Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WramblerWWrambler Posts: 1,588
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Matters of the Heart
I lost my buddy today.
It will be a long time before we get over this one
June 20, 1998 - April 02, 2010
Best dog I ever had the pleasure of spending time with.
We stayed till the end.
He just laid his head down and went to sleep.

You always know they won't last, but you never get to keep them long enough.
He was so confused when he couldn't get up this morning.
We are just heart broken...and the tears just won't stop coming.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    I've always been a dog lover and had to put three to sleep due to old age and/or medical problems. It was never easy.

My sympathy to you and your family. I think that the way he went was probably the best way I could think of.
    Him, by your side to comfort him and let him know everything was ok. And then for him to realize it was his time and peacefully passed away.

As I am writing this, my eyes are filling up, because I can really understand how you feel.

My buddy, Lollie, we put her to sleep back in January of 2009.. I still miss her, but knew it was her time.

Take care, I know this can not be an easy time
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Oh, I am so Sorry for your loss. Truer words were never spoken. "You never get to keep them long enough."

It is so hard I truly know. For there is absolutely nothing as loyal and loving as your best friend-your dog. They know no other way to be. It just would never occur to them to be anything different.

I know how devastated you must be. Please be kind to yourselves.

My thoughts and prayers go with you.
  • So sorry for your loss.

• I am sitting here sobbing at your loss. From our messages back and forth I felt I knew your Chewy.(Mine and Marks dog sent messages to each other) It hurts Mark and it takes a loooong time to get over loosing a beloved member of the family. It was a year before I was ready to get another best friend after my beloved pet passed away. Well meaning friends offered me other dogs but I did not want another dog......I wanted my beloved Minute Maid back! I would sit beside her grave weeping for weeks.I am weeping for Chewy.
    Pepper sends some sad tail wags.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am so sorry to here the news, a very sad time for you and your family

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Wrambler. It feels like a piece of you is missing when you lose your beloved pet.
    It will take some time to heal and you'll never forget Chewy, but he's up there in puppy heaven that's got fire hydrants everywhere, butterflies to chase and prime rib steak for every meal!
    My thoughts are with you and your family.
  • My heart goes out to you and your family.

I've got the waterworks going over here, as well.

I know you will cherish the memories... and your dog does too.

You have my sympathies,

• He's at Rainbow Bridge now and he's got so many friends to play with now. He can run now without any pain! He lives in your heart now. Sorry for your loss I sill dream about my beloved pet and she's very happy! Please take care and remember the good times. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am very sorry for the loss of your dear friend Chewbaka. Please know that he is with many other wonderful friends and will be there waiting just across the Rainbow Bridge.

• I am so sorry. It is tough and something that stays with you for a long time. I get teared up reading your post as well.

Thank you for loving him and giving him a great life. And for being there with him in the end and helping end his pain.

All the money or Medical Technology in the world cannot keep them with us when it is time for them to say goodbye.

I had the toughest time letting go of our 10 year old Lab, Sarah. I can still remember her last 2 days with us and what brought us to the decision. Whenever I was hurting really bad I would ask myself "Would you want her back the way she was?"
    The answer was "no" and it brought me some Peace about having to make that decision for her.
  • It is the hardest thing in life to lose someone you love be it a pet a friend or a family member. And in my book they are all in the same category there is nothing that singles them out, they are your friend, and your family member. That is what makes a pet so special and unique and they do not discriminate against you, they love you unconditionally no matter what. I am glad you got to be with your chewbaka and I am very sorry for your loss.

• Wrambler,

So sorry for your loss. My dogs and cats are my "kids", and when I've lost one over the years, it burns a sad hole in me and my hubbies heart. Comforting *HUGZ* to you and your family. Condolences on your loss.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • So sorry for your loss. I loss my little wiener dog a few weeks ago. It is so hard to deal with, as they are members of your family. Take Care, Robin
  • sorry for the loss
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• My Mum is still weeping at the loss of your Chewy. I know you loved your Chewy as much as my Mom loves me.
    I will miss sending messages to hem.

• I'm so very sorry Wrambler, it's heartbreaking when you need to make this diffiuclt decision. Rest in peace Chewy and give my Styxie a big kiss when she meets you at the bridge.

