Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hey everyone here's a update

ceecee41cceecee41 Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey I just wanted to write so I could let everyone know what is going on I am still dealing with a great deal of surgical pain and also my RSD PAIN it has been a horrible experience I have constant swelling in my rt arm and left leg to the point I can't wear my regular shoes I need you guys to please pray for me I am having problems trying to get with another dr to try to treat THE RSD I still have to go to the ortho for my fusion surgery but it has been a chore dealing with the workers comp on this. I would like any type of advice because I have had some really tough hurdles to jump and some days I can't even write due to the swelling in my arm and fingers.

• The only advice I can give is don't give up, especially when it comes to work comp. You've got a whole online community behind you plus your live support, keep pushing to get what you need!

• you have my prayer coming at you. Please keep fighting till you win.

• I'm sorry you're continuing to have problems. I don't have experience with RSD, but know it can be very painful and debilitating. Hang in there.

I don't have any advice, but wanted to tell you that I'm thinking of you and hoping you get the help you need after all you've been through.

• Ceecee, could you let me know what RSD is please?
    So sorry to hear that you are still having so many problems.

I really hope that your future holds better days for you.
    I'll continue to pray for you.
    You have lots of friends on here who care and will be cheering for you Ceecee
  • I hate links because I either don't go there or I get lost and never get back - lol

Ceecee is your RSD from this surgery or a prior one?

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
    By: Peter F. Ullrich, Jr., MD Font sizeAAAReflex sympathetic dystrophy is a complex, poorly understood condition that can result in chronic pain in the upper extremity. There is usually some traumatic event (injury or surgery) to the upper extremity that starts the pain syndrome. A pain pathway is then set up that continues on after the traumatic injury has resolved.

It is thought that this is a sympathetically mediated condition, in which overactivity in the sympathetic nerves creates constriction of the arteries that supply blood to the arm.

This pathway has not been clearly explained, but it is known that injecting the sympathetic nerves as they come out of the spine (stellate ganglion block) often relieves the pain.

Treatment is most successful if started early in the course of the disease. If it is allowed to proceed very long there can be permanent changes in the nerves and muscles that lead to chronic pain.

The treatment typically includes a combination of:

A stellate ganglion block
    Medications that block the sympathetic nerves
    Physical therapy (after the block and medications) to mobilize and strengthen the upper extremity.
  • For the clear explanation :-)
  • Sending a prayer your way!
    Don't give up...press your phone workers comp contact or disability center to be your advocate.

I'm glad you were able to stop in for a quick update. I hope you overcome the peak of this pain soon and start feeling better.
  • So good to hear from you! Was wondering how you have been. I'm sorry to hear of you pain with the RSD. I don't have any experience but pray that you will find someone to give you some relief. what have you done previously for the RSD? Do you think the surgery has flared it more? Hang in there girl and hope you can get things settled down. Lynette
  • >:D< hi ceecee
    so sorry so much pain and alot going on,i don't have any advice and don't know anything of what that is..
    i do and will have special prayers for you..
    stay strong,and i hope you have good ppl around you for support..
    god bless you
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Wanted to tell everyone is is due to the recent surgery that I had it is a very painful and on top of the fusion it has been difficult right now my husband is preparing to deploy back to iraq and we are trying to prevent it due to my new problems just waiting to get referred to a neurologist because they need to see what stage the RSD is in right now thanks so much I will try to get online as much as possible I really could use the support.
  • I really needed that you guys are truly like family.
  • Thanks so much how are you doing since your surgery hope all is well with you and yes the surgery has made it worst it is awful but please keep me in your prayers.
  • For putting the information about RSD so people can understand what symptoms I am dealing with I appreciate the support sorry it has been so long I have been away been trying to get to another dr because the one I have he doesn't treat RSD So I will be seeing 2 doctors it will be hard for me but I know I will come through this.
  • Thanks so much. This is what RSD is.
    About CRPS

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), also known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, is a chronic neurological syndrome characterized by:

severe burning pain
    pathological changes in bone and skin
    excessive sweating
    tissue swelling
    extreme sensitivity to touch
    [For a complete description of CRPS symptoms, please read the Diagnosis section of the Clinical Practice Guidelines section of this website.]

There are Two Types of CRPS - Type I and Type II

CRPS Type I (also referred to as RSD) - cases in which the nerve injury cannot be immediately identified
    CRPS Type II (also referred to as Causalgia) - cases in which a distinct "major" nerve injury has occurred
    CRPS is best described in terms of an injury to a nerve or soft tissue (e.g. broken bone) that does not follow the normal healing path
    CRPS development does not appear to depend on the magnitude of the injury. The sympathetic nervous system seems to assume an abnormal function after an injury.
    Since there is no single laboratory test to diagnose CRPS, the physician must assess and document both subjective complaints (medical history) and, if present, objective findings (physical examination).
    Criteria for Diagnosing

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type I (RSD)

The presence of an initiating noxious event, or a cause of immobilization
    Continuing pain, allodynia, or hyperalgesia with which the pain is disproportionate to any inciting event
    Evidence at some time of edema, changes in skin blood flow (skin color changes, skin temperature changes more than 1.1°C difference from the homologous body part), or abnormal sudomotor activity in the region of the pain
    This diagnosis is excluded by the existence of conditions that would otherwise account for the degree of pain and dysfunction

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type II (Causalgia)

The presence of continuing pain, allodynia, or hyperalgesia after a nerve injury, not necessarily limited to the distribution of the injured nerve
    Evidence at some time of edema, changes in skin blood flow (skin color changes, skin temperature changes more than 1.1°C difference from the homologous body part), or abnormal sudomotor activity in the region of pain
    This diagnosis is excluded by the existence of conditions that would otherwise account for the degree of pain and dysfunction.
    Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
    from ABC TV Science

• Angie thanks for the encouragement I appreciate it.
  • Thanks so much for the support I really need it and I thank God for spine-health it has helped me through some really tough patches with my upcoming surgery my surgery and now the after effects you guys are like my family it is good to share things with someone who is going through the same things you are.
  • Oh boy, I had you confused with someone else. I was thinking you just broke up with your boyfriend....I hope your husband will get a reprieve and will be able to stay with you.

