Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally home to rest...Updated 2 weeks post op...

prdmomof2pprdmomof2 Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Surgery went well on Friday...I just got home from the hospital and now I am ready to do what I need to do with the road to recovery. I am still in alot of pain which they couldn't control it after they took me off the pump yesterday morning. But they tried different meds. and we have it under control now. Saturday morning, I got up and went to the bathroom with PT and walked the whole surgical floor. They were amazed, and I was too. I was still on clear liquid diet as of this morning because the nurse forgot to put in a regular diet since I was able to go to the bathroom right away yesterday...but it's all good, not ready to eat a bunch yet...I guess surgery was only about an 45 minutes long...he said it went much faster and better than he thought it would...I have screws and a plate and he cleaned up the disc and I should be all good. I am so glad to be on the other side since the wait was so difficult and stressful. I am getting around really good and my kids had my bed ready for me downstairs and they are giving me tons of love and support. Thanks everyone for their prayers and support!! Marsha it's your turn! Good luck and I hope everything is ok with your mom...

• Excellent news. You have a fast surgeon.

Have a wonderful Easter and just remember to walk and rest...and then rest and walk. That's all you need to be doing for the next several weeks.

• It sounds like you are doing very well. Welcome to this side of the Spiney Club.
    Wishing you a very Happy Easter and a speedy and ncomplicated recovery.
    So good to hear from you.
    Now relax and allow your body to heal
  • Welcome home! So glad to hear how well your surgery experience went. Let your children pamper you with love and support...it's great medicine.

Rest up, then walk some, then rest up some more!
  • So happy that everything went so well. Happy Easter at home with your family.

I guess I'm next on the list..I leave for Florida in a few hours so I'll be off line for awhile.

Thanks for the good wishes. My Mom probably will be out of the hospital tomorrow and my brother and I will take her to a rehab center for a few weeks till she get used to her new life.

Take care everyone..... >:D< Marsha
  • Good to see you back home recovering. It sounds like your children are a great help. Best wishes for your healing. Take care Charry

Marsha - I will say a prayer today for you as you're leaving for Florida. Write when you're able. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Congrats Tamara! So glad to hear that your surgery went well, was fast and your hopsital stay was uncomplicated and quick!! That is fantastic!

Hopefully the anticipation was much worse than the surgery.

Welcome to the other side! Relax and rest. Enjoy the beautiful spring weather while you walk, taking the time to smell the flowers! Without bending of course! Ha :)

So happy for you! Shari
  • Wow sounds like you are doing great! Keep walking and resting and let the kids spoil you, you know you do it all year. It's your turn. Take Care, Robin
  • Hi Tamara,

Welcome home and I wish you a speedy recovery :)

• hi tamera
    so glad everything went good for you,and wish you a speedy recovery
    i see you have fibro..when your up to it would love to know any tips you have..
    wish you the best
    so great you have support of family it so helps
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • I bet it's so good to be home and being spoilt by your children - take advantage of it while you can !! Good to hear from you so soon.

I had an ALIF on L4-5 and my surgery was uncomplicated and wasn't too long either.

Terrific that you were up walking so soon and well - I did too and was amazed.

Once my stitches had dissolved, I started putting Bio-oil on the scar and I'm thrilled because it's so fine except for one little bit near my belly button, and that's not too bad.

Keep up with the resting and walking and if you were given any light stretches in the hospital, do them too.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I am doing okay today...can't say that I slept much last night. I sleep for about 2 hours at a time and get up and move around. I have been walking. My hubby is home with me while the kids are at school so I have lots of help. They make sure I don't do something I am not suppose to do. My parents brought over Easter Dinner yesterday. I was so excited to have home cooked food! I am managing the pain ok and my hubby will remind me if I sleep through the time to take it...as everyone has said on here...take it on time. I know how it feels going over the time to take it, a nurse let me go 3 hrs over the time and it took an hr and a half to get it under control again. I am so happy for all the welcomes, prayers and great advice from everyone and I will keep updating...Thanks, Tamara
  • Tamara! You are so remarkable! As I read your posts, I had to remind myself that you are only 3 days post op!! WooHoo! You are doing great! Just remember to rest and walk, walk and rest and take your meds regularly and timely. I too had my hubby setting a timer to remind me.

You are a couple of weeks ahead of where I was at your stage :) It inspires me and makes me smile to read your posts. I look forard to it!

I hope you have a restful and pain managed day today. Be sure to resist the urge to do too much!

