Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 week 360 fusion update

lynettellynette Posts: 217
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone!

I am improving daily. I walk 2-3x a day 15-20 minutes. Have been off narcotics since last week. No real pain except the left leg aches now and then. It does feel like nerve irritation but I guess I need to expect this. I started driving Sunday and have had an outing every day since. Drove myself to the mall to do a few errands. I don't last more than 1 hour but it's a change of scenery. I cooked dinner sunday and yesterday made cookies. My appetite is still not back to normal, but not losing anymore weight. My incisions have healed nicely after the peeling from the allergic reaction. My husband want to plan a little beach vacation in about 3-4 weeks before I go back to work. Not sure where to go that won't be too taxing on me. Overall I feel pretty good! Lynette
Lynette
advertisement

Comments

• hi lynette
    so happy off meds and your getting out..
    hr each time is great..keep up the great recovery
    keep us posted
    and enjoy your mini vacation
    mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Wow Lynette! Super Woman!! That is wonderful news and I am so happy for you! You are such a success story!

Your outings sound awesome and delightful! So does going for a vacay to the beach!

When are you thinking of returning to work. I know you are a nurse, but I can't remember the specifics? Will you have to wear your brace at work?

Congrats on your recovery. When others are nervous or unsure they should read your posts!

Hope you are having a great day! Shari
  • i myself may need the same operation .so i am very interested in your progress ..how long were you in theater and how long in hospital.also what were you like before your operation ...i ache all the time deep back ache and leg pain also very deep .i spend my life in a recliner as its the only thing i am comfy on ..i can't bend /stand or sit for long and life is hard work for me and as for sleep i never get more than 3 hours due to pain ..were you like this and how are you now .//sorry about the questions but i need as much info as possible one last question how many levels have been fused {i need 3 doing }
    many thanks
    STRAKER
  • Wow, you go girl. You sound like you are doing very well. I hope that things keep progrssing so nicely for you. You are doing a great job at walking. If you dont feel like you can make the beach trip, I know of someone who really could use some sun and sand ;) . Take care, and keep us posted. Robin
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Your doing better than just about anyone I've heard of lately. And that's one of the most invasive surgeries. Keep things on the light side and don't push it too much. You wouldn't want to take a step backwards on such a remarkable recovery. =D>
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I have felt so blessed since I woke up in recovery after 7 hours of surgery and not one once of nausea or a stitch of a sore throat. I keep knocking on wood afraid the rug will be pulled out from under me but I am a true optimist and hope my frame of mind has helped.

Jayhawk.. My plan is to take 8 weeks off, my surgeon said 6-8 weeks, then in the hospital before discharge he said if I wanted could return in 4 weeks if I really wanted. YEH RIGHT!! I am very fortunate that my current nursing job is outpatient radiation oncology and does not require me to lift or haul patients, but I am on my feet on and off but I do have a stretcher bay where I can lie down when I need. The current physican I work for is just amazing and understanding man and I can do what I need to do to make it work.

Straker...My hx was bad heriation in 2/08 with microdiscectomy L-5 S-1 with immediate relief of sciatica but was never quite right after surgery. 7/10 reherniation with right sciatica back on narcotics for 2 months.I was able to go to work, lie down a few times during the day and go home and lie down the rest of the evening.In oct. the sciatica was better but I was left with all low back pain. Mainly functional pain, bending lifting sitting too long. I had alot of aching during the night, waking to turn over caused alot of deep aching. So yes my symptoms were very similar to yours. I had just the one level done l-5 s-1.The rest of my discs are in good shape. My or time was 6-7 hrs(family a little confused on when I came out) and was in the hospital 4 nights.

It really took alot of work to have this done in NYC for me being 3 1/2 hrs from home and out of network. Neither of the surgeons accept any insurance so had to negociate payments cuz otherwise these surgeons could financially break you. I was lucky both surgeons agreed to take my bc/bs payment in full, and not bill me the balance. The spine surgeon bill alone was $160,000. The only bill so far that is outstanding and not sure what bc/bs will pay is my $8,000 anesthesia bill.They would not negociate pre surgery. The Hospital for Special Surgery did accept bc/bs so I just had to pay my out of network max which is $4,000. It was a tough decision to make but worth every penny at this point. I cannot recommend HSS enough for anyone in the NYC area. Lynette
    Lynette
  • Wow! That is a huge cost for a one level fusion...but I guess I don't know what they charge around here for a 360 since I just had a PLIF.

Glad everything has worked out well for you so far. Just don't push yourself too far too fast!

Gwennie
  • Lynette you are doing so well.
    Keep up the excellent healing, but don't be tempted to overdo it.
    Isn't a great relief to be on the other side of surgery and on the road to recovery?
    I'm sure that your story will give hope to lots of others.

Well done! :-)
  • You are doing incredibly well for such a big surgery!

Wishing you all the best for the rest of your recovery and looking forward to hearing more from you as the weeks go by.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
advertisement