Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9 days post-op

blazerblazer Posts: 785
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
WELL ITS BEEN 9 days since my surgery getting around without the walker tho sometimes still need cane especially to help me stand up. thank god for pain meds tho i dont take them at nite in the morning i really hurt til i have them in me for about 1 hour then by that time they kick in and i feel better. think ill be on them for quite a while.might have to start taking them in middle of nite to control this better. doctor took staples out said everything looked great. so no driving tho til 4/21 thats my next appt. doctor been great when i tell him i need something,ifs its reasonable he writes me a prescription.all things considered i quess everything going as expected and on a realistic time frame best of luck to everyone.

• Glad you are doing so well. Sounds like you are getting around pretty well. Good Luck and keep it up and you will be great in no time! Take care, Robin
  • Sounds like you are doing well.

My recovery is also going very well.
    My lingering problem is my incision!
    It wasn't closed up properly, so I have an area that has an open edge that doesn't seem to be healing. It still looks like a fresh incision after 16 days and is rather pink. I don't have a temperature. I assume it will eventually heal. It is still leaking. Has anyone else had this? And what was the outcome?

Keep healing Blazer
  • Sounds like you're doing well. It's still early days with the pain meds, so don't be in a hurry to reduce them. When I was at the same stage of recovery, I took the meds morning and night.

I didn't drive until 6 weeks. If you feel that you're able to drive by 4/21 then that's fine, but if not, wait until you've healed a bit more.

Keep resting and walking as much as you can.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Blazer--it sounds like you are doing very well considering what you have been through. Remember, it takes time to heal so don't overdo it!

Jellyhall--has your doctor seen the open part of the incision? I had the same thing with my cervical fusion and I had no temperature. It was leaking after the 8 days and when the doctor pressed on it, infection started coming out. He sent me immediately to hospital and he had to reopen and clean it out. I was put on antibiotics orally (for 2 weeks), topically and intraveneously (for one day)to get rid of the infection. I had no idea that it was infected since I had no fever and the drainage that I saw was clear. I don't want to scare you, but just watch it closely.
  • Last Monday, my surgeon took the staples out. I think at first he thought I had an infection but didn't put me on antibiotics so must have decided it was ok.

He did say he wanted to look at it in 2 weeks, so I have an appointment for 1 week's time. It is still leaking and the open area doesn't seem to have got any smaller in the last week.

My husband says that the sides of the incision appear to have not been butted together properly. One side of the Incision is higher than the other and that is the area that is still open.

I'll be so glad for this to heal up so I can remove the dressing as I am having to take antihistimine tablets due to an allergic reaction to the dressing. They have calmed things down. So it is far less itchy now and the blisters are going now.

• I am sorry to hear about your incision. I think I am lucky my surgeon did not use staples. He used disovlable sutures and I have not had any problems at all with my incision. It is still very pink and raised but healing well. I hope yours heals quickly.
  • I am so glad that the surgeon has already seen it. I am just remembering that once when my son had surgery, his wound did the same thing and the surgeon said that wounds heal from the inside out and that is exactly -what his did. No infection--it just stayed leaking a little and slowly healed and now great. I will pray that yours does the same thing and that the itching stops completely!
  • For your encouraging comments.
    Hopefully this will heal soon
    The rest of the incision looks great and is really healing well. I just wish it was all doing as well. I know that other aspects of my healing and recovery are going so well. My pain levels are SO much lower than I was expecting
  • Its so encouraging to hear that pain levels are down! Keep taking care of yourself and your body will continue to heal.