Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 days out

nursedina001nnursedina001 Posts: 235
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
ok all 5 days out and i'm moving better - as long as I'm taking the pain meds. As soon as they wear off - I feel lik eI have been kicked by a horse and dragged 50 feet. The battery site is sore and stinging and I have no where else to whine so here I am whining away, Hopefully someone else here will under stand. I'm tired of the ever increasing bump on my upper back that when I lay down it feels like I am laying on a can of hair spray. Anyone else here tat can relate? I feel very alone and tired of being in pain, Thanks.

• you will soon adapt to the stim. They are very positional. What i do when im going to lay down is to turn the stim down as low as i can get it. It also seems to help if i lay on my side in lieu of my back.If that does not work, ask your rep to develop a stim that you can use while laying down. low level impulses. Your rep is your best friend throughout this ordeal. Have a strong mind and you will get through this. The first week or two is the worst. After that its all down hill. At least it was in my case.
  • Welcome to the other side. Sit back, take it easy and have the family tend to your needs. Everything will heal in good time and then you be able to get back to living life again.

That's about as stimulating conversation that I have for this evening.

• You are just now on the time line where things will start to feel better and better every day. The burning in the pocket will become less pronounced and will only get irritated when shifting from different positions and it will settle quickly.

The bump you are referring to ... the area where the leads were anchored? It is quite normal for scar tissue to develop around the anchors and for someone with an SCS to develop small nodules near the incision. Mine are at the top between my shoulders and can become irritated, but it takes more and more to irritate them.

So have faith, this all calms down as you go along.

One thing that I found nice, was to find a position on my back where I could get the stim to hit as much of my body at once. Lay there for about 10-15 minutes and give myself an internal massage or treatment. It is known to release natural endorphins and I find it gives me an edge over the morning pain or pain that has crept in throughout the day.

Hang in there,

• I felt like I was laying on a hand full of acorns. I had a rather large swollen area around my incision and with time that went away. If I over use my back muscles I will have an ache in that area...but it doesn't last long. Along with "C" I find it relaxing to lay down at night and give myself an all over massage...sometimes my husband asks me what I am smiling about...and all I can say is...I am enjoying the moment...he just can't understand the relief of that internal massage.

Remember this SCS is a tool to help with pain relief...some can reduce their meds...some can not. I was one of the lucky ones. I am down to just one pain pill a day...and off antidepressants. Some days I have more pain and I don't feel bad about having to take something for it...as I know it isn't a daily thing. Even my doctor was shocked at how well this is working for me. I am one of the few who received the SCS or other than back pain...I have severe pelvic pain that cripples me. I feel like I have a life now. I hope this works well for you and you get back the part of your life you were missing. To all those who read this...I pray and hope you all get the relief you need to have some type of life.
  • Ive been laying on my side ut i am going to lay on my back right now and "enjoy the moment". I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself so maybe this will help :)
  • you can not feel sorry for yourself as per say. This will put you into a depressive mood. Stay positive and it will improve day by day. I had my implant on Jul 7 09 and my meds was reduced drastically. I have been only taking 60mg of cymbalta and ambien to aid in sleeping. I felt 100% better for the first 6 months. But now the neuropathy is spreading even further. So we have added 300mg of neurotin and it is hepling alot. Remember the target for SCS is at least 50% pain reduction. Do you turn your SCS off at all? I found that i needed to leave mine on at a very low setting at night for good results. Even though you may not feel any stim, if the SCS is on you still are getting some results. Anothert thing is, do not feel bad about asking for reprogramming any time you think its needed. The reps job is get it right. The stim will change over time and needs to be adjusted. Keep the faith and things will be better. Everyone on this site understand what you are going thru.
  • i think i am just feeling alone. my boy friend was here till yesterday and he had to go back to work. i am alone, in pain, and it sucks. i have been keeping the stim on, it obviously does not help with the surgical pain. my upper back is the worst. orobably due to the laminectomy . i am also coming to terms that i may never work again (im a nurse) and that sucks. i guess its just my little pity party!
  • On day 4 after my permanent implant, I got out. I needed the fresh air and the lack of confinement around me. it helped so much and I really believe it helps me deal with the discomfort and sort of set it aside. Since I was 7,700 miles away from home, I was living in a lodge for a month. So I just made it my mission to get out and see as much as I could. I feel it really helped me heal physically and emotionally during that first month.

• pity parties are ok every now and then, but do not let it consume your life. Like stated before, get out of your house and take in nature. Even if its only for a short time at first. I understand i part about worrying if you will ever go back to work. I force myself to go to work everyday and pay dearly for it at night. I have always hoped it would get better, but in my case its getting worse. With you being a nurse, you know its good therapy to get patients moving as soon as possible. Cry on our shoulders any time you want. Thats what we are here for.
  • I'm glad you made it home from the hospital already. At least now you can "sleep" without people barging in and out of your room. I can relate to feeling lousy after I had my pain pump put in. The incisions bothered me a lot. I have one in my side (abdomen) and one in my lumbar spine. I had to call the surgeon one weekend because the pain and spasms were so bad and I was told to use a heating pad on the incisions for 20 minutes at a time. I don't know if you can do this but maybe you can ask your surgeon. It will get better soon for you so hang in there sweetie. We're here for you okay? Take care >:D<
  • Let me offer this advise to you. I know you probably feel like you can't at this point but force yourself to talk small walks throughout the day. Even if it is to the mailbox and back or a couple of houses down...this will get you moving and help the healing...and get you some fresh air to help with the depression. Don't give up on being a nurse just yet. Accomodations can be made to assist you in your job. Right now the medications are making you a little depressed on top of the pain and it isn't a time for you to make any decisions. Get a good book...sit outside and read...the fresh air will help. Don't sit or lay for extended periods of time. If I can offer you any advise please PM me...and if you need to vent PM. No need to do this alone. I know how you feel I am a single mother and felt that I would never meet anyone but I have. At the time of my surgery it was me a 17 and 10 year old and no one else to help me. It is depressing but it does get better. At least you have a boyfriend who is there when he can. Please don't let yourself get down.