Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bailey1bbailey1 Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Pain Management
Ok so a few weeks ago I went and seen a psychologist before I start my trail for the scs-spinal cord stimulator. She recommended me to see a psychiatrist a few times before they would proceed with the SCS.
My appointment was today at 1:pm I showed up on time expecting to see the psychiatrist. Do u think that’s what happened??? NO!!! this is yet ANOTHER! Pain management program place… I feel as if I have been blind sided by my own doctors. I have lost trust in them. The Dr. said in order for me to see the psychiatrist they needed a full visual of me and how I function. WHAT DOES SEEING A PSYCHIATRIST HAVE TO DO WITH HOW I MOVE!!! I’m so upset right now this place was throwing appt after appt at me and I have no idea what they are for. I’m so confused now on what im supposed to be doing… is this for the scs anymore I have NO idea. I have been through 2 other pain management programs in the past the most recent was Nov 09 so 5 months ago.. I was there for 2 weeks and ended due to it causing more pain than good.. So my question is why would they send me to another stupid pain management program when all the others have failed… I can not express this enough to my doctors… I’M ACTIVE I do what I’m supposed to do. I walk every morning I do my core strengthening 2-3 times a day stretches 2-3 times a day all depending on how I feel at the time… I’m getting the feeling no one is out there to listen to me.. Today has been a total let down by my Doctors.. I was un-prepared for such a thing mentally blindsided by the ones who are supposed to take care of me… my stress went through the roof heart rate was rapid I almost had a panic attack right in the office… I’m so stressed right now I don’t know what to do. I’ve been crying sense I got in my truck to leave… idk maybe I’m over reacting but I’ve been pushed into a corner her by these people they tell me there names but I can’t hear them I’m in a state of depression anxiety and stress this is my nightmare over and over again doing these pain management programs that never seem to work for me.. It’s not that I’m weak in my back I have plenty of muscle it just hurts to do stuff why can’t they comprehend this… I do have some weakness in my right leg I can try to work on that more… there has to be something different out there other than pain management programs that could maybe help me… why would insurance companies continue to pay for procedures that have yet top help me out in the past,… does the phrase what works for one might not work for the other mean anything to Doctors???

My day is shot to hell I’m so stressed….

• Wow! Bailey I feel for you. This just isn't right. You and I have had plenty of late night chats, and I know what you've been dealing with. What are these dr doing to you? You have been through so much. It's just not fair. You have played by their rules, and have followed dr orders to the letter. What more do they expect from you? More pain management I guess. Your insurance company must be in love with that program, or your dr is.

Have you thought of calling your insurance company? Maybe they can get you out of pain management, and on the path once again to the SCS? It's worth a shot. Have you thought of calling ns or pm dr, and ask him why you need to do more pain management? I don't know I'm grabbing at straws here. This just doesn't seem right to me. I'm sure there are others on here who no more about the procedure on how to get scs.

I may not have a magic answer for you. Or know why their doing this to you. But remember I'm always here to listen to you. We can always have more of those late night chats, or earlier if you prefer. It always helps me to have somebody just listen to whats going on. Sometimes that's all anyone needs.

Take care Bailey, and have a painless as possible day, and morrow.
    Bobbi Jo

• hi bailey
    now that just plain suxs..they are doing the revolving door on you..
    call your doc and complain and also put it in writing..to them..
    do you have to get referral thru your doc in order for insurance to cover the phsycia doc..
    as bobbie stated call insurance co.
    or call the scs trial place and ask them..
    i'm so sorry for all your going thru..and i'm here anytime for chat..
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    It's all about the money. S.C.S. is very expensive. If the insurance co. can outlast you by making you jump through all of these hoops. And you give up. Then they will only have to pay the Dr's. that they have contracts with. And not the actual S.C.S. unit surgery. (did I say, very expensive)
    DON'T GIVE UP!!! Or they win! And you lose!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hi Bailey,

I am sorry that they stressed you out so much with this rollercoaster. I am glad that you know that this is a great place to vent your frustrations! Boy, you have every right to be frustrated. Please don't let all these delays get you down for long. May I suggest that you call and confirm right before each appointment with whom you are meeting and why? I know that this is an extra step and effort on your part, but it may help you to feel some kind of control over your treatment. That element of surprise really shocked your system. You were mentally preparing for one thing and were completely set back and shocked. Maybe the confirmation phone call might help clarify the nature of each appointment and the person you are seeing.

The main thing is that I am sorry that you haven't been heard and understood by a doctor or program. It would be so great to feel that you had a sense of trust and a team behind you. That would help the most. Please know that we understand your frustration and pain. Many of us have unfortunately experienced "the run around", and it is aweful. I hope that you can get this straightened out and get on your way to your SCS trial. Don't give up!! Know that we are here!! Hang in there!!

• Do you ask what your appointments are for when they are made? Part of surviving in this world of doctors appointments and pain management, is being your own advocate. As JeanJaye pointed out, calling to confirm who you are seeing and for what, prior to going, can save a lot of heartache and hassle. I like to do this at the same time the appointment is scheduled instead of waiting, but I'm sure either way will help. Some times appointments are made by office staff and wrong codes are entered, wrong doctors, wrong complaints etc ... in order to avoid wasting time, and having the anguish you are experiencing now, take an extra few minutes to firm everything up right away. That way you can catch some of this before you wait weeks or months.

I hope you get it worked out soon.