Gentle hugs and cheers from the cheering gallory! Shari
  • We're cheering you on Tamara
    Sounds like you are doing very well and have a great support team
    Keep up the great healing and I hope that you manage to sleep better tonight
  • Tamara,

Glad to hear you are home. hope you have good weather where you are to get outside cuz that helps alot! Kepp us posted on your progress. Lynette
  • trishdownunder said:
    I bet it's so good to be home and being spoilt by your children - take advantage of it while you can !! Good to hear from you so soon.

I had an ALIF on L4-5 and my surgery was uncomplicated and wasn't too long either.

Terrific that you were up walking so soon and well - I did too and was amazed.

Once my stitches had dissolved, I started putting Bio-oil on the scar and I'm thrilled because it's so fine except for one little bit near my belly button, and that's not too bad.

Keep up with the resting and walking and if you were given any light stretches in the hospital, do them too.

What is Bio-oil?

Thanks, David
  • It was an amazing day to get my walks in. As the evening came on it got really windy. Tomorrow is suppose to be 76 so it will be another pretty day till we get the rain or cool front. But I didn't want to go inside. I loved the fresh air and seeing all of the flowers. I am hoping tonight I will be able to sleep better. If I don't I will call the doctor to see if I can get something for sleep. I don't even remember everything they gave me at the hospital because they had to try different meds to help with the pain and muscle spasms. I was sent home with Norcos and Flexeril. I did rest alot today, but didn't sleep when I would lay down. So maybe I will sleep more tonight. Thanks for the cheer girls! I am glad I can come to this website and get the online support with my at home support. And I am very glad I went through with the surgery because there were a few moments where I didn't want to go through with it. I didn't think I was ready to commit to everything that came along with it. I did kind of cheat on the shower thing...I know I am a bad girl, but they say no shower for 2 weeks..only sponge bath. My hubby took a trash bag and taped (yeah,duct tape)it around my tummy over the whole incision area. I stood back facing the shower head so I didn't get the front wet at all. But I really needed a shower because I felt nasty! The gauze and tape all stayed dry and when we got done he changed my dressing and it looked really good. Only 28 staples! But it has been really warm and I just had to do it! LOL Well, I wasn't really wanting to make it such a long update, but I did ramble on...It's time for me to get ready for bed and hope I can sleep! :) Shari, I have been thinking about you as well and hope you are able to rest and keep healing! Thanks!
    P.S. I can't believe how much water I have drank! I don't like water from the faucet, but I drink lots of it now!
    Good Night!
  • Hi David

Bio-oil is a skincare product especially for scars, stretch marks, etc. It needs to be applied twice daily for three months. It's a natural product and it has PurCellin oil in it. I think it's an American product as the bottle says it's distributed here (Australia) by ...... It's worth doing a Google search.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
  • At such an early stage in your recovery, it's wonderful to read your encouraging posts. Isn't it good that the weather is nice now. I'm in Oz and it's Autumn (Fall) and the days are so beautiful.

When I was in the hospital, I had showers, and also at home straight away. I had a waterproof dressing and was given several to take home with me. They kept the wound dry. Doctors have different post-op protocols and it was good that your hubby taped you up with a trash bag so that you could feel "human" again.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
  • Today is 2 weeks post op and I have had some good and bad days. After I got home from the hospital pain wasn't too bad and I walked and sat up and managed well. This last week has been the worst. I have had so much pain, throbbing pain in the area he worked on and the meds I am on has not helped. I have talked to the nurse a couple of times and they changed the muscle relaxer and said this pain is normal and pain will be worse after surgery. I go Monday the 19th to my PM dr and my surgeon (2 wk post op appt.), so hoping I will get some relief. I didn't know there would be such bad gas pain. I know everything is traumatized in there, but I wasn't aware it would hurt worse than the surgery pain itself. The gas pain is what I had to deal with a week post op. So I took alot of gas x.

I sleep about 3 hrs. a night and an hour or two during the day. But the last two days have been to the point I can't lay down for long or sit. The incision is healing good. The staples had some drainage(normal)and now they look really good. It looks like there is a softball on that side of my stomach though.

I have been a good girl too! I don't even have to ask the kids to things around the house and my daughter(14 yrs.)has kept up with the laundry. At first it was hard for me to ask them to do stuff for me and they just ask me what needs to be done. My daughter gets my bed ready every night before bed. I have found it easier to sleep on a sleeping bag so it's easier to roll out. I have about 7 pillows in bed with me.

I love that my 16 yr. old son can drive...if I need my meds. or even if I have a grocery list, he will drive my daughter to the store. So that way when my hubby gets home from a 10 hr. day at work, it doesn't all fall on him.