The diagnosis of RSD is a big shock, I am sure. It seems like one of those things, like arachnoiditis, without a cure. But there are some really exciting developments on the horizon...in the not too distant future...so even if the news sounds really discouraging, try not to be devastated. Also, there are so many degrees of RSD. Hopefully yours is mild and they'll be able to find the right meds to treat you.

Remember, we're all here to try to support you...to listen when you want to vent, and to try to offer a little bit of hope when things seem bleak.

Hang in there -- this, too, will pass.

• Hi Ceecee. Just wanted to let you know you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers. Please thank your husband for us for the services and sacrifices the two of you are willing to make for our country.

I'm sorry to hear about the RSD, hopefully you will be able to meet with the neurologist soon. Have you found anything that helps the pain?

Thinking of you and wishing you a speedy and complete recovery! Shari
  • Howdy. I've followed a lot of your posts and such. I am so sorry that you are continuing such a painful journey. As for WC, like others have said DO NOT give up. I truly hope that your hubby gets to stay and be there for you. *HUGZ* <-- Gentle of course! You have great inner strength and spirit. Good luck, and positive energy heads your way!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Sending you >:D< >:D< >:D<

As others have said "don't give up" and I hope it won't be long before you see the neurologist and can get some relief from the RSD. I also hope that your husband won't be deployed just yet and can help you through this.

The info on RSD that Gwennie posted sounds like there's hope for sufferers like you.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Is very complex and highly misdiagnosed. Many people are told they have it when doctors fail to look for other possible overlapping issues and nearly just as many people are misdiagnosed and treated for totally unrelated problems.

Just in the past few years, the International Association for the Study of Pain IASP, came to the conclusion that the staging concept of RSD/CRPS is fairly worthless. The course of the disease seems to be so unpredictable between various patients, that staging is not helpful in the diagnosis and treatment of RSD / CRPS

One thing that is not fully explained in the snip a few posts back from Dr. Ulrich, is that RSD/CRPS can strike any limb. In fact people tend to present with more definitive signs and symptoms associated with the lower limbs.

There are many treatment options for RSD, but there's no known cure for it. One of the key factors in treating RSD/CRPS is to get the effected limb moving once again.

Now on a side note. One BIG consideration that anyone who suffers from RSD/CRPS should take note of ... further surgery can serve as a catalyst for the disease to progress.

Charlotte, have your doctors discussed the issue of the potential to make the RSD/CRPS worse or spread it if you go ahead with the next fusion surgery?

• I haven't gotten anymore information from my doctor they are trying to get me with a neurologist I saw my Ortho dr on post for a second opinion who has treated several people with RSD you have to have a doctor who knows how to treat it but he told me I need to go to a neurologist because my surgeon does not treat RSD I have to get a bone scan to see what stage it is in. So I haven't gotten any more information than that waiting for WC TO APPROVE me to see another DR or neurologist.
  • I know there is hope thanks so much for the encouragement.
  • It really means alot to me all the spiney love that I have been receiving it is tough when your dealing with physical pain but the emotional pain is just as bad especially if my husband leaves to Iraq it will be a long journey because I am in a state with no family.
  • Thanks so much I know I will make it through.
  • You have always been such a good support not just to me to everyone on spine health thanks for always getting information to us concerning our situations. I know that all will be well and I still keep you in my prayers all the time.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Hi CeeCee:

Depending on how long you've been out of work, consider applying for Social Security Disability especially after you get a further evaluation of the RSD. If you have a WC attorney he/she may be able to refer you to a SS attorney (don't just trust that the WC atty can deal with SS). If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I used to work in STD/LTD and we did a lot of work with SS. Also, if your employer offers any LTD look into that as well. While most STD plans exclude WC, most LTD plans allow you to be on WC at the same time. What they do is deduct from LTD what you are receiving from WC.

Applying for SS doesn't imply, for you, that things wont improve. But it helps you out if things dont improve to the level where you can get back to work. I'm in a similar boat as I've been out of work about a year and now have to apply for SS even though I don't know if I can return to work in a few months, a few years or never.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks so much for the information I go to the Pain management dr on the 29April so I will have more information and I will pm you with any further questions which I know I will have thanks so much for your encouragement and your support
  • Thanks so much for the information I go to the Pain management dr on the 29April so I will have more information and I will pm you with any further questions which I know I will have thanks so much for your encouragement and your support
  • Hey there girl! You've been through so much and like many others, I have been following you as much as possible thru this computer. I've often wished for good things to come your way soon!

Just wanted to add my two cents to the disability thought. I believe at this point, you need to pursue that and instead of messing with all the BS of it, just go straight to a good, reputable lawyer who deals in that. You'll have to do a little research in your area to find a good one but you can do that, I'm sure. Go ahead and just hand it all over to him and he'll get you backpay and everything. He'll of course, take his cut too. It will probably be worth all the hassle at this point in your life, though. Remember, you pay into that so that when a time like this happens, you have something to lean on.

I am on your side and hope for this all to come to a timely end and a positive end so that you can get on with living! Hang tough as you have already been doing...you have folks pulling for you from all over!