Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Staples

steve withrowssteve withrow Posts: 70
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have staples in the back ...Just wondering what the average length of time till removed...?
advertisement

Comments

• mine were put in 3/19 coming out 3/31 hope that helps ya.
  • Oh , I have a Dr.s appointment tomorrow..Maybe that's what he is doing , they have been in 2 weeks...I hope it doesn't hurt to much.... Yikes....
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    staples are removed 10 to 12 days after they were used.
    If kept in longer, they just become more difficult to remove.
    I have not heard of any dangers keeping them in longer
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Mine were taken out on day 10.
    They had become red and a little inflamed, so glad to get rid of them
  • I only had 1 staple from where my JP drain was. My incision has all disolvable sutures. But the 1 I had was getting irritated and it was taken out at my 2 week appt. It didn't hurt. :)

Tonya
  • I was scared to death to have mine taken out. I had 13 I believe. It didn't hurt at all. I only felt like the first one and it was a little pinch. The next thing I knew, he was done!
  • That is what amazed me. I had staples twice and I was so surprised at how fast they came out. This surgery I had 23 or so. They were out in about a minute. The worst one felt like when you pull the scab off a cut too soon. Mine were probably in too long because he said they were pink and puffy.

Good Luck today
  • Staples taken out today....I can finally take a full shower...morning started off rough , didnt feel to good , just felt real off....could have been anxiety about going to Dr,..also didnt eat to much this morning and have a habit of taking my meds on a empty stomach....But I have been doing that all along...just a weird morning....but all in all feeling alittle better....
  • I bet that shower felt great!!! I cheated a bit on showering. They said to not get it wet until the incision closed. So I was all bandaged up and took a shower as soon as I got home from the hospital. The next day my husband bought new bandages and changed it after the shower.

I heal very quickly and within a few days of surgery I was well closed so I started taking gentle showers without the bandage. I remember my first grade teacher saying cuts heal better when exposed to the air so thats what I did. Of course I wonder if she just said that because she didn't want us going to the nurse.....

Oh well. You will feel so much better now. Remember each day gets better and soon you won't remember what you felt like .
  • Glad you finally got yours out and could shower!

In general, it is much easier to remove staples if you have cleaned them well. Use peroxide and water and gently scrub off the scabby crusty stuff. MUCH easier to take them out that way. If staples on your scalp, don't use peroxide as it will lighten your hair, but scalp staples much harder to take out if they are crusty. Just use anti-bacterial soap and water and have someone clean them gently.

From personal and professional experience, it really doesn't hurt that much to remove them unless you've left them in for 5 months(true story, not me personally tho!)

Of course, anything your doctor says is more important than my personal advice. Your doc or nurse has seen you and knows what is best for you.
  • Glad you finally got yours out and could shower!

In general, it is much easier to remove staples if you have cleaned them well. Use peroxide and water and gently scrub off the scabby crusty stuff. MUCH easier to take them out that way. If staples on your scalp, don't use peroxide as it will lighten your hair, but scalp staples much harder to take out if they are crusty. Just use anti-bacterial soap and water and have someone clean them gently.

From personal and professional experience, it really doesn't hurt that much to remove them unless you've left them in for 5 months(true story, not me personally tho!)

Of course, anything your doctor says is more important than my personal advice. Your doc or nurse has seen you and knows what is best for you.
  • Good for you Steve! That first full shower rocks!! Since I had Dermabond, I was able to shower right when I got home. (3 days,ughhh) I don't really remember it, but I am sure it was good. LOL

Best,
    Traci
  • Steve! Glad you got your staples out! Another milestone on you road to recovery!

Not much is better than that first shower! I couldn't shower for 12 days, and my hair had dreadlocks! :0 Hah!!

Hope you are feeling better! Enjoy your weekend!

Take care! Shari
advertisement