Well, that is how I have been since my surgery 2 weeks ago...I should be hearing from my nurse today so I don't have to suffer all weekend, but it takes 2-3 days to hear back when you put a message in to her. So Monday there will be relief, I hope! Hope everyone is doing well with their recovery and I hope to keep you posted more often :) Tamara
  • Hey Tamara! I have been thinking of you and wondering how you are doing. I'm so sorry you have been in pain. 2 weeks is so early in the process of recovery. My fusion was both anterior and posterior, and I too had a lot of pain with gas (and all aspect of digestion). It does get better. You could try eating yogurt to help establish the positive bacteria in your GI trac, may also help with gas.

Have you been able to walk outside? I really felt like walking distances helped the gas and digestions. I often felt better when I finished walking than when I started.

What a blessing it is to have children who are willing to help you out with a positive and loving attitude! :) A true reflection of your parenting and guidance!

I hope that your appointments next week go smoothly for you and you are able to get some pain relief. Hopefully soon you'll be able to sleep a bit more!

Take care! Gentle hugs xxxx Shari
  • Hey Shari! Yeah, walking is my number one priority. I walk 3-5 times per day just to get out of the house. Walking is alot easier these days.

I just can't believe the pain is still so bad, since I wasn't in this much pain when I came home from the hospital. We will see what the doctors say Monday.

Have a good weekend and thanks for the advice and support Shari! BTW...I hope you are doing well also!

• prdmomof2 said:
    Hey Shari! Yeah, walking is my number one priority. I walk 3-5 times per day just to get out of the house. Walking is alot easier these days.

I just can't believe the pain is still so bad, since I wasn't in this much pain when I came home from the hospital. We will see what the doctors say Monday.

Have a good weekend and thanks for the advice and support Shari! BTW...I hope you are doing well also!

I was told there is a major muscle sheaf that encloses a big muscle just in front of the spine. My surgeon said it had to be opened up in order to move the muscle aside to get to the spine. My surgery was a little higher up, L3-L4 so the mechanics of it may of been slightly different. I was told to expect some pretty strong pain until this sheaf heals its self. I did feel this and it lasted 3 weeks before it started to get better. Once it did it got better very quickly unless I slightly bent or twisted which happens even though you try not to. Keep in mind that all your intestional track was moved aside during your operation and that it takes a while before the anger settles down. I did have gas but I didn't get a lot of pain from it. I also didn't eat very much for the first 3 weeks after the surgery but when I ate it was usually yogurt. We all heal differently so keep up the walking and maybe try some yogurt. Hope sent your way for feeling less pain.

• It sounds like your kids are being great. That is so helpful. I know mine are also helping me out with everything. They are older, and are taking their turn in cooking meals too.

I hope that you get some help with the pain you are in, and that it settles down very soon.

Doesn't it feel great to be over the surgery? Wonderful relief!

Take care and keep healing
  • sorry to hear you are having so much gas pain. I know my bowels were real touchy for the first few weeks. Hopefully will be getting better for you soon. Lynette
  • Thanks Jellyhall, Lynette, and David!

David- you know that explains why I feel like I have massive cramps all of the time. They changed my muscle relaxer last week, because the one they sent me home on didn't seem to help. That one was called Flexeril. They changed it to Zanaflex at bedtime and I can't feel any difference. Where my incision is and to the left it is bigger than a softball. Did you have this swelling also? It's pretty tight and I am sure it's from all of the moving around in there and everything else. The reason why I ask is because last week the swelling went down and started swelling again Monday. If the nurse would ever get back to me...I could ask her about that too. I was wanting to ask her if it was normal to have blood in my stool too. It's regular blood color so it's not the black color. I have been regular for the last week and 2 days ago, I started having loose stools and today was normal, but with blood. But I have only gone once today, so I am hoping it doesn't do it again next time.

Jellyhall- My kids have cooked some meals also. The good thing about this time of year is that we grill out almost from the beginning of Spring til Fall. So they have grilled out alot so far. They have also helped with our Beef Jerky business that we do at home. We get our meat, slice it, marinate it and dehydrate it and the kids will help with all of that. I love their ages, it makes times like this much easier.
    Also Jellyhall, to answer your question about if I am glad the surgery is over...yeah, I am glad it's over and I know I have a long recovery ahead of me, but I am ready for it to get easier to deal with. The 1st week I was home, I was doing pretty good. It seems the 2nd week has been harder. I am sure my family is tired of me complaining. They know I hurt, but I am sure it gets old.
    I hope everyone has a great weekend! It has been cooler today here in KS and somewhat rainy. With my RA I can tell when the weather changes about 2 days before. So I am ready for 6 months to pass so I can start my chemo treatments again for my RA. I have to wait due to chances of infections. But I can tell I need it. I am about 5 months behind on it. Okay, I made this a very long post and I am needing to lay down now! LOL Thanks again everyone!
  • prdmomof2 said:
    Did you have this swelling also?

