statements
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Eastern medicine is far from bogus (much of it is supported with clinical research).

FYI, aspirin is from the bark of a tree.
    Traditional Chinese Medicine doctors (what many call "eastern medicine") use very strong medicinal plants and other substances. It's neither smoke and mirrors medicine nor something you should try at home. If you want to go to a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) doctor, find an educated and qualified doctor and go. Buying the herbs at the herb store and self-treating isn't TCM, any more than trying to crack your back by leaning over a fence is Chiropractic.
  • Ryan, what is your diagnosis and have you been to a pain management doctor? What did they say?

In California, you can get a prescription and legally buy medical marijuana. Do you have a prescription or are you buying it illegaly? If you live at home your parents do, in my opinion, have the right to ask you not to take illegal drugs.

• I'm going to have to agree with Bmom. If you do live in your parents home then, in my opinion too, they do have every right to object to your use of illegal drugs especially in their home. If you are not working and are relying on them for financial support as well as possibly any medical care then it also stands to reason they should have some say. Again we don't have all your details.

With that said, it sounds like you are asking for help looking for a facility that you can get into and actually put some faith into it. Good for you, because I agree that if you go into it not buying into the program the results will be less than stellar.

Ryan, you say surgery is not an option for you. Are you sure you have explored all possibilities? 10 years of pain is a long time for someone, especially at such a young age.

Keep us posted.
  • most western doctors consider eastern medicine as bogus and as dangerous also. why is that and don't tell me the old story about eastern medicine taking away money from western doctors. most don't support chiropractors also. research from western doctors shows that most eastern forms of medicine do not work. most people will go to a western doctor and most trust western medicine also. if it came to choice, i bet the majority of people would visit a western based doctor over an eastern one. i don't believe in chanting, aroma thearpy, herbal medicine, or having my back alligned by a chiorpractor. a lot of hom's will let people use chiropractors and accupunctor because of pressure from certain groups. you can believe what you want but give me a meat eating, cadillac driving, nra, republican doctor any day. if you want your back twisted and have needles stuck in you, that is your god given right but, not me. i have had nothing but good results from my doctors. they have saved my life a couple of times. if it wasn't for them, i would be dead now.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • What evidence you have for your assertion that "most western doctors consider eastern medicine as bogus and as dangerous also?"

I think you're also confusing "Eastern Medicine" with "Alternative Therapies." Some of the things you mention aren't even well respected within the fringes of alternative medicine. Acupuncture, a staple of Eastern Medicine, has quite a bit of clinical evidence of efficacy (and this is why most doctors now support its use in some situations, not because of pressure from fringe groups).

• such as acupuncture is now accepted here as I went to my Physiotherapist and they did the acupuncture and my insurance covered it. Not every PT is going to do this but now some hospitals have a acupuncture clinic. I also know of Medical Drs who know how to do acupuncture also so this is accepted as medical treatment now. You can find online Pain Management Centers in your area. Good luck. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I would actually prefer my dr not be an NRA member, or eat a ton of meat. I mean if he isn't healthy, how can he help me?? LOL
  • hi guys sorry for being so vague i just thought some people were going to respond with a couple different places but thanks for the concern and interest.......first off both sides of my family have bad backs so this is hereditary not from an injury but im sure my active lifestyle helped speed up the process! my last mri was in 08 and this is what it read. 1. mild ddd from l3-4 to l5-s1...... at l3-4 there is a 3-4mm broad based posterior disc protrusion with annular tear with moderate canal stenosis and moderate narrowing of lateral recesses.......at l5-s1 there is a 4-5 mm central and left paracentral disc protrusion moderate narowing of spinal canal and moderate narrowing of the lateral recesses bilaterally and mild narrowing of the left neural foramen. hope that helps. know to answer a couple other questions..... basically all the doctors ive seen have said im way to young to even think about fusions and that im basically not a canadiate for surgery due to my age the ddd and the stenosis .... so thats fine with me as i dont want surgery either. 2 years ago my pm doctor gave me an epidural and the next morning i got out of bed and fell to the ground in excruciating pain and this is where my story gets to long and complicated to even try to explain..... but needless to say me and my family have finally come to an agreement and i feel extremely lucky and fortunate to be able to go to an intensive outpatient program i found in santa monica.....i will keep you guys updated and let you know my progress.... thanks for the support and help.
This discussion has been closed.