Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Meds/side effects??

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI All..
As many here may know I have a L-5 herniation. I ran out of my pain meds early this month so I just saw my PCP. I was taking 30mg's 3x a day of oxycontin and 10/325 of oxycodone for B/T pain twice a day. The Dr just increased these meds to 40mg OC 3 x's and 4 oxycodone 3x's a day......do u all think these dose's are too much, not enuff? I'm unsure, i dont like taking all these pills. BUt anyway he wanted to give my either Lyrica or cymbalta or Neurontin cuz I have nerve daamgae issues from a previous surgery. i told him i didnt want all that stuff and i thought i read somewhere that neurontin had some scary side effects....does anybody know anything about this?Also, I'm scheduled for ESI's on 4-14....worried about that too and doubt it will help....comments?

• I was ordered 40 mg oxycontin 3x day and I usually only take 2 of them but sometimes 3.(rare) I take Cymbalta for sciatica. Good luck with the injections I'm due for a 2nd set next month.
    I'm concerned with taking Oxy also I only took 1 one day and 16 hours later felt a real annoying creepy feeling on my arms like I was going through withdrawal. Not a good feeling! I can see if I ever get better that my Dr. will need to taper me down slowly. But it's nice to have the pain at a tolerable level though it never really goes completely away. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm glad your PCP is helping you out with your meds. I was on Oxycontin 40mg 2x's daily and 6 10/325mg Oxycodones a day for BT pain months ago. I also was on Cymbalta for nerve pain, Zanaflex for muscle spasms, and Naproxen for inflammation. I took all of these meds altogether because they work on different aspects of this spinal pain.

I know, it's a lot of meds but most of us take this much just to get by. I think the nerve pain meds will really help you if you decide to take Cymbalta, Lyrica, or Neurontin. I never tolerated Neurontin and it made me feel like a robot, that's my experience with it. It does take a couple weeks to get used to this type of medicine and for it also to build up in your system. You have to remember to give it time.

Well, that's all I've got for now. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Take care buddy
  • Pain is so individualized it's hard to say if it is too much or too little. I think 2 things to consider are the amount of pain relief you are getting vs the risk of addiction to the meds you are taking.

I noticed that your doc increased your meds. Do you wake up from a sound sleep in pain? Have you experiemented with taking a little less or spacing the meds out? Are you working? Are you still socializing, exercising,etc. How far are you able to walk?

These are all things that when your pain is unmanaged you tend to be unable to do.

I take Neurotin for nerve pain and it really works! I didn't realize how well it worked until they didn't give it to me in the hospital (mistake) I had such horrible nerve pain. Like hot acid poured on my back! Once the neurotin was restarted, that pain went away! I was also given Cymbalta too for pain.

I have had many, many injections. they serve multiple purposes, diagnostic and pain relief. It helps them to pinpoint the pain generator. For me, I always got relief and it helped to delay my fusion. Initially, I got 9+ months of relief. As the years went on and the damage became worse, they didn't last as long, just a few months. But we were very sure where my pain location was! :)

Good luck, let us know what you deceide and how it goes! take care Shari

Good Luck~Shari
  • HI all,
    Thanks for those replies. I'm afraid cuz I been on this pain med for approx 2 years,,,ever since my 3 level acdf in 08......i think i am addicted to this stuff. I do wake up in pain, I cannot walk far without the use of a cane. I do not work, I was a NYS employee for well over 25 years but I had a very extreme case of stenosis, the growths were severing my spinal cord and I had a job which at times could have been dangerous............dealing with drunks and alike so they thought it best I took a dis. ret....which I did. I hope these injection help although its just 1 more thing that I'm not looking forward to having to go thru

• Hi Paul,

Nerve pain has to be the worst! I have known a good many days and nights that it has driven me crazy. According to my Physiarist, opiates don't really help nerve pain disappear. Anticonvulsant and simular meds help nerve pain the best.

I'm currently on Neurotin, and it has helped me tremendously. The only side effects that I've had was tiredness at first, but after awhile it went away. The other is short term memory, but it's not that bad just once in awhile. I have tried Lyrica, but because of cost and it didn't really help much I discontinued using it.

Also tricyclic help with nerve pain, and when taken with an anticonvulsant it helps even more. I take amitriptylin, and that helps with the nerve pain and sleep. But like all meds everyone reacts differently, and what works for one may not work for another.
    Bobbi Jo
  • Bobbie Jo..
    Thanks for that infor. My nerve pain is bad and yes, thats what the Dr's keep saying......Narcotics dont help nerve pain. I might have to go on some of these that u mentioned..
  • I've been thinking about this post all night. Yesterday I didn't want to say anything because what I had to say might discourage you and that is not what I want to do.

I had been on neurontin for about 9 months leading up to surgery. At first I didn't think it did much since I still had pain. The side effects include drowsyness and memory loss which gets somewhat better after a few weeks. Partly I think you learn to cope more than your body adjusting.

Just before surgery they suggested I start tapering off because I would not need it after. Well that's when I realized how much it was doing. The pain I was feeling was from the herniation pressing on the nerve but the neurontin made it bearable. As I decreased the dosage I couldn't believe how much it had been helping.

As far as side effects I realized that they had never really gone away. When I stopped completely it took another 2-3 weeks and suddenly I felt full of energy.

So I don't want to discourage you from trying these neuro meds. They do wonderful things and the benefit outweighs the side effects. But I also don't want you to think that the side effects will magically disappear.

Good Luck and tell us how it goes.
  • Kris..
    Thas an interesting post. I'm not sure why u thought about writing that all night,as I didnt feel it was too bad after reading it. In fact, u basically r saying that the neurontin helped u a great deal.

"short-term memory loss"....I'm 51 yrs old, cant remember what I did yesterday anyway,,lol....AS far a the tiredness/drowsyness...I dont look forward to that as the narcotics do That enuff.As I indicated in the other post, the pcp mentioned these drugs. IO will have to see or discuss these w/the neuro. I am concerned about these upcoming injections..i have an adversion to needles.

• I see alot of people have had some good succes with Neurotin but I did not (like meyday321). I work in medical sales and see a lot of doctors during the day. I was on the drug for 4 weeks and had doctors come up to me and ask me what was wrong. People were telling me I had "glassed over" look and that I looked terrible. I know that might just be my reaction but I have heard of others with the same thing. I just wanted to give my honest opinion because as soon as I stopped the drug, I felt like a cloud was lifted (but the nerve pain was back).
  • Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for posting

• Paul my concern was because I did not want to discourage you from trying these drugs. They can have excellent results. But I wanted to make sure that you understand that there are side effects.

As Warnerk said they can effect you in ways that you personally may not realize. I work in an office so I didn't get comments like that. But I know when I came off I could tell the difference.

So speak to your neuro. He most likely will want you to try them. Remember you build slowly and it will take many weeks before you are up to full dose and know if it is working for you. Only you will be able to judge if it is right for you.
  • Understood. Thanks so much for your input.

• I also wanted to say that it's a good thing that we have more choices when it comes to nerve pain meds, and if one causes intolerable side effects or doesn't help then you have other ones to try out. What I like about Cymbalta is that it serves a dual purpose- it's an antidepressant (we sure could use it with all the pain we're in ;) and it also works on nerve pain <:P I must admit it keeps me from feeling too down :''( and I see it as an added bonus. This is my experience with it and I don't mean to push one certain medication on you. Whatever works for you is the important thing. Take care :H