Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why such severe lower back pain?!

RRraeRRRrae Posts: 85
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I KNOW this is an 'obvious' and silly question to be asking especially since I'm only one month out from my SCS implant, but please hear me out before you become overwhelmed with the urge to start throwing tomatoes at me :S

Both implant sites have healed wonderfully.....barely even tender to the touch at all!

I can't figure out WHY since going back to work, I've had TERRIBLE lower back pain...and it's ONLY when I've been at work at my office job sitting in my office chair.
The first time the pain came on so heavily was the day after my 1st day back at work....and I had put in a 12-hr day....told myself that was too much too soon.
Took a few more days off. While I'm at home, my back is fine. Then I went back to work for only 4-5 hrs and tried using pillows to cushion the chair, tried using different chairs....but the next day...same thing. VERY severe 'aching' muscle pain. It's not sharp pain, just very achy (pain scale 6-7).

I can't figure out WHY this is happening only when i go to work (also happened on a smaller scale after watching my boys play a double-header baseball game)
When I'm at home, NO pain.....yes I lay around alot at home while recouping so being able to lie down is obviously the biggest help, but I do sit in several different chairs around the house and I'm ok.

I've never had lower pain issues like this.
I'm guessing part of it is because my back muscles are weakened due to the post-op restrictions and not being able to excercise them. (I can't WAIT to be able to get back to the therapy pool at the fitness center!)
This pain has nothing to do with the incision sites or IPG pocket (Lumbar incision and IPG below waist in my butt for those who don't know).

Simply stated, I can't understand WHY this issue is presenting itself now? And why only after I've been sitting at work. After going thru all the pain with incision sites healing I figured I'd be on a good path.

Laying on ice temporarily relieves...but that's about it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else? If so, what can I do to combat this.......besides the obvious :B quitting my job is not an option.

• I'm wondering if possibly it could be the way the chair is hitting you at the thigh? I find that depending on what the depth is of the chair seat, how high it is off the floor, how deeply one sinks into the cushion, etc. all have an effect on whether I sit comfortably, or not. Maybe you could try putting a small footstool under your feet when you sit in your desk chair to see if that makes any difference.

You always want to sit so that the knees are never higher than the hips, if possible.

I went to one spinal surgeon's office that had the most uncomfortable chairs in the waiting room. They looked like they were designed well for orthopedic patients, but they were miserably uncomfortable.

Hopefully others will have ideas for you. This is what popped into my head.

Glad the SCS is working out for you.

• This is the story of my life. I keep an electronic stove timer at work which I set to go off every 30 minutes. The key is to get up off your @ss as much as possible. If your implant is similar to mine, they still had to cut some of the muscles so they could retract them to properly anchor the leads in place. It takes time to heal from surgery. Your probably aggravating everything back there.