Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

mjyfgslmmjyfgsl Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone had a laminectomy by either Dr.ABC or Dr.XYZ in NY ? I have to make up my mind by April 9.

Post edited by Authority Member haglandc to remove the names of medical professionals

• I think folks will have to PM you with the information as we aren't allowed to discuss specific surgeons on here.

• please see your private messages
  • Thanks , I just joined 2 days ago,I was not aware
  • Yes, it's a great place to post up but for obvious reasons I think the moderators will tell you/others not to be specific with names.

I just replied so you know to look at your inbox as people may reply directly to you.

Just curious, they want to do a laminectomy? Do you know what level? What symptoms are you having? Sounds like you feel you are in an urgent situation. Have you met them both? I only ask so many questions because sometimes both doctors may be equally as qualified but you may have a better connection/communication with one over the other.

If you had time, I would say can you meet with each of them and get their insight.

The key to surgery is to never assume. I learned that it's ok to ask for what to expect after surgery from pain relief, recovery, time in hospital, what could go wrong, etc. is key. Then use that for post op communication. IF you aren't doing as well as they say, tell them. Do not feel as if you are criticizing their work. They are human so if you don't feel as good, you let them know and never worry about insulting them.

I wish I knew the doctors but hopefully these are some considerations.

Oh - you can also ask the doctors if they ahve any patient referrals.
  • I have had 4 surgical opinions and have been to 3 Neurologists over the past few weeks .I was told that I need a Laminectomy and a L4-5 Discectomy .
    A friend of mine had surgery with one of the doctors several years ago and someone I know is having surgery tomorrow with the other doctor.

Aside from these 2 I was not impressed by either of the other Neurosurgeons .
  • What part of NY are you looking in?

• Just repost the area of NY you are looking for someone to PM you about the surgeons. It looks like that was removed when the dr. names were edited.

That being said, you are wise to be searching for a doctor you are comfortable with. I would meet with these doctors and ask them about your current condition and what they will do if this operation doesn't work. The reason I suggest this is because it's good to build a relationship with the doctor.

I had a microD back in Aug'09. When it failed, I decided it was worth looking around. I liked my doctor but I decided this back thing was going to be one where I needed to feel good about short and possible long term care.

I searched and searched and almost came back to my original surgeon. I found some doctors that were even more aggressive and proud of their successes than they were to listening to what my needs, questions, fears were. They were all professional but I needed a doctor that was qualified AND that I could connect to. And, honestly, that my husband also trusted as he was going to be my advocate.

I found 2 doctors that had good reputations and were fellowship trained. Both happened to be Neurosurgeons. They were both good at listening to me and giving me options to decide from before making their suggestion. They both had patience to answer my 'what if' questions without telling me 'not to worry'.

I ultimately ended up selecting the NS that recommended the course of action that my original surgeon and a reputable clinic recommended. I'm more conservative in nature and I selected the doctor that approached my back the same way.
  • Thanks to a PM I received I believe I have found the doctor to do the surgery .

While I understand why the Moderators chose to remove doctors names I did see a post made by a board member with many posts in which a doctors name apparently has been on the board since posted last year.
  • I am having surgery this month .A suggestion to all is to check out to see if a surgeon has been sued for malpractice.A very prominent NY surgeon recommended to me had to pay out vast amounts in 4 malpractice cases
  • Hi mjy. Just to let you know, last year, there were limited moderator resources and of course some things were missed. We now have an authority group that helps the moderators and administrator, but unfortunately some posts still get by us, hopefully less than before, but some still do.

We do the best we can, but by all means, if you see a post that breaks forum rules, feel free to PM any one of the moderators or authority members to get it taken care of.

Thanks for your understanding.