Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nope-NOT an April Fools joke! FINALLY won my case!

EMTgoneNUTZEEMTgoneNUTZ Posts: 321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hey everyone-just thought I'd update you with this excellent, and surprising, news!

I have FINALLY won my SSDI case!!!!! AND, I didn't even have to go to court on the 8th now!

Long story short-my atty wrote the Judge to ask if he could rule w/o going through another hearing b/c of all of the new evidence & recent findings (L4/5 & L5/S1 are torn, in addition to the 3 cervical & 3 other lumbar discs that are shot) & my difficulty in sitting that would cause me so much pain during the hearing, & today (of all days, go figure!) he heard back-the Judge agreed & has awarded me the disability! I don't have all of the details yet as far as $ or anything, all I know is that he deemed me fully favorable. My atty is coming down to FL for vaycay in a few days (since he had planned to be here for the hearing anyway & had already booked his hotel, etc) so he is going to take me to a celebratory dinner. He said either SSA will mail me the info, or he'll bring it to me if they fax it to him before he leaves. Oh, & I also don't have to wait 2 years before M'care kicks in either, which was a pleasant surprise! (because I've been waiting longer than 29 mos-that's what the atty said)

Thank you SO much for all the support! I've still got a little climbing left (wanna see the decision in writing as well as the $, plus still need the fusion done), but I've been waiting SO long to hear the word "approved", I haven't been able to stop grinning since my atty called :-)

I'll update when I find out the details-hopefully there isn't any "catch" involved, ya know? (guess it's hard not to be skeptical after all of the let downs in this process)

Those of you still fighting-do NOT give up! Nobody said it's an easy process, but the benefits will certainly worth the perseverance!

Have a great night everyone! :-)

• Tonya,

That is wonderful news and I am sure you are very relieved by this news. Try and relax and enjoy the moment that you have waited so long for. Take care.
  • It's always good to see when someone who should get disability actually gets it. They do make you jump through hoops to finally get to the right decision.

I know I'm in the loop myself right now. I'm on first appeal even though my doctors all said that I could never work again after my surgery in 2009.

So anyway there's hope for us all. Yay
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Tonya, keep on grinnin'
    Jim :D

Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I'm so happy to hear the good news. It's been a long time coming and you deserve to be independent now and not have to worry as much where the funds are going to come from. Very glad to see you have this great news and hope your Atty brings the numbers down to you. Happy Easter. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That is excellent news! I'm very happy that April 1st turned out to be a memorable day for you and in a very good way!

• WOOOHOOO! <:P Congratulations! =D> What's even better is that you get back pay from the your disability date. I got 3 years back pay and it rocked. I'm so happy for you and your kids, you guys have gone through so much. I know this will help make life a little easier. Call me if you wanna go shopping.. :-C Take care
  • Yes, it's definitely been a LONG time coming (would be 5 years in Sept since I filed, June 10th since I've worked). I lost everything, including a man that I loved deeply & 2 of my 3 sons who I gave up to their dad b/c I knew it was in their best interests (this is when I was living in the tent). I've been blessed with the help from my parents, but will be SO relieved of guilt when I can finally start paying my own bills & buying my own "normal" things (like t.p., shampoo, etc!)! I also have to do something about my teeth-I can't eat anything but soft foods now because they break so easily, and I have MANY back teeth broken off at the gumline, some of which the gums have even grown over-so I know I need a LOT of work done (what can ya do when you don't have dental coverage, ya know?).

I'm just anxious to get the info in writing, the $ coming in, the fusion done, recovery going & finishing nursing school/getting to work again! Thankfully 2010 is looking MUCH better than any other year has in a very long time :-)

I did find out one somewhat disappointing tidbit tho-the Judge wouldn't go back to 6/2005, only to 8/2007. He based this decision solely on MRI & CT reports, but my atty said that if I turned that down there was a good chance the Judge would've denied me completely since the last ALJ did in 2009, so I decided to take what I could get & focus on the future benefits that I desperately need. Still a good chunk of $, but I do feel it was unfair considering I was initially injured in 2002, again in 2004 but continued working as long as I could, until 6/10/05. *sigh* But, I'm not going to let that bring me down-I'm happy to have finally WON & check my mail eagerly every day waiting for paperwork to show up in the mail! I need to get my bank acct info in place so I can get Direct Deposit-nobody has asked me about that (unless it was in the very beginning, which I dont have that acct anymore as it was back when I lived in Michigan so I will definitely be taking care of this ASAP! I don't want any further delays!)

Right now, my first purchase is going to be a BED! I currently have my G'mas old twin bed that's hard as a rock, with an air mattress on it that has popped in 2 places leaving 2 odd lumps to try and sleep on (NOT comfy at all), and it leaks so I have to add air every other night. I've tried memory foam & feather toppers & nothing helps, so I'm going to get a full sized decent bed-hopefully that will help my sleeping problems! The only other thing I plan to buy is a reliable, inexpensive vehicle that is an automatic and not so low to the ground as my Saturn-it's a stick and my left leg makes it nearly impossible for me to push the clutch in, plus being so low is very hard to get in & out of. The rest of the money will be used to pay 3 bills I owe & then in the bank where I wont be touching it unless absolutely necessary! I dont EVER want to depend on ANYONE to pay my bills again! I hate that feeling!

Again, thank you everyone for your support & congrats...I will still be here for you all as well-hopefully more often as I'm recovering and able to sit at the computer more! You guys/gals are the best-luv ya all! :-D

Happy Easter (for those who celebrate)...He is risen!
  • Best of luck to you. You sound like you have got a great game plan in place. Finish up your schooling. I have been putting my wife through school the last 4 years. First Medical Assistant, then EMT, finally on April 1 she passes her Paramedic exam. Now she wants to go to RN-- does it ever stop LOL
  • I Have not checked in with you for awhile because I thought that you would know on 4/8. I told you that I had a good feeling about it. I am so very happy for you! CONGRATULATIONS!
  • You might want to go ahead and call SS with new bank acct info. They screwed up on mine and sent me a debit card with the $ on it. I got it straight but it was a pain.
  • Still nothing in writing-I'm kind of nervous but I know my atty wouldn't have lied to me about it. I think I'll call his office tomorrow & see if anything has been mailed, or if they can have him call me from the hotel (I know where he's staying, but I don't want to just show up unannounced). The hearing was supposed to be Thursday at 10:30-I'm afraid that something is going to go horribly wrong if I dont see this in writing before then, and I don't show up (like I said-still skeptical, hard not to be!).

Thanks for the tip on the bank info too JJ-I will call the SSA tomorrow (or should I say later today) with that info! In fact, perhaps I'll call them first-I'm sure they would know about the Judge ruling already & can just reassure me that I dont have to be at the hearing like my atty said.

I'll continue to keep you posted everyone...I've sure made a lot of great friends here at SH! I look forward to being of assistance to others 'from the other side' (ie: post-recovery/in my 'new life') for many years to come! :-)

All the best!
  • Tanya - CONGRATULATIONS! FINALLY! What a ride you've been on...

Just one quick question - if you have a Social Security Disability claim, your kids should each be eligible for payments including back pay. It does not matter if they live with you or not; they are eligible. If your claim is the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) only, then they are not eligible.

Hey, every little bit helps. I'm just glad you were finally approved. Congratulations again!