Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Joint Pain - 6 months post op

Sweetrobs2SSweetrobs2 Posts: 48
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all,
Oct 7 2009 I had an anterior corpectomy with fusion and a posterior laminectomy with instrumentation C4-T2. My recovery went extremely well and I have excellent ROM! A problem began occurring about 1 month ago. I suddenly had severe pain in my right index finger which I never had before. It went away on it's own in a few days, then I began having pain in my elbow. First the left then the right. I will go a few days without pain anywhere, and I was pain free for about 3 months before this started happening, then without my activity changing, I will suddenly have pain in my fingers or elbows or shoulders. Currently I am experiencing severe pain in my middle fingers on both my hands. I cannot straighten these fingers nor bend them, and today I woke up with pain in my left arm with the continuing pain in the fingers. Friends and family are guessing its arthritis, but I never experienced this problem before why would it be flairing up now? Before the surgery I did not have pain in any of my fingers except my left index finger and left pinky. Anyone experience symptoms like these 5 - 6 months after surgery? I see my NS for a follow-up on April 5th but I am curious to know if anyone else has had the same issue.

• Hi rob,

That is excellent that you did so well following surgery. My first question would be did all those levels fuse? Look at the dermatone map and you can see what levels effect what part of the spine. Now as your pinky goes it could be something totally different like ulner nerve issue at the elbow. One of the biggest things you could look at is how you are using a computer? Be sure you have it setup ergonomically correct. But I think they will need to look at the fusion and the hardware to be sure everything is setup correctly. It is my experience that what sets of the nerve pain usually happened hours before I actually feel it. Try making a journal of what you did in that day and see if you can find a pattern that is causing the issues. If your fusion looks good the doctor may want a bone scan to see about arthritis. Good luck on the appointment this week and keep us posted how it goes. Take care.
  • Tamtam is right - the surgeon will need to check your progress. However keep an open mind and don't try to diagnose yourself. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy when we team up with the internet to decide what is going on. It's easy to dismiss certain symptoms that don't fit what google says is wrong with you.

I know you have gone to the doc already. What did he think?