Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

dilema

AlekrowAAlekrow Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:43 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, I have problem to solve, maybe somone else had. Input welcome.
over 2 years ago I had fusion c5/c6, after operation evrything was fine for abt 1 year. a little over a year ago I was start having pain in right arm shouler blades, neck. Pain was incrising after time goes by week by week, MRI ect, shows bulge disk, now I'm in point that doctors pressing me to have operation by not refiling my pain medication. I did managed ok with it, since was norco they (3 of them) do not want to issue any more wich leaving me with only 1 option, operation. They know and I know after a year or so I'll have same problem with another disk. The qiestion of my is, what to do to stay on pain medication so I can avoid another fusion. ist there some kind of law to follow or just blindly go under scalpel again and again, inputs welcome, thanks.
advertisement

Comments

  • I would get a 2nd opinion if they're saying you need surgery again. What would surgery do for you? Will it stop the nerve compression? Best to see why they want you to have surgery because it shouldn't be just to have better pain control. It should be used for spinal stability and getting the nerves released from compression. See what the 2nd surgeon would recommend and maybe it's possible to see a new Pin Management Dr. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • What disc is bulging now? Are they saying to do another fusion?

    As I'm sure you have read many times one fusion leads to another and another. Most docs will delay fusion as long as possible for this reason as long as there is no risk of permanent nerve or cord damage.

    Only you know if this is the right time for you. I would get at least another opinion. There alot of factors to consider. Age, activity, affect of drugs on activity, overall health.

  • I'm sorry you're in this predicament and that you feel pressured into having a fusion. Is there anything else showing on the MRI besides a disc bulge? Is there nerve or spinal cord compression? I think that the doctors want to fix the problem instead of treating the pain with Norco. Nowadays they don't like prescribing pain meds on a long term basis and they rather send you to a pain clinic. I do however have a feeling that you might be told that you should consider it esp if there if the nerve or cord is compromised. That would be a valid concern in my opinion but of course I don't know all the details of your case. One time long ago, I kept growing and rupturing ovarian cysts in the one ovary I had left after a prior hysterectomy. My GYN said "No more waiting, you need surgery and you can't keep taking Lortab since this will go on and on". I was trying to put off the surgery and I was also tired of going through them since I already had 9 at that time.

    Anyway, I also agree that it would be a good idea to get a second opinion too and see if you have other options. I hope things work out for you and that you get to feeling better. Take care :H
  • Hi, it's me again. the issue is doctors, neurosurgeon, pain menagement, my physican do not want to issue any more norco, due to controlled substance and probobly more paperwork for them.
    the disk bulging is couse previous fusion level up from it, also start going level down. I told them I see chiropator for few month allready, I see slow improovement but it is improovement. I've noticed they not really belive to this therapy, no matter, I'm going. I'm also looking for new physician, one I can trust, it just so frustrated how they rush with this scalpel idea and they know is not cure for longer time, just money they want. I did posted MRI conclusion last year if somone care to read and figure it out. Thanks for reading. I'll keep posting from time to time how things progressing.
advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.