Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

thinking the worse

ileneiilene Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had an ACDF C5-6 in August, but was told to by 2 other surgeons to have 2 and 3 levels. My spine has something going on with almost every level, starting at C2-S1.

My nature is to make less of things, whenever possible and even ignore things when possible. Months ago I noticed changes with my bladder and mentioned it in passing to the neurologist. I made an apt with the urologist, but when they said they didn't have an apt for 2 months I didn't call the neurologist and tell him, I just waited for the apt, hoping that things would get better. At first I even found myself not telling the urologist exactly what was going on, I was underplaying it for him. He gave me a prescription and samples and told me that he was sure medicine would help me. I realized I didn't explain things properly, then I went more into detail, I actually broke down and started to cry. He then gave me a simple test in the office and I'm going to be having a urodynamics test with contrast in a couple of weeks. He told me that I "don't urinate the right way", and that I probably have "nerve" problem, he said I could try the medicine, but that he didn't think it was going to help, and it could make matters worse. I have had a problem with my bladder since 2001, which is why I had lumbar surgery, after that surgery I had to self catherize myself for 3 months, which was difficult for me. I do know that after that I was "urinating correctly", but have a neurogenic bladder since (can't feel).

I am afraid this is coming from my spine, and that they are going to tell me that I waited to long that surgery won't help the bladder, even though they will want me to have more surgery....every which way I think of this I am in a loose loose situation. This on top of my neck hurting so much right now, is not helping anything. Last week I moved the wrong way and pulled something. Since then I can't turn my head to the right, it is visibly swollen. I applied ice immediately, went for acupuncture, had a trigger point injection by the PM doctor, all of which has not helped, I also have pain in my left arm. From holding my neck the wrong way, I think put a strain on my lower back which is hurting quite a bit too.

The reality of the situation is that it was suggested I have fusion of L2-S1, I have marked cord comrpession of T3-4 all in all I have issues at almost every level of my spine.

Do other people think like this? Do others play out situations in their heads? I'm thinking the worse, do others do this too? I go back to the surgeon on April 22, was suppose to go in March, but never made an apointment, and now I keep thinking he is going to tell me that I am having a problem with fusing or with another disc. I usually don't think the worse, but right now that is all I am doing.

• It is difficult not to think the worse. Especially today with the easy access to the Internet and to information and stories from others that can easily paint a gloomy picture.

The important thing is to be up front and discuss things with your doc. Let those trained to "see the signs" help you out and dissuade your fears. Let them help you figure out what is wrong and what is okay.

Our minds can play dirty tricks on us and feed our emotions and fears. Most everyone has an issue or two at more than one level in their spine. Many never have any symptoms that relate back to these problems and they get on with life just fine. Information can be a wonderful thing, but at the same time can haunt us like you would believe.

I also believe in that intuitive voice that we all have. When that voice tells me that something isn't right, I listen to it and get the doc to investigate.

In case surgery is not an option, urinary retention is treatable in other ways fortunately. Here are the most common;

Your doctor may recommend intermittent self-catheterization, a procedure where you insert a catheter into the urinary tract long enough to empty the bladder and then remove it, at regular intervals,

Behavioral Techniques

Some people can reduce their symptoms of urinary retention with lifestyle changes, fluid and diet modification, bladder retraining, Kegel exercises or other kinds of physical therapy.

Your doctor may prescribe medications to help control the symptoms of urinary retention. Some of these medications help the bladder muscle to squeeze better and may improve your ability to urinate.

Neurostimulation sends mild electrical pulses to the nerves that control the bladder and the muscles related to urination. It helps the brain and the nerves to communicate so the bladder can function properly.

Neurostimulation is a reversible treatment that can be discontinued at any time by turning off or removing the device.

*Neurostimulation is not indicated for obstructive urinary retention. Not all forms of non-obstructive urinary retention can be treated with neurostimulation therapy.

• When something major is going on - it seems insane to be told that the doc appt is months away. Not only will it be difficult to wait that long while staying calm...but it may be even *more* difficult to get there...that far into the future.

Mulling it over in your head or online is simply a means of trying to be an informed consumer, in my opinion. *You* know your body better than anyone else...it's just a matter of being able to articulate what you're feeling & what's going on. I've never broken down in front of a doctor...but sometimes, I wish I would. I'm tired of being passed around by doctors...waiting for the next appt...wondering how much info is being passed "with me" & how much I'M responsible to portray. It's exhausting. I feel deeply for you. I just keep telling myself how lucky we *are* to have such access to doctors - since two thirds of the world don't have access.

I *think* I may be babbling and didn't even address your post. But I suppose that's better than not saying anything at all.

The internet *does* help *me* with emotions, in my opinion. I can say, "At least that's not wrong with me" or "My pain level isn't nearly as bad as theirs"..it makes me keep plugging away appreciating what I DO have instead of concentrating on what I DON'T. You can bet your hiney that everytime I PEE ..I consciously think of how awesome it feels to at least PEE normally. I'm NOT kidding. My life is so upside down too. I CAN imagine what you're feeling.

I find your post more than a bit disheartening... because it speaks so loudly to my own fears. Seriously, do you think your doctor changed his stance because you truly didn't explain it right the first time or because you broke down? What *part* did you NOT say the FIRST time? How did you rephrase it to get a better response? Was it even a better response?? I can't tell.

You're doubting yourself as much as I doubt myself - and I always write it on paper before seeing a doc.

• It's been a few weeks since I went to the urologist, I had a urodynamics test, with video. It was a horrible test the first time I had it, right before my lumbar surgery, but must admit it was worse with video. Anyway, it showed some of what I expected, that my bladder is neurogenic, which it's been like since before my lumbar surgery. It also showed that I have pelvic floor dysfunction, which unfortunately I also knew about, but I didn't know that they give valium to help relieve the muscles. I have been pleasently surprised that the valium is helping, I had to double the initial dose that the doctor gave me, but he had said that this was a possiblitly, and since I have doubled it, I really think things are improving, along with my muscle spasams in my neck, and lower back. I hope things continue to improve, and also hope that I am not imagining the improvement...time will tell on all.

It is so true that I think the worse, guess the computer and internet has made me more informed, and able to self diagnose better then I was before. I am in the medical profession, and am able to get onto some sites thru publications, which I find helpful.

Wishing all the best,
  • I'm so glad you are experiencing some improvement! It is always great to hear some good news.