Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hernated disc

cinhooccinhoo Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Lower Back Pain

what does a hernated disc feel like? besides pain

• It varies from patient to patient.
    I still learning but I probably had DDD & Bulging disc for years. This would cause occassional leg pain (b/c my back hurt in the lower back) due to pressure on the sciatic nerve.

When I experienced the annular tear hernated disc, I felt/heard a pop and saw stars. I could not get out of bed. I tried for 10 hours - usuing weight belt for support, ibuprofin, Noreflex (muscle relaxer), tylenol with codeine, and my PCP even started me on Medro pack to see if steroid would get swelling down.

I lost a HUGE piece of the disc and you couldn't see the sciatic nerve. I ended up in ER with IV of drugs and everywhere I hurt, went numb.

But my herniation was big.
    Generally an MRI can help confirm herniation but many times they need to combine MRI with symptoms to confirm that you have a nerve compressed due to herniation. Some signs you may have herniated disc are cramping, loss of strength in a limb, loss of feeling in a limb.
  • If it is a lumbar disc, sometimes it can feel like you have pulled a hamstring. There can be a pain in the back of the thigh, like you've run too far. There can be NO back pain...just a generalized disturbed feeling in a leg.

It does not have to be any type of dramatic feeling in the lower back...sometimes the patient does not feel anything in the back. It can be all in the leg. I know when my husband ruptured the L5-S1, he had hamstring pain for several weeks. He though he had pulled a muscle. Then he had flu-like symptoms. Then the morning before Christmas he awakened and could not get out of bed. So we concluded that the disc must have been slowly ruptured for a six week period...he just wasn't aware of it.
  • I was a runner.
    I was feeling calve cramping for about a month before I ruptured my disc. I never thought much of it b/c it felt like a muscle cramp so I started increasing my potassium by eating bananas and properly stretching.

When my sciatic nerve hurt before, it was always more of a hamstring like pain or nerve pain that was more 'uncomfortable' down the back of my leg.

Occassionally I would get a 'twinge' from my back if I tried to stretch as if it was a hamstring pain.

It can be dull, sharp, and/or feel like a muscle cramp or persistent dull pain.
  • When I first injured my back it was like a weakness not being able to barely get up or walk without back pain and leg pain and numbness in my lateral calf and foot. There were other signs like facet joint problems going on which caused back pain. I still have back pain with DDD and perhaps because of the decreased height of the disc there's probably nerve compression involving my leg very similar to when my L5-S1 was herniated. So yes other than pain there is weakness and limb numbness with tingling. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.