Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Week 8 Update- post op MRI.

scmgurusscmguru Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Done w/ 1st week of PT..

PT was concerned that my range of motion was really limited, even as a post op patient..

My pain level is creeping back up to where it was pre-op.

She was concerned, so I had my 1st post op MRI...

I'm waiting for the radiology report on it..

• Yep, I'm sure enough an 'arm-chair' reader, if that, so put ZERO stock in my observation! But, since you asked, I wonder if that's a herniation at the posterior of the L5-S1 disc? What surgery did you have? There's such a pronounced difference in the pre-op vs. post op images! What's going on with the muscle and thoracolumbar fascia looking knotted up in the post op image?

I know I'm showing my ignorance by even answering this post, but this stuff is fascinating to me. Thanks for posting the images and allowing amateur commentary!

• Aaron,

Thanks for the notes..

Surgery-L5 S1 Micro D w/ Bilateral Foraminotomies.

Pre surgery, I had a 5mm central/left paracentral broad based bulge.
  • Honestly, it looks like your surgery has not fully resolved the herniation, as if you have either reherniated or there's a bucketload of scar tissue build-up. L5-S1 disc looks to be pushing up on your nerve, though not as pronounced as before.

I've had the exact same surgery TWICE. First time, I had another MRI done and it's kinda freaky how the 2 of ours look alike.

Best of luck!

• definitely looks like theres some nerve compression, however not a whole lot. The radiologist should have asked for your pre op MRI and they usually make a comparison report. If you have it just look at it to see how must that herniation has been taken out.

My doctor told me he likes open discectomy because it allows him to make sure he gets all of the fragments. Idc about scar size I just wanted to be better so I agreed. Anyway good luck see what the NS says.

If it makes you feel any better all your discs look phenomenal compared to mine and im only 23 haha
  • Please note that Spine Health does not endorse members interpreting any imaging studies for other members.

Please wait to get a professional interpretation of your films from your doctor.