Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Your accent?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Lighten and Brighten
Slowly we begin to know where other spinneys live. Thanks to several members posting "Where are you From"

As a side note to that, I am always curious regarding someone's accent.

I love listening to Miki. That Georgia southern drawl is great! But then I was surprised to find out that Jeauxbert doest not have that southern drawl!

I've been living in Connecticut since 1974. So, I would imagine in some way I have picked up a New England style.
Definitely not a Boston accent.

Now when I talk to people at the wine shop and start talking/selling wines, I try to listen to their accent to see where they are from. After I do find out, I ask them where they think I came from.
To a tee, when I ask people where I came from, 99.99999% of the people answer, No question, you are from New Yorker

Funny, I cant hear that accent.

Whats Yours?
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Great thread!

My parents are Welsh, but I grew up partly in London and partly in South-west Wales. I had a pretty strong cockney accent as a kid, but when we went back to Wales I'd gradually start speaking with a Welsh accent! After years of moving around (Europe and Asia), going to both Brit and American schools and a Chinese university, the cockney has receded a lot. I don't know how I'd describe my accent now. Just regular British, I guess, with a hint of Welsh. I'm a bit of a mongrel...
  • I have no accent mainly 3rd generation English(Mothers side & 4th generation on my Father's side from Scotland. and I live in Canada and don't speak French so not that I know of that I have an accent. I worked briefly in Florida for a few months and I was telling my Boss that I had to get back home but she wanted me to stay and work longer. Anyway I told her I had a flight in 2 days back to Canada and she says What I thought you were from West Virginia because of your accent? I don't know I only passed through there but I guess I sounded like that to her....Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    According to the members in US I have met or spoken to on voice chat, I sound like supernanny' LOL
    I am from South London

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I'm from New Jersey. I don't talk like the Sopranos, or those ding bats on MTV's "The Shore". I just talk "normal" for where I live. I guess we all think we don't have an accent until we speak to someone from another part of the country/world.

The butchering of the english language is killing me. However, that's another topic altogether.
  • I'm from south of Boston, so......a Boston accent for sure. For a short time I lived in upstate NY. I was working as a nurse, one of my patients was having a serious problem, ran up to my head nurse and blurted out the problem real fast, and she started laughing because of my accent. First time I even realized how much it stands out lol.

P.S. and yes, Liz sounds like super nanny lol!
  • I'm from Nashville Tn,born and raised here.I'd say I have a southern accent,but I sound like everyone else here.
    I say "I reckon" "I'm fixin too" I call people bubba and hunny.Have a good day all.
  • I'm originally from Jackson, Mississippi but live in the Memphis,Tennessee area now. I speak fluent redneck too Mark.

I'm not = I ain't
    Tomatoes = Maters
    Potatoes = Taters
    Jalapeno's = Hollapeener's
    Window = Winder
    Fellow = Feller
    That's just a few to mention.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I've lived in California most of my life. But I was born in Wyoming, And lived in Iowa till I was 10. So I wouldn't think I have any accent. But I,m told that I have a mid western accent.
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • i'm from chicago,IL never thought that i had a accent till i went to florida..as a teen and so many ppl said you must be from chicago..
    so i guess we all do...
    and i have had the great pleasure of chatting with some members on voice chat..and love hearing different accents..
    and yes liz you do sound a bit like supernanny..but you usually behave so no naughty chair for you..lol
    love chatting with don he has the best southern draw..
    we need voice chat in sh...so work on that next ron
    thanks ron
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Originally from Brooklyn NY and fluent in Brooklynese
  • South western pa, so I don't think I have an accent, pretty sure I'm wrong too!

Move across state line into WV and You'ns becomes Y'all.

Go up into the mountains and a bag becomes a poke.
    Reaching, becomes wretching. Once my MIL secretary said, " I wretched in the back seat for a poke" My MIL thought she had thrown up in the back of her car! =))

My mother drenches things off in the sink, she never rinses anything, I don't go home cause it is dirty =))

My English teacher was furious in high school because we have shortened the phrase, "Have you eaten dinner yet" to G'eat? :))(
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm from southwest VA and I'm the same as Mark and milkshake. I shore am. I tell people that I know how to talk 'proper' but I just can't do it. It's just not me. I've got a bad habit of saying "atterwhile" instead of after while. Well, that's just one of many bad habits truthfully.

• What's a NYC accent sound like. I'm lived here most of my life so everybody sounds the same. Only time I didn't live here and I was told that I talked faster than most others. Was that the accent or just how I talked???
  • I'm from Canada, eh! I was born with hockey skates on.
  • I sound very much like everyone else in this area.....most of the people who don't sound like me moved back to Michigan when the Saturn plant closed. A lot of people seem to think we are a little slow because our speech is slow, but when they get to know us they find we are actually ok.

Jane in TN
  • Since I grew up in Southwest FL, I have no real accent. That area sounds vaguely mid west flat. At least until I moved to TN almost 15 years ago. Now I have a little bit of a southern accent. But not too strong. I like it. It's my bread and butter!!

• janetatum said:
    I sound very much like everyone else in this area.....most of the people who don't sound like me moved back to Michigan when the Saturn plant closed. A lot of people seem to think we are a little slow because our speech is slow, but when they get to know us they find we are actually ok.

Jane in TN
    Jane, I find my speech to be slow because it is hard to find the right words and get them to come out in order. It's a med thing for me...I did not have this trouble in the past, I expect I would do better at speech if I was off the meds, but, I guess I would then be in pain, so I'll talk nice and slow.

I always thought that southern drawl as they call slowed down their speech too?
  • ...mine is a soft New Zealand accent, which most ppl cannot recognise outside of New Zealand and think that I am an Australian (which is like calling a Canadian a US person, or vice versa, or calling an English person Scottish!).

The smarter people that I meet in Asia here recognise that I don't have an Aussie accent and, therefore, think I am from South Africa

...hands up those who know where New Zealand is???
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Well I am sure I don't have one. I grew up on a farm in southern Missouri and moved to the city when I was young. The only thing that most notice on me is I talk fast. My mom was huge on proper speaking and was forever telling me to enunciate my words. But put me back in the country and I can still twang and take me north and listen up as it comes fast. Then every now and then confuse it all up and put twang and speed together not a pretty picture. But for the most part no accent here, unless I have been traveling. But, i still ask for a pop in place of a soda.
  • Well I'm from Louisiana and I'm sure that I don't have an accent...it's y'all. I'd say that I have a cajun accent, but a REAL cajun accent. Movies and TV shows that are set in this state or centered around the bayou or the swamp are quite embarrasing to all of us here because they are so exaggerated.

My mother didn't speak English until she was 12. She spoke Cajun french. And she always told my sister and I, "Please, don't let people know where you're from because of your dialect." If you travel around this area, just 20 miles, you will hear such an assortment of accents. My mom perfected her English almost to the point of obsession. If my sister or I said something that wasn't proper English, she'd yell across the house (or wherever) to correct us. We still do it, only to annoy her :) If we end our sentence with a preposition.....Lord have mercy! But it's really funny, because when she's really mad, her cajun accent seems to surface. (but of course, neither of us are brave enough to tell her that!) :))(