Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

did this happen to anyone of you

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
for the last week or so my skin on my legs are so sore hard for even clothes to touch them, they burn like crazy inside and feel like all my nerve endings are at the top of the skin on both legs. ;aying is the worst pain. anyone experience this or know what might br causeing it? it hurts like hell, my back is all healed up and only slightly sore i wear the bone stimulator 24 hrs a day as was told to do. any info about this would be so welcomed this hurts bad in my legs'

had plif surgery march 8th with tailbone shaved down
and got the c-diff infection in the hospital so i had it rough.

• Hi Deebra,

After my last SX, my right foot/ankle was constantly burning and I couldn't touch the top of my foot along with rt. shin muscle not working. After a few weeks the sensitivity on the top of the foot resolved and the burning is now intermittent with weight bearing. Shin muscle is about 60% back to normal (at 7 months). Sounds like you have some nerve damage that will heal over time. If it persists, you may want to read up on RSD as a possible issue. My doc is checking me out for that now due to the intermittent burning, but I know it is nerve compression related and not a disorder. I'm not a doctor, but I know my body... Anyway, hope this helps.

• As you know, you have had a BIG surgery and the body is traumatized after such a surgery. It actually takes a great deal of physical force to attach some of the hardware that is used in PLIF...something a surgeon is reluctant to mention to a patient.

The nerves do not like any type of manipulation, so naturally they react. Sometimes a nerve reacts more strongly in one person than in another. I think because of all the problems you had in the hospital, your body is probably hyper-sensitive. Almost everyone experiences some nerve pain from the surgery itself.
    In your case, you are having a somewhat extreme reaction, but it is certainly not unheard of.

Buckeye Back already said what I was going to mention. Whenever anyone mentions not being able to stand a sheet across their legs and feet, I immediately think of RSD -- http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/index.html

Oops -- I need to leave for the airport -- I'll finish this later --

• Like said above, check out RSD or sometimes called CRPS. It is also a symptoms of arachnoiditis. Mine appeared 5 weeks postop fusion and Lyrica helped knock down the pain for a while, at least I could have a sheet on my foot.

This could be a temporary thing of inflammation-like Gwennie said, your body has had a major insult. It could end up being something permanent. Please TELL your surgeon. Maybe he might say a short course of meds will help, maybe some desensitizing in PT might help.

It might sound crazy, but sometimes I purposely rub my foot against something to make a different kind of hurt to focus on than the nerve pain. My damage was permanent due to BMP growing on my nerve roots and massive infection and too big of hardware and and and...

Hope yours is just a temporary irritation. Please let us know what your doc says.
  • Thanks for Posting that link Gwennie. It also has some great links itself. Especially the Treatment link. CPRS and Sleep disorders was a great read. Hopefully this can help some spineys address a greater issue than normal recovery pains.

• I have been having nerve pain and skin sensitivity since my surgery. I never experienced it in my calf before. My left calf aches and burns. The skin is very sensitive to the touch. It has improved slowly over time. I am hopeful it will completely resolve soon. It is obviously from surgery. I find if I lay on my left side for any length of time it aggrivates things. Good luck
  • I have something similar, and was told it is called "Meralgia Paresthetica"

It is basically from being on the operating table in the prone position for so long. There is a major artery that runs in front of the hip bones that gets pinched off for hours while in surgery.

I asked my Dr. why they don't have an apparatus in 2010 that would prevent this. He didn't have a good answer, so my wife and I were going to invent one and become rich. After some aggressive googling, there is already such a thing, it's just not used :)