• It has been a long day. It is very hard to not miss 110lb dog.
    We knew he was in trouble, but had just started steroid shots and the vet said if they did not work by Monday-Tuesday to call him and we'd add oral steriods to the mix. Yeah it was the last ditch effort. He had the injection on Tuesday and was ever so slightly better of Wednesday, but by Thursday he could not walk hardly at all and only if we got him up. Thursday night we left him spend the night in his favorite spot, but at sometime he had to go during the night so he drug himself off the porch, but could not stand, so he was a mess when we found him in the morning.
    Crying and sobbing we cleaned him up knowing there was no real chance we could save him. We called our oldest son and told him to come home and say goodbye.

The heart wrenching part is when we had enough of his morning medicine in him he really tried to get to the basement, where he spent his days. We had to guide him to the car he always rode in and let him take that one last ride.

The Vet answered every possible what if question I could ask. Then we agreed it was time. He was such a good boy, he gave a slight growl when they held his front leg to find the vein, I just kept telling him what a good boy he was and it would all be over soon.

Once the injection was done he only stayed with us about 5-10 seconds. not a sound, not a twitch. he slowly laid his head down and was gone. The memory is so peaceful and so haunting all at the same time.
    I saw tears in the vets eyes and the nurse who helped steady him for that last injection. Those are good people.

Today, I have tried to move on. It is very, very tough to do things. Everywhere I look I see something that reminds me of him. I so, so much want him back the way he used to be. I know we could not keep him the way he was. his eyes were haunting the last few hours, you could see the confusion and the help me in his eyes. I so desperately do not want to see that again.

I could not stop petting him, even after he was gone. I finally had to drag myself away. Oh I am probably making some people sad, I hope I can help a few who have not yet done this. He did not suffer, he did not so much as whimper once the injection was done. It was all so peaceful, the hard part is us letting go. We did not bring him home, he will be cremated and we will take his ashes to the lake where he loved to swim.

I must be somewhat better, I made it threw this post without losing it.
  • I got to admit to a little bit of improvement today. I am ever so slowly coming to terms with my loss. I keep trying to remember, he was hurting and crippled, he could not have possibly understood what was going on and we could not tell him. It was our duty as "masters" to release him from his pain.

I know now that the fun dog memories need to be allowed to push out the pain, so I am trying to see those days. The tug of wars, the brutal head butt he could do to you when he was playing and got to close. Him crawling on the couch like 100lbs of lap dog. His picture perfect method of eating a baby ice cream cone at DQ! He would lick it till the lce cream was gone then eat the cone bite, by bite, just like most people do! When we walked him on the rail trail and a bike was coming we would steer him off the trail, but he would stop when his head off the trail! sideways! he thought he was clear, we would have to shove the back half over to clear the trail!

He loved to chase rocks thrown into the water and would chase them and swim for hours, we had to take turns as it wore us out! He would find a rock under water and dig it loose with his paws, barking at it till he got it free, then bring it to us to throw away! all so he could chase it.

Those are the days all of us pet "owners" need to remember. It takes time, I am going to give it time.
  • I am so sorry for your loss. A few months back I had to put our Ruby to sleep (my husband couldn't handle it, emotionally) and I also stayed with her long after she was gone, I did the same with my sweet Cali, the greatest cat I have ever met.

I feel better staying with them as they go to their new place in "Animal Heaven".

As your sadness and grief slowly wane, happy memories will fill their place, but it takes time.

My condolences to you and your family for your loss,

• Ahhh..Wrambler,

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this experience with us. What a lovely friend you had there.

Please continue to share the memories as they come to you. You make me cry. Happy and sad tears all at the same time.

• I'm sorry I missed this post until now, but I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm sitting here crying as you describe your beloved Chewy. I lost my best little buddy Mercster last year and when I hear you talk about Chewy, I relive my time with my little boy.

It's amazing how much space they take up in your heart and how empty the house feels when they're gone. When it was time to let go of my little boy, he had collapsed and I rushed him to the hospital. That evening and the next morning, he was so out of it (not meds, a stroke we think) that he didn't know I was even there. So we knew it was time. I came back in the afternoon to put him to sleep and he opened his eyes and looked at me and as I stroked the side of his face, he put his paw on my arm. My boy was able to give me a hug before he left and I'll never forget that face and his arm on mine.

Oh, the flood gates are wide open now. My heart is with you, I so know how difficult it is. Now I have another little one, Wally, who counts on me and I'm grateful that he's only a year old, because when his time comes, I may not make it through another one.

Take care, Wrambler and I'm sending you big, big hugs. And maybe Merc is showing him around the rainbow bridge and that they're playing together. If there's truly a heaven, they'll be waiting for us when we get there.

