Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questions...2 weeks till Surgery

techsan20ttechsan20 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all. This is may first post.

I injured low back in Sep 09' and treated with steroid pak. All was good until Dec 09 when started to get sore again...January came and sharp pains in low back when left foot extended when walking. Was sent for MRI and then referred to Ortho. Was prescribed Hyrdocodone and another steriod pack by PCP...but pain is still bad. Not really taking Hydrocodone..didn't feel it did anything. Ortho said I had a 7mm bulge, but as I was not in a whole lot of pain prescribed PT. Did PT and saw chiropractor. Three weeks later all hell broke loose..woke up with my left leg on fire and walking hunched over. Sitting was my only relief. On recommendation from PCP went to top nuerosurgeon who looked at MRI's from JAN and said he recommends microdiscectomy. Took a couple of days to research and decided based on my pain for the past 3 weeks to do it. So...its scheduled for the 12th of April. Right now the pain is excruciating. I can barely walk 10 yards before burning and pain in my legs and ankle. My foot is numb. Sleeping sitting up in the living room chair.

My question is regarding pain killers or other methods of pain management in regards to surgery. Could I ask for/get a cortisone shot 2 weeks prior to the surgery? What about Lyrica? Other meds? Just needs something to ease pain up until surgery date in 2 weeks.

ps - I am allergic to ibuprofen (yes..sucks)

• Techsan,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of you back issues but all of us here can relate to you. You said the hydrocodone did nothing for you, what is your dose and how many did he say you could take? Did you only try it once or have you had mutiple doses? Sometimes it take a few doses to start to get the pain under control then take it regularly to keep it under control. I had severe sciatica prior to my microdiscectomy and did go home on lyrica which I feel was effective. You need to call your physican and let him know your pain is not being controlled and they can make some adjustments. You need to have tried it though as they directed 1st. It is a horrible pain and feel for you but I can tell you that when I woke up after the micro the pain was gone!! Good luck and keep us posted. Lynette