Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

painfully spot on back

rplatt56rrplatt56 Posts: 116
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I had SCS implant done on Jul 7 09. I have had very little problems until this morning. Now i have a very tender spot on my back near the incision area. I do not feel any raised area or tenderness until i sit back in a chair. Its almost like someone is sticking their thumb into my back. I'm thinking it might be scar tissue pressing on the nerves. Going to give it some time to see if it releives itself on its own prior to contacting my PM.

• Did you do anything extra, bend, stretch?
    If so it could simply be that you strained or pulled on your anchor leads. Unless it is severe, it usually is just a sign that says, "don't do that". In a day or two it usually calms down, ice can help/

You would be advised to have it looked at to make sure there is no red hot areas, infection, or that you did not really pull the lead. An Xray will usually show a pulled lead or leads right away.

I have been dealing with sore anchors for the last week plus. My 100lb dogs health was failing and I had no choice but to lift and haul him to where he needed to go. In this instance I would suffer the pain rather than see him suffer. I am thankful for the time we got to spend with him and so very sorry he had to leave us.

Back on topic, straining the lead seems to hurt slightly less every time I do it. It seems to be less sharp and more a deeper pain. I suspect I will ask my doc if we should not take an xray to be sure all is ok. I really have broken every rule he gave me these last couple of weeks. Stimulation seems slightly "wrong". Still works, but the coverage seem different. I expect to be a while getting things gone over.

• nope i havent bent or twisted in any of the wrongs ways. I did slightly pull a lead about 12 weeks post op so i know what that feels like. I have been taking it somewhat easy since then. Even wear a back brace at work ask PM asked. This symptom just came up out of the blue. Thats why im thinking it might be scar tissue pressing on the nerve. Its not hot to the touch or even sensitive to touch. It only appears when im sitting down and only in a small area. Like you, Im male and stubborn. So i usually give it some time before i go running to the PM. Seem to get chewed out by her more often then not concerning this.
  • I'm only 6 wks out from my implant however, so part of my issue is the healing process.....
    But let me ask you this.....

When you turn your SCS ON do you feel a wierd type of 'pressure/pulling' sensation in your back where you describe?
    This has been happening lately to me!

When I first turn on my unit, BEFORE the stimulation begins in my legs, I get this 'grabbing' feeling where the incision in my back is. I can only assume it has something to do with the lead?
    Has this happened to anyone else?

It is a VERY uncomfortable feeling and now I realize it is what was contributing to the severe pain in my back in the thread I started a week or so ago.

I will be going to my first re-programming session in 2 wks and my hope is that this is a simple matter of a program being adjusted. I hope it doesn't have something to do with the lead becoming misplaced. It doesn't happen ALL the time, so it must be a programming issue ....... i hope ?

Anyway, I hope your issue gets taken care of and that it doesn't cause any further discomfort.

• yes it is a pulling/sharp pain when i turn the SCS on. I have figured it out that it only happens on 2 out of my 5 programs. These 2 programs are almost identical except for frequency. I think it has to do with the program itself. It didnt do it at first but now is. So to solve my problem i just wont use these programs until i sss the PM. Ive tried since implant to change which programs i use around so that my body doesnt get used to one over the other. But it seems to be over my incision.
  • SAME HERE! I only have 3 programs to choose from and I'm down to only using one of them at this point. It doesn't do that 'grabbing' thing at the incision site...
    So, most probably, like you say, it's a matter of getting our programs tweeked.

Hopefully we'll end up with more to choose from.
    I kick myself for not calling sooner to get re-programmed. Now I have to wait till the end of this month B4 the Reps will be back in town.

Oh well, I'll manage.

Let's compare notes when we get tweeked :)