Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cost of lumbar MRI with contrast ??

gwennie17gwennie17 Posts: 3,009
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Does anyone know how much they were billed for the cost of a lumbar MRI with contrast (gadolinium)? I had not met my co-pay for the year when I recently had one, and was really stunned to see what I was charged. I must admit I haven't really paid attention in the past.

If anyone knows how much this procedure costs in your area, I would love to know.

Thanks.

Gwennie
advertisement

Comments

• The last one I had done, with contrast, was in November of 09' and was billed out at $897. They were paid $363 by a HMO insurance plan. Still to high in my book. They also tried to bill $117 to read the films which was not paid. That was a seperate line charge.

David
  • the gestament bill i jist got was 3200 for mri and 823 for the contrast :jawdrop:
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,790
    I asked a few years ago about the difference between a MRI w/ contrast and a stand up MRI w/contrast for work comp insurance because I thought I might have to pay the radiologist co. the difference. the cost was $800 vs. 1,200 for insurance co. at that time. 2005 I think?
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • About 2 years ago I paid $300 cash. (no insurance)
    West L.A. near UCLA.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Gwennie,

I had MRI w/ cont on 8/18/09 my insurance was billed $2350, they paid $951. Leaving me $237 oop. My oop wasn't met at the time either. My insurance year is June 1st - May 31st. I am hoping new PM doc will do all necessary testing ASAP since I have met my out of pocket expenses for the year.

Traci
  • I am surprised at the range of cost for this procedure. Why does it cost 3 times as much in one area compared to another? I am in a pretty expensive area to live in so I would think the amount paid by insurance would be up there. Probably also has to do with the volume.

David
  • Clearly I need to make a couple phone calls tomorrow. The place where I had mine done was $5400. Once they took out the amount discounted for the insurance company, I was left with something around $2400. which still strikes me as high.
  • Geeeeeez Gwennie,

That seems outrageously high. I would be calling as well.

Traci
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,790
    Highway robbery!......INSANE!!!
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Check out some Sports Medicine places if there are any in your area. I know several people who have used them quite frequently to get lumbar MRI's with and without contrast for as low as $150.

"C"
advertisement