I was swollen up when I came home from the hospital, but not a lot. It took a while to get back to normal, like about a month.

I was wanting to ask her if it was normal to have blood in my stool too.

To me it is not normal to be having something bleeding in your intestinal track. It may be coming from somewhere else but at any rate its not normal. Make sure your surgeon knows about it. Did you have a vascular surgeon open up the front of you? You should have and that surgeon should be made aware that you are bleeding.

Let us know how you make out. Time to be the sqeaky wheel that needs a answer.

• I would definately check about the blood in your stool, especially as it is fresh, red blood.
    Also mention the large swelling by your incision.

Tamara, you have 2 very special kids there! They are a blessing and a real credit to you. Not all children of their ages would be so supportive and willing to help. They obviously really love and value you. Enjoy knowing that :-)

I hope that you have a comfortable weekend and that your appointment on Monday will bring some solutions to your problems.

I know the feeling that we keep going on about our pain and problems to our family.
    We are here to listen to you about all your problems Tamara. We totally understand and sympathise and can even offer useful advice sometimes.

You take care,
    rest and walk
  • David- My surgeon is a Spine Specialist. I am not sure if that is the same as a Vascular Surgeon. Not sure what the difference is...About the bleeding...There isn't any today..so far so good. But I still didn't hear from the nurse yesterday, I will make sure to tell the surgeon on Monday. I know it's not normal, and if there was any today, I was going to go to the ER which is about 40 minutes away. Where I live, the ER here would just send me there anyways...I will keep watching out for it and any other symptoms that are in question.
    Today is a better day with the pain. Didn't sleep that much last night due to the aches and pain in my back, hips and legs, but I feel better. Soon, I will be going on another walk. Took a one earlier to help with the stiffness. It is such a pretty day here, so it makes it very enjoyable going for walks.

Jellyhall-My kids are the best! I am truly blessed. It's so nice to get on here and know that there are people that will listen and have gone through what I have and knowing I am not alone. Thanks for all of the encouraging words Jellyhall and David! I will keep updating and for sure keep you posted after my appointments on Monday.
  • Hi Tamara, thinking of you today and glad the sun is shining on you! That definately makes the day easier to get through!

I also have/had a lot of abdominal swelling. I find it very concerning, but no one else seems to be concerned. In the hospital, it was as if I was 7-8 months pregnant. I had brought big comfy PJ bottoms with me to the hospital, NOTHING fit! :( Not even my brace! :(

They had to modify my brace and when I got home, hubby and daughter had to go out and buy some new PJ's 2 sizes too big. My swelling was also shifted to the left.

At PT during my eval, they measured my girth right along the insicion line, 94 cm, which is 36 inches! I typically wear a size 4!!! It has gone down, and is more on the left than the right. but I still can't get into my "presurgery~cute" clothes.

I find this very depressing. I know it will take time, but it has been 7 weeks.:(

My abdominal insicion is horizontal from just under my navel to my left hip bone. At first, it felt like a speed bump was under it. It is now beginning to be flatter.

I would be sure to let your surgeon know about the blood. Hopefully, it was a one time thing!

Your children sound so sweet and loving. Not often do we get a glimps of our heart that we have poured into them~but this is one of those times! They have a chance to spoil you with their love!:)

I have noticed that my daughter (I was only able to have 1 child) now just initiates helping, empting the dishwasher, taking laundry out of the dryer, etc. It makes my heart so happy!

One of my best friends has RA and is on the chemo med also! I know that can't be easy for you and only adds to the complexitiy of recovery from your fusion! Hang in there! I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! Gentle hugs! xxxx Shari
  • It is hard to wear my brace also, because it puts pressure on the swelling. My incision is to the left of my belly button down...I am glad the swelling isn't where my staples are because they would probably pop. It would't be good. I have lost 16 lbs. since surgery which I am very happy about! Except with the left side being swelled up I look 4-5 months pregnant yet...LOL In the hospital I looked 7 months pregnant also. But I am hoping with the walking and still not having much of an appetite, I can keep it off.

With my RA the chemo seem to really help. I was getting where I could actually do things that I haven't done in 11 years. Then my back got worse and that slowed me down. Hoping to start that chemo up as soon as they will let me. I will be all fixed up! YAY!

Have a good weekend Shari and thanks for the support!