Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fentanyl patch

MelWMMelW Posts: 427
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Pain Medications
Okay so I have been on the patch for about 3 weeks now and it is really helping with my pain level, from an 8 before to about a 3-4 most of the time, with the occasional day days still. Anyway, I have been having a heck of a time getting the sticky residue off when I take it off to put a new one on. I mean I seriously tear myself up trying to scrub it off. I never put it in the same place by the way :) So far I have tried alcohol, soap (every kind imaginable), shampoo (I had to try something ;-) lol), and hot water, with the soap and shampoo.

Is there anything to use to get it off that will make it to where I do not have to scrub my skin off, literally?????

As always, any info/suggestions will be appreciated.

• I think we're not supposed to use alcohol to get that sticky goo off but it's best to check the patient pamphlet. I could never get that stuff off until I switched to MS Contin and it was like 2 months before it totally went away. That's one good reason not to put it on your chest.

PS I'm glad the Fentanyl patches are helping you.
  • I take them off by putting your index finger in the center and gently loosen the ends like rolling them in bits at a time all around. If that doesn't work they sell adhesive remover at the Pharmacy or health supply stores. I don't have the Fentanyl patch just removed it from people with gloves on of course. I'm glad you're getting pain relief from the patch. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Glad you are getting some pain relief. Ah but the sticky residue?

I know exactly what you are talking about with the scrubbing of the skin off. I've done it to myself a few too many times.

This may sound crazy but what I tend to do is let it go for a few hours. When the adhesive gets good and dry I will then use a dry towel or even my finger and continually brush over it going in only one direction. (It's kind of like rolling off a piece of tape.) I find the adhesive has to be good and dry. When I use a wet cloth and scrub using a back and forth motion is when I scrub my skin off.

It works for me, for the most part.

I have no idea if this made sense or helps.
  • Hi Mel,

I am so glad that the patch is working so well for your pain! I find that some brands are much worse than others with the adhesives. I agree with Frog that letting it dry out and get hard makes it easier to remove without removing skin. I too have tried everything and found that the harder and dryer it became, the easier it was to gently remove by patiently rubbing it off with your finger. It ends up coming off like rubber cement, but it takes patience. I stay in one direction just like Frog does. It sounds weird, but it truly works. I hope that this helps you.

Good Luck!!
    glo :)
  • I had my first month with a generic patch and it did that to me. I just had to let it stay sometimes until it would rub off easier. I've heard that baby oil will help but then it might make it harder to use the next patch. Last month and the next two, they wrote me the brand Duragesic and they don't leave a residue or anything and they seem to stick better. I've had a problem after a shower if I forget where it's at and scrub it with soap, then the edges will come up and it's no time before it comes off. I have to tape down the sides.

I have to say it was like a miracle for me the first month after the first week or so being on them. I felt like a semi-new person....don't want to go to far. But I had the same experience as you, 8-10 and then down to a 3-4 most days. I've since had a posterior cervical fusion C4-6 to stabilize my non-unions and even with extra Lortab 7.5's, I can't really tell as much with them. I'm afraid not to use it though, since they say you can have a worse detox effect with these patches.

Hope you find a livable solution. The watson brand itched me by the last day and left the glue, but the brand Duragesic doesn't itch and hasn't left the glue. I had more trouble with the Watson brand trying to come off easier.
  • There is a cream of some sort that is used mostly on patients who have to wear heart monitors at home for many days and need to change their patches around every few days. I just can not think of the name of it right now - sorry.

You rub the cream all over the sticky area and it removes the "glue".

I bet if you call a pharmacy they can tell you what it is called.

I have been on the same name brand of patch and never have this issue - thankfully :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thanks all! This has been very helpful. I change my patch today so I will have to try some of the things suggested and see which one works best.

Take care all!
  • What I found that works great are a couple of things. Make-up remover works real well, but you want the kind that has oil in it. I've heard that there are colostomy wipes that work good too. They are at medical supply stores. And if all else fails, Goo Begone works in 2 seconds. Put some on a cotton ball and you don't have to rub hard, it comes right off. I hate the smell so then I wash it off. It's cheap and easy!
  • Thanks Chrissy, I never would have thought of those ideas. I will keep them in mind for myself should I run into this situation :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Goo Begone! Incredible. Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks Chrissy!
  • finger nail polish remover works the best!!
  • Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

My poor skin is rubbed raw in a few places so i am happy to hear of a little less harsh ways to do it. I have had a few spots that have bled because I did not realize how hard I tried rubbing it off!

I have not been able to get online much lately due to work, I am swimming in work right now! I have to work all weekend too, which is not normally something I have to do, 12 hour days but not weekends. I am sure I will pay for it in the next few days. I already woke up this morning and could barely get out of bed. This patch works but if I push it too hard I am hurting.
  • Hi "stranger" :H I am slowly getting back to being active on here again :)

Are you allowed/ suppose to work that long?

Sorry to hear all this :(
  • I havent had any problem with the sticky residue left over from the patches. I dont hardly touch my arm after removing the patch. I remove it when I bathe and throw the patch in the toilet, then take the warm wash cloth and go over it once or twice. No scrubbingh or rubbing. My skin stays wet looking where the patch was sitting even after I dry off from bathing but by the next morning its gone and my skin feels just like the rest of my arm.
    Maybe you should just stop scrubbing and let it dry instead. If you continue to scrub your skin off literally, youre gonna end up with nowhere to apply the fresh patches as you are not suppose to apply them to areas of broken skin.

Good luck,

Christina >:D<
  • Good Morning~
    Maybe it's just me...but, when I was using the patch I never, ever put my patch on the same place twice...until I run out of places. What works best for me is either my breast or my thigh...of course they are covered. And...yes, the adhesive is a $^@&*!!!
  • Oh I never put them in the same place twice :) I really was unsure of where all you can put it. I had been putting them on my arms but didnt really like it so then someone said my belly so I have been doing that for the last month and a half or so. I didnt know you could put them on your breast.... that would be much better and it would be hidden :) It is summer time and I am ready for the bikini, without a patch hanging on my belly :) lol

I found this stuff at the medical supply store and it is awesome! It takes the sticky stuff off right away. It seems like some people have problems with them sticking really good and leaving the sticky stuff on them and some have no problems at all. Not sure why.

Either way, even with some of the bad days I have had, they are still better with this patch then they were before I had the patch.

As always, take care all.