Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back surgery (grade four slip)

retterrretter Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI,I have just discoverd this sight. The surgeon at my local hospital has told me ,i have a grade four slip,and need surgery.
I'm 37 years old and have had back pain for at least fifteen years,but more recently it has started to have a bigger impact on my everday life,unless ,plenty of co co damol are taken.
I also work in construction which dosent really help matters.

It would be, much appreciated to hear from anybody in a simlar situation to my self who has had undergone surgery, and get there angle on it ,althou i realize every case is slightly different.

• Where are you from?
    Which level is your slip? I'm assuming in your lmbar spine.
    I have just had a spinal fusion on L4/L5 for a grade 2 spondylolisthesis. My recovery is going very well, far better than I expected. I was expecting the worst though. A grade 4 slip is almost certainly going to need surgery.

Let us know more about yourself which will help us to answer you.
  • hi, my name is adam and im from the uk.
    glad to hear you are making a good recovery,how long post op are you? .

I need to gather a bit more info about my partcular case.am not that clued up with all the medical terminology.
    So all i know at the moment is that it is congenital,an its severity is grade 4 and it is very near the base of the spine.

Speedy recovery
  • Hi and welcome to the forum..I had a grade one slip at L5/S1 with ruptured disk...What caught my attention with your post is that the type of work you do ( construction )..I am 48 and started construction when I was 15 and the last 14 years as a commercial electrician.....over the last 10 years my back has been trouble some....the ruptured happened last October during work......After all was said and done , the state accepted the claim as an occupational disease....I was surprised by this , but it also made alot of sense....The state and my case worker have been more then supportive and helpful in this matter...when it 1 st happened I though I had another back strain , it wasn't till December when I had an MRI that I had learned I really hurt my back at work this time...some thing to think about , it might be work related....
  • Welcome to our forum.

I had a spondylolisthesis (slip) L4/5 but not sure if it was a grade 1 or 2, but it was getting worse. I had a fusion (anterior - front) last October, and now I've got my life back again. My surgeon put a large cage in to jack up the vertebrae.

For a grade 4, would think you'll need surgery, but do as much research as you can on this site.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I thought you might be from the UK when I read of the Co- codamol.
    My surgery was on 19 th March.
    I had been trying to avoid surgery for a long time but wastold it would get worse and I would end up in a wheelchair because of the severe compression on my cord and nerve roots.
    My sciatica has gone now, so I am very hopeful :-)
    There are some great articles on this site about spondylolisthesis explaining the different grades of slip and what they mean. I believe a grade 4 slip is between 75 and 100 percent slip, so you probably have a pretty unstable spine that will need a fusion to stop it slippingfurther.

Keep asking questions. You will learn a lot about your condition and get emotional help too.
    Take care