Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sparkledct -home1 day post acdf

sparkledctssparkledct Posts: 120
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Pardon in advace any typings/spelling errors. Just arrived back home from the hospital. Had a rough firstday after having an alergic reaction to the post op pain meds.They changed me to morphine so that was good but I still itch like crazy women. All in all I think I did pretty good surgeon said there was nothing left of the disc at all and was surprise I was not in a ton more pain. So itwas really good that I went through with it.
REALLY tired, did not sleep more than 30 minutes at a time. Swallowing the pills was tough today. Tried to eat a baked potato with NO luck, felt like I could not breathe. But am home and so happy to be. To all my special friends thank you so much for the prayers I know they helped. I hope you are all doing as well as you can.'

• Hi Melissa,I'm glad to hear everything went well for you and you are on the road to recovery.Behave yourself and take it very easy.Do everything the doc instructed you too.Again I'm so very happy for you!!
    Peace and Love
  • Good to hear you've made it through and back home so soon. Try to eat yogurt, pudding and ensure and applesauce and popsicles. I hope you continue to heal with as little discomfort as possible. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • So happy that you are home and got thru this ordeal with flying colors. Sounds like you are doing very well. Do whatever the Dr. says!!!

I have 5 days to go and then I'll also be on the other side of this.

Take good care.....Marsha
  • Well done Melissa! Great to hear that you are home again so quickly. Now to have to concentrate on recovering. Get plenty of rest and let others look after you. Hope that your pain is being well controlled and that you can swallow comfortably soon.

Take care and let the healing begin
  • Hi Melissa,

I am glad to see you home and posting!! Try some benadryl, helps sleep and itching :)

Best Wishes for a Speedy Recovery,
  • woo hoo, You did it! Yay! I am so happy for you! god carried you thru and you are home! I am sooo happy!

Today is truly Good Friday!! Easter is in a couple of days, I know eating and swallowing are hard. FYI, Peeps melt in your mouth!! :-) So happy and I haven't smiled much lately but I am now! WooHoo!

gentle, gentle hugs!! xxxxx shari
  • So glad to hear you are home safe...... ;)
  • Welcome to the other side and I hope now you can start to feel better. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and get lots of rest.

When you are up to it, try to take some short walks. It helps to start moving around. Hopefully, the throat will settle down quickly.

Did your surgeon used glue instead of stitches for the incision? Mine used glue which allowed me to take my first shower three days after the surgery.
  • Wow...you are amazing me that you posted so quickly after such surgery. I'm super glad everything went well. Now is time for you to take care of you.

Get rest. Congrats on making it over to the recovery side!
  • I am so glad to hear your surgery went well and you are home now. Be sure and take your recovery nice and easy and don't push yourself. Wishing you the best!

• Melissa,

So glad to hear you are home. I remember the itching very very well!! This will pass as you get off the narcotics. Try the benadryl. Lynette
  • Amazing news. To be home after one day is amazing. I was in the hospital for three days. It's great, that an awesome first sign. You are already on the right track. As the other posters say, stick with the doc advice and don't force yourself to do stuff..REST..REST and more REST. and please feel free to ask us any questions. we all have our unique experience and collectively are here for you. Will continue to pray for your recovery..

Again, rest and more rest..:)

• Hoping that you had a restful night. These first days are likely to be the roughest, but things will get easier. Be a patient patient and get plenty of rest to allow your body to heal.

So glad that you are over surgery now and it sounds like it went well
    Have a peaceful Easter at home with your children
  • Terrific that your surgery went well and that you're home so early. Keep resting and you'll find the soft foods easier.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • In the past few days I have thought about you and kept looking for an update from you or about you. I was just going through the posts and there it was! I didn't see it after I got home from the hospital and I was getting worried! I am so happy you posted! I can't believe you were home so soon. I bet you were happy and I bet your kids were too. Take care of yourself and I will talk to you soon!

• Hey everyone. The day I posted last my computer crashed and I lost everything. Just now got it back so I wanted to come on and post real quick. I am doing as well as can be expected. Have had the common ACDF issues (shoulders, swallowing, bathroom problems) but am working through them as they come. It is true you mostly just want to sleep. By Monday after the surgery I but my pain peds in 1/2 and have not looked back. I know I will still have a couple hard days but think I am through the worst of it. I could not have done it without you. It will take me a few days to catch up with everyone but please know you all mean the world to me and I am thankful everyday I found you before my big day for support. The other side really is a better place, for all of you not there yet remember that!!!

Will post more once I get a nap lol..

Love Melissa
  • So good to hear from you again and great to hear how well you are doing.
    Make sure you get plenty of rest and let your children spoil you.

Take care and keep healing :-)
  • The other side is a much better place, isn't it! All that anticipation! :-)

It sounds like you are doing great! Just remember to take it slow, let your mom and kids love on you, walk, rest, rest and walk!

Keep in touch and so good to hear from you as I've been thinking of you! Gentle hugs xxxxx Shari