• I am so sorry about Chewbaka. That picture of him along with your post just tore my heart out. I am so sorry for your loss and heartbreak. I know you loved him dearly and made his life happy and fulfilling. Hugs, Meydey
  • Oh, Wrambler, Just found this post -- my heart goes out to you -- All I can say is dog is God spelled backwards -- I truly believe that our beloved pets are little ambassadors from heaven as they bring us gifts of joy, love, peace and serenity by their presence in our lives.

Chewy's got his angel wings now and will watching over you and your family from above.

Hugs to you -- so sorry for your loss.

• Sorry for your loss. My lap dogs are thm only things that take my mind off my pain most'of the time. Thiy will come up kn my lap and lau their heads on my chest for me to rub. I zone out on loving them.
  • Some days just hurt, others are really bad.
    My wife was so upset Thursday night she asked him to please go as she could not bear to have him put to sleep. Now, she feels guilty about saying that to him.
    I'm trying to help her get past that, I had asked and prayed that he would simply go to sleep and not wake up.
    Typical Husband /wife combo, Thursday night, we both knew it was over. Neither of us could bear to admit it to the other. I went in the house, cried and hid it from here when I came out. She waited till after I had gone to bed that night to do her crying and praying.
    My one true regret is not spending the night with him. I guess I could not admit, even to myself that it was truly the end.
    She was a basketcase when I got up Friday.
    We talked some more today, I told here I know how she feels and that chewy could not have possibly understood what she askded, besides, he would never have stayed mad at her for more that a single minute.

I was so bad at times on Friday, I wished I had gone with him so he would not be alone. Then I realized that his mother will be there waiting for him. Mothers don't forget their babies.

Oh, the good times, he would run through the house with a biscuit in his mouth, growling, if you did not know him you would swear he was about to tear you apart, but when you caught him, he would drop the biscuit so you could toss it across the room and begin the chase all over!

He played tug so violently you would swear your arm was going to come out of the socket.

He always ran like a bunny rabbit, too, that was funny to watch. Sort of like a horse at a trot one rear leg slightly ahead of the other both pretty much in the air at the same time.

When he was a baby we crate trained him, but he outgrew the crate and we did not have any extra money at that time to get a larger crate. He was afraid of thunder storms so he would crawl his front half into the crate and lay there with his entire back half sticking out!

The year we had locusts he was young and would eat them by the dozens, ewe, talk about some strange colored droppings, all orange and black, more like his own little modern art works than, well, you know.

I swore when he was gone I would not have another, but the house is so empty. We have to wait and heal first. Partly because there is no one home almost the entire day and evening. Days like today, The last one leaves the house at 8:15, the first one back won't be there till after 7:00, much too long a span to leave a poor little puppy alone.

Maybe come June we will have time and be ready.
    My son wants to at least foster a pound puppy, so we may do that, fully realizing the puppy will likely never leave.

I found something to take my mind off my back and shoulder, truly know the difference between emotional and physical pain too.

Deep breaths and try to keep busy. I also have to be very careful as I find myself pretty distracted most of the time.
  • I have found that after the loss of a family member like this, that when the time is right, the next one finds a way to enter your life. It just happens. It is how things are meant to be. Even when you don't "think" you're ready, if the time is right, it happens.

Hang in there my friend,

• Sorry to hear about your dog,you take care.....
  • So sorry to hear you lost your buddy. I definitely sympathize. Take care and hang in there.
  • thank goodness for memories! :X they will be your best friend besides the many pictures you have of chewy!! the pictures in your mind and heart will last you the rest of your life. all the best in these sad days! Jenny :)
  • I expect another sad day soon. We arrived home last night to a message that his ashes are back. I expect that to be somewhat emotional in its own right.

Without the ashes we could not take him back to the lake he loved so much. Way to rocky to bury him there.

I wanted him to have a place of honor on the mantle with perhaps a picture. My wife wants to scatter his ashes on the water for one last swim. I'm not sure I want him all the way gone. Does that sound greedy or stupid? We may do both and save some ashes and scatter the rest.

I'm really having a bad back pain day and much to distracted by all of this. It's one of those days you just want to pick up and go home. Plus I have overtime tonight to rub salt in the wound.

I am already at the place that when I see dogs or puppies I want one. It is still the wrong time, but I want one. I really want another airedale though I expect we will not see another Chewy we will get another unique experience and a friend for years to come. We have to await until at least June.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts.