Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need your opinion

sacramentassacramenta Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi! I recently posted on the sciatica board due to herniation in the lower back. For the last couple of months I have had a lot of pain in the neck, left shoulder, all the way down the arm and numbing in the thumb/index fingers. I did have whiplash 20 years ago and it has always bothered me at least mildly on and off for years. But recently it has been really bad and the worst is the gosh awful headaches.
I went to PCP who sent me to neurosurgeon. I thought for sure the MRI would show horrific findings considering the pain I have been in. It only found a bulging disk in c5-c6. I got the info from my chiro and will see the neuro next week.
I am shocked because it is as bad (if not worse) then my herniated disk when it was in full bloom. It seems from what I can see on google that a bulging disk should not be giving pain.
Does anyone have the same problem? If this is true I am going to feel stupid going back to the NS and have him to tell me I should not be having pain because believe me..this is really becoming hard to live with daily.

• I meant that I posted on the sciatica board in the past. It was last year that I had the problems which seem to be pretty good. Thanks!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    The Neuro may see some different findings. I wouldn't give up! the pain has to be coming from somewhere. He may even want to do different imaging. And besides 1 bad disc can cause significant pain. You don't necessarily have to have multiple discs be bad.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Sacrementa,

I agree with what Jim has said. The difference in bulging just means the size that doesn't mean it still isn't sitting on the nerve roots. It could be greater right than left or vice versa. Which in you case that is what I would bet. Keep in mind in the cervical spine there just isn't a lot of room. Don't be embarrassed about going back to the NS as Jim said they are looking at specific things. Be sure to take the actual films with you not just a report. Good luck keep us posted.
  • A bulging disc can cause pain if it's pinching on the nerve or pressing on the spinal cord. That would explain the pain radiating from the neck, shoulder, arm, and down to the fingers accompanied by numbness and weakness. Do you have any cervical DDD? It wouldn't hurt to go back to the NS to see what he thinks. Maybe he'll order more testing like a discogram or ct myelogram. Hang in there and take care.